Skytrack - suggestions

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Skytrack - suggestions

Postby Queadah » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:38 pm

This track can really fulfill many fantasy with minor tweaks, so here goes:
  • The fans that make the track float could be at least 3 times as big :) (they look very cool)
  • By default, it should rain lightly on Orbital Prime + rain sound :P
  • Some lightning that brighten the clouds from time to time? + thunder sound? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDq6TstdEi8)
  • Add small flying car traffic lane below the track
  • When possible, vertical portions of the tracks could be tall building tops.
    For instance, turn this:
    into something like this (not finished -must add windows, glow and shading ^^):
  • Remove the rocks and put cubic shapes.
    With a few textures you can emulate a city quickly
  • Light must come from the bottom on this map to simulate an active city below (orange/pink/red glow)

kingbeandip

Re: Skytrack - suggestions

Postby kingbeandip » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:37 pm

I think this track would work well in either an urban, military, swamp, or industrial setting. I'd vote for urban, and make it at night, so that the illuminated floating platforms can really stand out. Sort of reminiscent of Coruscant at night in Star Wars Ep. 2.

Also, it would be cool to be able to shoot down a floating platform used for a shortcut or something.

By the way, the first time we played it together my brother and I loved this track! Good work!

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:05 pm

A couple of bugs I noticed: 1) Sometimes when I fall off I can respawn about halfway around the track. 2) In one place where the track splits (the right is a normal road, while the left is a jump to an upside-down stretch, which then ends before the two paths merge again (I hope that's descriptive enough)), if the AI cars do not hit that jump to the left with enough speed they will fall off, and then respawn before the jump, and fall off again, and respawn, etc. Once we got about 6 cars stuck in that loop. Wherever possible, but especially there, one should not be able to spawn before a jump. 3) Right after that section is an upward half roll. All too often either myself or the AI fails to hit that ramp with enough speed and we fall off at the top. 4) Not really a bug, but sometimes the respawn point is needlessly far back from where I fall off. 5) Also not really a bug, but it would be nice if the deathwall were a higher, so that when you fall off it does not take so long to respawn.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Plastered some skyscraper texture super quick from here

Track could be called "Scaffold" to justify the giant track above a city ;). Sector 17/Maintenance scaffold or whatever.
I mean look at below, just add a telescopic crane and bob is your uncle!!

EVEN BETTER: add a GIANT MAGNET at the end of it that moves and can activate so as to CATCH PLAYERS and you go to a whooooooole new other level!!! :lol:

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Just copying my post from the other thread here:

Chris_CE wrote:Some notes:

There are barriers on much of Skytrack because right now the reset code isn't good enough to have cars flying off the road all the time. It would be a mess. That said, I can easily remove barriers from parts of the track, as well as replace sections with wider track.

SkyTrack is very basic visually, because I was concentrating on gameplay. I actually don't want this one in the city, but rather held up by framework attached to the rocks below. This is supposed to be in an area of the planet that is very toxic and unpopulated, hence GRIP league not being bothered by anyone and their track not getting torn down. I just haven't had time to add more art meshes and connect the track to the environment yet. It will not have an buildings though, unless they were built by the league. We don't have any Orbital Prime assets yet whatsoever

And remember that this is just one track of many that can be of the "Sky Track" variety. Plenty of crazy ideas can go into additional tracks. You want some time to combat other races as well as do crazy flips n turns, etc

Resetting on this track is pretty broken right now. We're working on it
Game Director
GRIP

86ofAkina

Postby 86ofAkina » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:50 pm

For me personally, the layout of the track is perfect. Like the others have already said, an urban styling would be insanely cool. My only real complaints with the track is the reliance on the barrel roll ramps with no real "back up" route, and the spot right before the half loop where the road splits in two near a turn. It's almost impossible to dodge landmines in that portion of the track, and since the landmines boost your car upwards it seems to throw you over the edge almost consistently. Combined with the wonky spawning, it completely breaks the track.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:27 am

Hey, welcome 86ofAkina :)

Now because I'm stubborn... ;)

Volken

Postby Volken » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:10 pm

+1 on all of those suggestions. Here's a gif that i think captures the look & feel of what the track should have. Maybe with less spaceships and more futuristic heavy industry buildings and equipment.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:56 pm

+1 Amen to that gif Volk :)

In fact, I just replayed the Carkour Job site.
Everything is there! Let's just pretend aside from the scaffold, we're cruising on those roof tops of infinitely tall skyscrapers .

Like Job site, we could shatter some glass/destroy pillars/buildings by going through them:

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:16 pm

First off, great work on the Skytrack update! The respawning fixes make the track completely functional, which I think is a feat, considering how different this track is compared to the others, and how much difficulty other games have in getting the AI to drive on floating platforms. Kudos.

I have a few thoughts on the general layout of the track, and a couple of specific suggestions. To start, it would be nice if the track were a longer, though it's okay as is. Second, I think it needs a lot more alternate routes, both minor and large alternatives. (I have a couple suggestions below.) Third, I feel like the track isn't very well "connected"; or in other words, I think the track is too neatly divided into sections. (There's the wall ride section, and then the bouncy platform section, and then the swooping curves section, etc. And these sections don't seem to visually or logically relate from one to the next.) I assume this will get much better once more visual elements and track decorations are added in, but I think it also has a little to do with the track layout itself. For example, the swooping turns (towards the end of the first half of the track) are great, but they are completely unlike anything else on the track. So with nothing else like them, they feel a little out of place. Just my humble opinion on all of that.

Lastly, before I get to my specific suggestions, I assume that the track will get better as it is refined and visual elements added, but it certainly needs some polishing. Also, bouncing can be a problem, particularly when getting onto the wall right at the beginning of the track, and also on the approach towards the finish line--though I suppose that is more like a physics problem.

As for my specific suggestions, I have 3:

1) 1st alternate route. Before the jump onto the bouncy platform, a route could drop away and go under the platform. There could be some obstacles down there relating to the structure of the platform. At last, the lower level will naturally rejoin the main route when it gets to the curves section.
20161226164414_1.jpg
20161226164414_1.jpg (401.59 KiB) Viewed 8105 times

Here's another angle:
20161226164427_1.jpg
20161226164427_1.jpg (301.03 KiB) Viewed 8105 times

The underside of the platform could look something like this:
73367882.jpg
73367882.jpg (479.1 KiB) Viewed 8105 times

2) At the 3-way split, the left route, instead rejoining the others on the platform following, could continue to the upside-down track piece. If that makes sense.
20161226164518_1.jpg
20161226164518_1.jpg (259.54 KiB) Viewed 8105 times

20161226164534_1.jpg
20161226164534_1.jpg (182.07 KiB) Viewed 8105 times

20161226164527_1.jpg
20161226164527_1.jpg (203.15 KiB) Viewed 8105 times

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:16 pm

3) After the half loop, it can often happen that the car does not have enough speed to stick to the ceiling. I suggest adding a lower platform to catch the car if they fall off, putting them on an alternate route. This route could be slower than the main route to "punish" the player for falling off.
20161226164722_1.jpg
20161226164722_1.jpg (253.21 KiB) Viewed 8105 times

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:36 am

All good suggestions King, though I will say that the theme of these skytracks is that the GRIP league came in and dropped a bunch of modular track pieces in a remote area, to create a specific racetrack for their use. So the fact that there are all these unrelated sections kind of makes sense. I wanted to keep the gameplay interesting and different for each part.

Visually, I haven't connected anything to the environment yet (with framework/girders and other structures) as the flow needs to be final first.

I'll make some changes based on feedback overall and you guys can reassess next patch ;)
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:52 am

Chris_CE wrote:the theme of these skytracks is that the GRIP league came in and dropped a bunch of modular track pieces in a remote area, to create a specific racetrack for their use.

Reading this, we're all at the same page but... the "remote area" part... on Orbital Prime? :( I mean, why not but we already have plenty of abandoned places/deserts/jungle/natural scenery on other planets.

Please driving on the sides of skyscrapers, driving on the sides of skyscrapers, driving on the sides of skyscrapers, driving on the sides of skyscrapers, driving on the sides of skyscrapers, driving on the sides of skyscrapers, driving on the sides of skyscrapers, driving on the sides of skyscrapers, driving on the sides of skyscrapers, driving on the sides of skyscrapers, driving on the sides of skyscrapers, driving on the sides of skyscrapers...

Chris_CE wrote:I'll make some changes based on feedback overall and you guys can reassess next patch ;)

Holding my breath till then :mrgreen:
Last edited by Queadah on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:09 pm

I'll look forward to seeing what you do with it, Chris.

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:08 pm

Oh yes, one more thing I remembered. At the 3-way split I commented on earlier, the path to the right is really easy to fall off of because of how it corkscrews. I don't know if this was by design.

kingbeandip

Postby kingbeandip » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:34 pm

Is there a planned reverse version of this track?

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:12 am

Queadah wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:the theme of these skytracks is that the GRIP league came in and dropped a bunch of modular track pieces in a remote area, to create a specific racetrack for their use.

Reading this, we're all at the same page but... the "remote area" part... on Orbital Prime? :( I mean, why not but we already have plenty of abandoned places/deserts/jungle/natural scenery on other planets.

I think he has a point there. I think the best solution would be a half remote area. So a bit like the race in the closed of area at the beginning of Akira.

So mostly depopulated yes but not empty. Maybe its a disposal site for the worst waste of the city. Or maybe there was an accident (or war) of some sorts and parts of the old city are depopulated now. This would be also a possible explanation approach for the jumps and changes in the road design. Some parts are blocked by empy buildings or whatever and some road elements are older.

Im eager to see the final design of this track but i can wait. ;)

kingbeandip wrote:Is there a planned reverse version of this track?

As i understand it all race tracks are planned also for reverse. I guess they will start doing that when the design for the track is a bit more final.

twisted

Postby twisted » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:30 am

Good work so far on the layout, it's really a fun track.

Driving on the side of skyscrapers would looks cool but I understand Chris vision of having modular track pieces. Maybe the idea of driving over a Blade Runner-esque city at night with heavy rain could be saved for another map. But one sure thing is that diversity is needed a little for this track to make it looks less repetitive. The most cost effective solution I can think off could be to add more patterns to the ceiling of the modular tracks and add a cool looking sandstorm effect.

Other suggestions could be adding giant shipwrecks surrounding the modular tracks or going over it. I have another idea of a kind of city-esque rounded stadium going over the startline but it's hard to picture it without any concept. Give me sometime and maybe I will sketch up something. :P

Edit: Btw, speaking about track going into shipwrecks, I was randomly searching for pictures on the web and ended up on this esport project... checkout the concepts, they looks similar to Redout:

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:52 pm

twisted wrote:Driving on the side of skyscrapers would looks cool but I understand Chris vision of having modular track pieces. Maybe the idea of driving over a Blade Runner-esque city at night with heavy rain could be saved for another map.

I'm praying super duper hard we get to taste that city in THAT map. I need this in my life X)

Other than that, what about the fans (that make part of the track fly) being destructible/targetable?

You'd have a different track layout once all the fans of this track part are destroyed (cue massive explosion blast with disc radius ^^)

FrostyPL

Postby FrostyPL » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:55 pm

^ Or maybe because half of the track will hit the ground :P

Return to “Tracks”