Suggestions for Yuri Insdustrial

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Volken

Suggestions for Yuri Insdustrial

Postby Volken » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:27 pm

Here are some thing that bug when I usually play yuri industrial that I think need to be changed. Yuri feels really cramped which adds to the difficulty and I have some suggestions here that will not completely remove the difficulty BUT just make it slightly easier to maneuver through some of the choke-points on the track.
1st suggestion: opening up the left side of the starting gate
2nd suggestion: Tweaking the ramp and adding a banked corner to help with joining back into the main lane.
3rd suggestion: This part of the map needs to be streched out a bit, it's way to short and the detour to the left which has a couple of speed boosts is never used because it's at a really bad angle and requires way to much braking power, plus it leads straight into a wall..

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Suggestions for Yuri Insdustrial

Postby Queadah » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:11 pm

+1 for the 1st (just removing the blue barrier could do?)

Maybe for the 2nd.

I live ok the 3rd (aren't there 2 pickups to make it worth anyway?)

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:58 pm

I don't agree on the first and second. I especially love the corner in the second screenshot.

I think the way to the upper path would be too easily to drive when this chokepoint would be opened up. Right now you can only go full throttle if you drive a very good line, if you don't nail it you have to brake. If it was more open it would be too easy to go though (the risk would be too low for the advantage you get) IMO.

And the second spot is pretty similar. If you want to go fast through that corner you need to hit that line perfectly. You can wallride right into the corner, but if you mess it up you have to slow down.

I completely agree on the laste one though. You can do a cool maneuver (I love doing it even though I normally don't go left) where you ride the wall and then drive towards the floor to have contact to ground early and enter this path without much too braking , but the speed pads are terribly angled, sending you right towards the wall. A little more space to rejoin the track there would be nice too. Even though it is doable as it is, you already took a risk to enter this path and the Item you get isn't worth it.

I made a video to show what i am talking about:
https://youtu.be/bG85bEH3vL4

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 am

TheOnLY wrote:I made a video to show what i am talking about:
https://youtu.be/bG85bEH3vL4

Damn your good. :shock:

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:11 pm

Wow yeah, not bad!

Kerake

Postby Kerake » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:03 pm

EDIT: Unnecessary off-topic.
Last edited by Kerake on Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:18 am

Kerake, your post is off-topic.

OT: I agree with Volken. The first suggestion I don't really feel is a 'required change', but #2 & #3 highlights some of the design issues the tracks have.
It's well known in the dev team that the tracks require reworking and at this stage of development it's not unthinkable that things have to change over time anyway due to e.g. altered vehicle handling. However, it's a good thing to highlight current flaws in the track, for future reference.
Thanks, Volken.

Kerake

Postby Kerake » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:25 am

Sorry, it wasn't my intention. It won't happen again.
To add to the debate, I never use those paths since I usually take the pickups that are at the exit of the tunnel in the 2nd case, and I never use the tunnel on the 3rd because the car usually bounces too much on that path. And for the first point, I'm ok with how is it actually that deviation of the track, I don't think that shortcut needs the barrier removed. Just my opinion.

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:03 am

I agree with these suggestions - but yeah, still early days and flow will improve :)

Generally I would like to see more, bigger/taller, banking turns and possibly a bit of widening to the tracks.

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:15 pm

#1 - Not really, that route is already faster and provides protection from Assassins, so making it easier to get into would just make the other route pretty much obsolete.

#2 - Kind of agree and disagree at the same time. I think wallride would be too much of an "easy mode" but definitely something has to be done there. Maybe lower the angle of the approach, aka you can see that part a lot sooner, rather than having a blind hill and going "I'm screwed" because you didn't have a perfect line through that crest. Also does that ramp even needs to be there?
In any case that's probably the most annoying part of the track as you effectively have to learn that one trick to go about it, otherwise you'll most likely crash if you won't slow down (and it's hard to tell that you need to slow down there). Aka it's down to knowledge, not skill per say.
I always use the shortcut route though :D

#3 - Agree here fully. That's the most pointless route of them all. Unless you literally know it's there and are planning to go through it... you can't get into it. And even then it slows you down a lot and the speed pads don't help at all. To make it worthwile, you'd need that route going through those rocks and rejoining with the main one around that banked corner, otherwise it's just slower. Pickups won't change that, as by the time you'll finish doing it, you'll be almost at the next set of pickups anyway.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:06 pm

1: Yuri is supposed to be the most difficult track though. Every other track is a breeze compared to it. If I get rid of the barrier is much easier to take that left route, which is usually the faster route already

2: I have to agree with this in that the corner isn't great. I really need to rework the end of that canyon to flow better but not necessarily make this turn easy to take. That concrete ramp with the barrels was thrown in really quickly as a temporary thing, and somehow stayed there :p

3: Yep, I want to ditch this alternate route entirely (the AI also love to take it and crash). In fact I wanted to rework the whole area so that it's not got rocks on the sides of the road down at the bottom but has the player driving through a proper structure.
Game Director
GRIP

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:35 am

I kinda like the ramp with the barrels. Its really fun to drive off there and knock the barrels, I imagine I am a ski jumper and go "woooooo" everytime. (well, everytime I don't crash)

Volken

Postby Volken » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:33 am

Tathendal wrote:I kinda like the ramp with the barrels. Its really fun to drive off there and knock the barrels, I imagine I am a ski jumper and go "woooooo" everytime. (well, everytime I don't crash)

The ramp itself is not a problem, the problem is it points into a wall. So 9/10 times you go onto the ramp you'll end up crashing into a wall before you even hit the ground. Needs to be changed so you land on the track instead.

Chris_CE wrote:3: Yep, I want to ditch this alternate route entirely (the AI also love to take it and crash). In fact I wanted to rework the whole area so that it's not got rocks on the sides of the road down at the bottom but has the player driving through a proper structure.

You could make it not-so-easy by adding some obstacles. The reason I suggested opening it is just to remove some of the clutter that tends to happen around that area as everyone is trying to get through the gate (Yuri industrial has plenty of tight spaces regardless if this little bit gets opened up).

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:19 pm

I've made some changes to that area of Industrial, so we'll see how you guys like it next patch
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Tracks”