Post your ideas for the playground map!

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Post your ideas for the playground map!

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:51 pm

So, now that the cat is out of the bag on our Playground type map, I thought maybe you guys would like to cite your ideas in a thread here.

NOTE: Think of the playground a big-ass skateboard/bike/blade park - one that takes advantage of the car's flippable nature, wall/ceiling driving, supreme speed, etc. Just come up with fun things to do. There could even be areas to reach via doing certain maneuvers or navigating tough obstacles.

We've already got a bunch of ideas and have put some in the level, but more are always welcome, so go nuts! :)

EDIT: If you'd like some inspiration, check out the playground map Bugbear did for Next Car Game (wreckfest)
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... playground

Mind you, most of the obstacles in their playground are geared toward vehicle destruction more than anything.
Game Director
GRIP

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Post your ideas for the playground map!

Postby StickyBassline » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:47 pm

King of the hill!

And another idea was a similar gamemode to mario karts balloon battle ;)
You're just a voice pal.

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:50 pm

Little list of my ideas:
  • uneven terrain
  • rough terrain
  • mountainous terrain
  • flat ground (dirt, tarmac, grass, etc.)
  • ramps of varying sizes
  • destructible environment
  • small tracks (really basic ones) to test car handling on different surfaces
  • tunnels with different inclinations
  • big oval and/or long strip of tarmac for speed test
  • obstacles for practicing dodging
  • pickups to use
  • object that use certain weapons on you (trigger-able)
  • skate park area (as suggested)

Just a start :ugeek:
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:17 pm

Loops. Don't forget loops. Preferably with various types of terrain.
! ! ! RUNNING THE BEST OS EVER ! ! !

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:55 am

For starters, just make the map one massive enclosed sphere (with windows for cool visuals). Other than that, stuff that has already been suggested in landvaarders post above. Maybe have the option to activate ghost cars to go up against for racing and weapon testing. Just go nuts in here with as many variants of gradient and surface viscosity's as possible. Is weather a thing in this game? maybe throw that in to.

Just for my visual jollies, how about an area that resembles a monster truck arena with old wrecks of Grip cars to use as ramps and obstacles, all with fireworks going off :lol:

Another thing I just thought of - I know for most people, crazy stuff to do is what counts, however, there may be players like me who want to cruise just enjoying the environment while chilling to some tunes. Maybe the playground isn't the right area for this, I don't know. Maybe an unlock.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:04 am

Something upside-down to drive on - a big ceiling somewhere, so we (and of course you) can test handling/driving of the cars on ceilings. Maybe put some bumps on it to test how well the cars hold on.

Oh, and jumps/ramps. Maybe put a few respawning destructible objects (small boxes or something) so we can have fun jumping through things too? (and to test how well the engine copes with all those physics bodies flying around :p

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm no longer doing a poll since this didn't get the feeback I initially thought it would.

Just keep posting ideas here.

Try to think of obstacles in specific that would be interesting.

StickyBassline wrote:King of the hill!

Yiss, we've thought of this and are wanting to include this extended game mode in arena

landvaarder wrote:Little list of my ideas:
  • object that use certain weapons on you (trigger-able)

We've thought of the rest of the list, but this could be good. Sort of a tutorial on how the weapons affect you.

the-GURU-man wrote:Loops. Don't forget loops. Preferably with various types of terrain.

Yep, a loop-di-loop is planned

Roq wrote:For starters, just make the map one massive enclosed sphere (with windows for cool visuals)

Another thing I just thought of - I know for most people, crazy stuff to do is what counts, however, there may be players like me who want to cruise just enjoying the environment while chilling to some tunes. Maybe the playground isn't the right area for this, I don't know. Maybe an unlock.

The idea of having a spherical cage you drive into then race around is pretty cool

We do have a vehicle testing ground map that we generally just cruise around. Maybe I could include a version of it that you can just cruise around, drifting.

KazzyMac wrote:Something upside-down to drive on - a big ceiling somewhere, so we (and of course you) can test handling/driving of the cars on ceilings. Maybe put some bumps on it to test how well the cars hold on.

Oh, and jumps/ramps. Maybe put a few respawning destructible objects (small boxes or something) so we can have fun jumping through things too? (and to test how well the engine copes with all those physics bodies flying around :p

Ha, if you hit a bump while driving on the ceiling, you are no longer driving on the ceiling.

Yes, respawning destructibles is cool. Things with varying degrees of toughness (shatter, break, crumble, barely fracture)
Game Director
GRIP

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:45 pm

Ok, specifics. I want a skyscraper we can ride not only over, but in. Think Fast and Furious 7. Smash through the widows and race down the corridor (smashing up desks and workstations) and smash out the other side falling 20 storys only to hit a half pipe that takes me riding up the side of another building launching vertically off the top. Or ride down the elevator shaft and come rocketing out through the lobby area and through the massive glass front of the building. Just because. So yeah, a city area but the streets are all curved so all the building can be raced on.

Sewer tunnel system with linking tubular tunnels that rise above the ground level. Think water slides. Actually, is standing water a thing in this game?

Don't know why, but I like the idea of a lot of clear surfaces to ride on. Either glass or even an energy beam surface - just so I can race over bridges and through loops with tons of visibility for jaw dropping heights.

I guess in a general way, I'd like objects that seem to have an obvious way to tackle it, but then you can find crazy ways to traverse things. Again, think of a bridge, but you can also ride up the supports and ramp off the top of the suspension pylons only to land on a building you couldn't get to before (coz the top lip of the building curved outwards??)

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:10 am

The playground map from Motorstorm RC comes to mind. That one was literally a playground. With basketball and soccer nets. It also had some "platforming" stuff. Where you have to precisely navigate some platforms and stuff. So for GRIP, it would be cool to have soccer balls and goals as well. It would also be cool to have a precision driving section, like a driving school type thing.
"Hollow the leader"

Moo

Postby Moo » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:33 pm

All the ideas posted up there, I can agree with them. Personally, I'd give it the looks of the Jahtra planet, with an industrial complex kind of environment.
sus

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:24 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Ha, if you hit a bump while driving on the ceiling, you are no longer driving on the ceiling.

I saw it as being able to test the downforce (and ground-holding) of the cars, having some uneven upside-down terrain to demonstrate how well the car's downforce works and how fast you need to be going to have the downforce to keep on?

Maybe I'm just overthinking it but eh, I just like flying off of things :mrgreen:

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:15 pm

Roq wrote:Ok, specifics. I want a skyscraper we can ride not only over, but in. Think Fast and Furious 7. Smash through the widows and race down the corridor (smashing up desks and workstations) and smash out the other side falling 20 storys only to hit a half pipe that takes me riding up the side of another building launching vertically off the top. Or ride down the elevator shaft and come rocketing out through the lobby area and through the massive glass front of the building. Just because. So yeah, a city area but the streets are all curved so all the building can be raced on.

Sewer tunnel system with linking tubular tunnels that rise above the ground level. Think water slides. Actually, is standing water a thing in this game?

Don't know why, but I like the idea of a lot of clear surfaces to ride on. Either glass or even an energy beam surface - just so I can race over bridges and through loops with tons of visibility for jaw dropping heights.

I guess in a general way, I'd like objects that seem to have an obvious way to tackle it, but then you can find crazy ways to traverse things. Again, think of a bridge, but you can also ride up the supports and ramp off the top of the suspension pylons only to land on a building you couldn't get to before (coz the top lip of the building curved outwards??)

This is very, very specific, ha. And this city area idea would take up quite a bit of dev time. We are really keeping it simple in terms of aesthetic (ala Next Car Game's playground), but the obstacles can be pretty difficult to navigate, while combining simple shapes to make them up.

These ideas would more suit an actual track. Driving up the side of a building in Orbital Prime would be pretty awesome, as well as on glass surfaces that would break, having the player fall to a different level of track.

As for your last comment about cool ways to traverse things... I think you'll like the arena ;)

NecroWolf12 wrote:The playground map from Motorstorm RC comes to mind. That one was literally a playground. With basketball and soccer nets. It also had some "platforming" stuff. Where you have to precisely navigate some platforms and stuff. So for GRIP, it would be cool to have soccer balls and goals as well. It would also be cool to have a precision driving section, like a driving school type thing.

So far I've got a few obstacles made which allow for some really precise driving. Could be seen as an homage to RC2's scramble mode, but to be honest, I didn't play it much. But yeah, there should be some stuff in the playground for everyone.

In terms of sports stuff, we may just stay away from soccer as that is already covered by Rocket League, but basketball is kinda cool. I'll see what I can do.

KazzyMac wrote:Maybe I'm just overthinking it but eh, I just like flying off of things :mrgreen:

Oh you'll have plenty of chances to do that, don't worry
Game Director
GRIP

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:01 pm

Here's video of the playground section from Motorstorm RC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NINaezsMCp8

The basketball hoop is on the top of a quarter pipe. Actually, skateboard-style half pipes, quarter pipes and megaramps might be cool things to have as well. Maybe even a GRIP long jump :p
"Hollow the leader"

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:51 pm

the playgrounds needs a giant tunnel that spans around the track, filled with boostpads (?) powerups and obstacles to take the wall/celing driving to the max, think of a drivable CERN :D.
this tunnel could have different sections in size, radius and wall angels to see how good transfers work at what speed.

i think most important as landvardaar already said is that the playground features different surfaces to test around with the games physics, several ovals , each made of different surfaces with small hills and bumps to see how the cars handel, how powerups , tunnels/walls made of differen surfaces handle and so on.

also jumps in differen heights/angels so maybe we can fight the biggest problem that RC had, random collsion when landing.

being able to give yourself any powerup, anytime in unlimited quantity

one specific thing i'd like to see would be huuuge drop.
like a single platform somewhere up in the sky that you can teleport to and just drop your car (and hopefully crash into something that blows up)

also physics toys like cones and rubble to play around :>

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:40 am

well, if you want to do sports, what about something like ice hockey or curling :D
or make fun of tony hawks pro skater and include an U-ramp and some achievement for jumping very high and doing some dumb trick

when it comes to playground track design, I am thinking about trackmania and the crazy stuff you can do there

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:53 am

I like all of the ideas that have been listed above. More so driving up the skyscraper for a track in orbital prime.
I know we are staying away from soccer, but I wanna see a simple soccer field and air horns going off when a ball goes in. Or someone saying GOAAAAAL for an extended period of time.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:39 pm

So you want to play Rocket League then, yellow :P

I like most of the ideas, and I don't see why many of them can't be implemented. Maybe not all in the first version of the playground(s), but the one(s) we release early on should be a lot of fun. There should definitely be a big ass tunnel (or superbowl) where you can pick up speed and mess around.

As much as I like hockey, though, I'm not so sure about that one, GURU. ha
Game Director
GRIP

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Roq » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:04 am

An alternative to Rocket league type game would be an explosive relay race. 2 teams race but the object is to cross the line with an object the cars pick up as they go. the twist? You can only carry the object for 5 seconds without it exploding and destroying your car sending it back to a predetermined check point. You have to drop it tactically so a team mate can pick it up, or either way, you risk the opposition gathering it up. Winning team crosses the line with the object or whatever team held on to it longer for the duration of the race. crashing and weapons make the object explode and drop to the track for another player to grab.

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:10 am

Roq wrote:An alternative to Rocket league type game would be an explosive relay race. 2 teams race but the object is to cross the line with an object the cars pick up as they go. the twist? You can only carry the object for 5 seconds without it exploding and destroying your car sending it back to a predetermined check point. You have to drop it tactically so a team mate can pick it up, or either way, you risk the opposition gathering it up. Winning team crosses the line with the object or whatever team held on to it longer for the duration of the race. crashing and weapons make the object explode and drop to the track for another player to grab.

so it's like rubble soccer, but not
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

the-GURU-man
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby the-GURU-man » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:08 am

Bowling?

Return to “Tracks”