[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
Carkour vs. Scramble - GRIP Video Game Forum

Carkour vs. Scramble

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Carkour vs. Scramble

Postby Django » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:15 pm

I just played Scramble in Rollcage Extreme and i would love Carkour to be much more like Scramble.

- there should be a three second timer at the beginning of each track

- the reset time should be capped in half

- the fog distance should be further away. This makes the space larger.

In Carkour everything feels like a trickjump section. In Scramble its more trick racing. What i mean is that in Scramble the tracks are much more race oriented and have a large variety of elements. Carkour feels a bit like Tony Hawks Pro Skater with a evil camera. So yeah maybe some more tracks that are more race oriented and a different camera.

What i like about Carkour more is that we have to reach a pickup and not stopping at a finish line. Maybe a mix, reaching a finish line?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Carkour vs. Scramble

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:31 pm

I also agree with Django. I'd like to see longer Carkour maps, where the difficulty comes from enduring a weird track for a quite long time (rather than tricky jumping all day long until you miss)

Check out the for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:04 pm

+1 for Django's bullet points

daktylus

Postby daktylus » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:09 pm

+1

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:50 pm

Currently I'm the only one making Carkour maps, so hopefully we can get more people on board or have a track editor later, then more styles of levels can be made. I can try to do some longer more racing-style ones, but I'm not sure how good I'd be at making them

Wouldn't a 3 second timer at the start of the level waste time and become annoying?

You can hold the reset button instead of waiting for the car to reset automatically.

The fog distance would increase if the levels were larger, yea
Game Director

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:38 am

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:04 pm

Potty is correct. I should have phrased that clearer. I didnt even think about the exact time. Its just about having a timer to give use the short extra moment to get ready.

solidshark91493

Postby solidshark91493 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:04 am

Dont wanna hijack you guys's thread here but I made a post about maps for this. If you guys have some ideas on track designs Im gonna attempt at making them. (Idk if they will use them or not but I want to try it anyway)
So draw up some ideas and let me hear them, can try short, long, technical, etc.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:35 pm

Game Director

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Fully agree with Django here. More race, less trick stuff.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:25 am

And now I want to grind through the entirety of Scramble, make a fabulous high quality video of it, and share with you my anguish at some of those hellish constructs.

Incidentally, the high speed ice tracks were some of my favourite...
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:29 am

Game Director

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:29 am

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:49 pm

kerikeron
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby kerikeron » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:00 pm

I'd like to disagree. I feel like time and effort needs to be put in to complete these courses. Yeah, the first couple of times you beat it might be sheer luck, but that's how you figure out your path.

During the playground competition thing, it's not like I found my route by creating a 3D map and plotting out the fastest route. It was done by trial, error, and luck. While doing a run, I'd mess up and hit something which turned out to be a better route than the original.

I will say that the donut-ramp start track is very hard to nail, but if you're going for record times, you have to leave some things up to luck. Otherwise you just have to slow down to increase precision.

Edit: To clarify, I spent more than 2 hours on the final Carkour level alone and I can most of it pretty regularly. Maybe not right now since I'm out of practice, but it's less about twitch precision and more about strategy and setup.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:01 am

I think there's room for both trick-focused tracks and race-focused tracks. Chris' reaction says enough.

As for the cars being not that precise... It's no Rollcage, that's for sure. I'm sure it'll get better over time; Rob has already made amazing progress the past few months, but we have to keep in mind that GRIP is doing it's own thing.

As for learning a track by heart and beating it somehow not involving skill anymore, I'm with kerikeron on that.

Return to “Tracks”