Norvos Volcano Map Concepts

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Norvos Volcano Map Concepts

Postby tjgcrush » Thu May 26, 2016 8:18 pm

so some ideas started to get thrown around with some of the guys about Volcanoes and what maps we should have them on,. . .after a while Chris suggested that they could be on the hellish ice planet Norvos

Nature___Volcanoes_Northern_Lights_over_a_flaming_volcano_098291_.jpg
Nature___Volcanoes_Northern_Lights_over_a_flaming_volcano_098291_.jpg (291.56 KiB) Viewed 7342 times

Which could include

-very dark map with lights only from Auras and buildings
-Very bright and hot underground and above ground caves filled with lava with thick and spiked natural rock bridges over them
-An active volcano in the distance shooting out bits of lava
-bright Auras in the skies slowly moving around
-Large Military facilities used for extracting Raw and pure Minerals from the lava with large see through pipes moving all of it
-mixtures of ice and dark rock parts of the map "due to intense heat"
-Giant excavators laying around from cutting into the mountains to expose lava
-Occasional Magma fragments falling down on the track "either dealing damage enough to insta-kill or that of a leader missile"
-A part of the track that has a lava river coming out of a mountain into a visual only factory with a large metal bridge above said river

i'll try to come up with more ideas over time
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: Norvos Volcano Map Concepts

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Fri May 27, 2016 5:19 am

Man I love Northern Lights.
That's really good picture.
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri May 27, 2016 11:01 am

+1 I pray for more color varieties between planets (sky colors, landscape etc...) to solidify planet identity.

Jahtra should sport a slightly more redish color for the sand btw. All tracks look a bit like they're happening on earth ^^'

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Fri May 27, 2016 2:47 pm

Whoa, that sounds awesome.

And +1 to what Queadah said.

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Sat May 28, 2016 2:41 pm

stay up to date on this thread because im going to be putting up art concepts like that of the super bowl/arena

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun May 29, 2016 1:22 pm

Queadah wrote:+1 I pray for more color varieties between planets (sky colors, landscape etc...) to solidify planet identity.

Jahtra should sport a slightly more redish color for the sand btw. All tracks look a bit like they're happening on earth ^^'

Give it time ;)
Game Director
GRIP

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:31 am

Norvos track.jpg
Norvos track.jpg (431.8 KiB) Viewed 7229 times

just a little bit more and i'll be done ;)

Gier_NL

Postby Gier_NL » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:56 am

Hi all,

This is my first post here.
I just found out about this game yesterday because it was mentioned in a 'top 10 futuristic racing games' video i watched.
As a big Rollcage fan it's needless to say this was an instant-buy situation.

I always loved volcanic themed maps and wanted to make a suggestion, found this topic so i'll leave it here.
Sorry for the long read in advance, it reflects my enthusiasm for this project :P

Here's what i imagine to be the 'ultimate volcanic track':

After the starting line there's a wide track zig-zagging up the volcano's slope.
This part of the track consists of wide lane straight paths going up the slope, ending in hairpin turns followed by a less wide straight path, repeating to the top.
On the straight path's you're dodging rolling(and stationary) rocks and jumping lava flows.
The hairpin turns are wide and allow you to ride on the outer wall to keep your momentum on the outside, or drift on the inside of the corner for a tactical overtake.

Something like this(but not as long winded):

At the top the track spirals downwards into the crater on both sides, players get to choose to go down clockwise or counter-clockwise.
This part consists of a lot of jumps, wall-riding and lava flows.
The 2 paths meet two times on their way down.
The first time the paths meet it's a wall-riding crossing with a lava flow below.
Collisions on this crossing will cause both cars to lose their GRIP and plummet into the lava.

The second time the paths cross will be after a jump, in mid air.
Collisions will result in another hot lava bath.

After some more wall riding the edge of the crater these paths combine again for the last part of the lap.
This part follows a lava flow down a cave towards the outside of the volcano, connecting back to the start\finish.
You'll have to drive on the walls and ceiling for a part of this area because the floor is, quite literally, lava.

I imagine this as a high risk/reward tack.
A small bump, weapon impact or nudge from an opponent will have you falling into a stream of molten rock.

Shortcuts and alternative paths should be extremely risky.
For example, the main track takes a left turn, but players are able to wall ride onto the right wall, behind a "lava-fall"(like a waterfall made of lava), back horizontally onto a jump connecting back to the main track.
The main route will not be as be risky(but by no means safe), but it'll take a bit longer to get to the part the shortcut leads to.
If you hit an obstacle along the way you're bumped into the lava-fall, or off the platform into the lava flow below.

I've got the feeling that i'm describing an existing Rollcage track, or a combination of all lava themed tracks i've played in my life :D
Can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:32 am

Norvos track.jpg
Norvos track.jpg (483.57 KiB) Viewed 7171 times

here we go guys ;)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Indeed a volcano would look cool and the twisting hairpins up the side of a mountain might work as well

Welcome to the forum, Gier ;)
Game Director
GRIP

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:47 pm

I could imagine that the volcanic track would include some long, abandoned (cuz of the recent volcanic eruption) underground mining shaft racing, with lava falls, narrow natural rock bridges leading in the middle of enormous caverns (maybe a giant alien originated face statue in the distance), geysers, basalt columns, glowing mineral crystals sticking out of the terrain, and the likes.

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:43 am

Definitely need lava hazards in tracks. FYI I'm planning on buying GRIP as soon as I get a $10 Steam card, something I haven't been able to do as of yet, so I haven't actually played, but every racing game needs lava XD
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

XT3

Postby XT3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:31 pm

Ok this idea I like. I can get behind this.

Mobiusman1

Postby Mobiusman1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:40 am

The contrasting colors of the red from the lava and the green from the northern lights looks AMAZING!!! Some driving above ground and driving below (or in the volcano) would add a great amount of visual variety to a track. Plus with the kick ass music playing while racing just makes the thought of this track all the more exciting! :D

Also, there are some interesting photos to get some inspiration from regarding 'lava tubes' that naturally occur in the real world. Since the majority of them that are created are circular/cylindrical it could make for some fantastic racing moments for a track or an alternate route. Could add some risk/reward if you decide if lava still passes through them or not in the track! ;)

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:30 am

this track has to happen :) yep, the contrast and the potential for unique ideas... yes please :)

Return to “Tracks”