Skytrack - suggestions

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
spotter-acus

Re: Skytrack - suggestions

Postby spotter-acus » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:47 pm

Hey guys,
Just a quick bit of feedback on the track: firstly, landing the final jump on the track sometimes causes cars to spring-bounce right off the track, when it should have been a smooth landing.
Secondly, the reset point just before the first transfer is angled too close to the side-barrier to the left of the track, generally causing cars to repeatedly flip off-track before they even get to the ramps.
Finally, it might be a good idea to deactivate access to the EMP weapon, just for this track. It tends to mean that half of the track simply isn't viable track, as no-one caught in the blast has the speed to grip or the ability to brake before getting to a point at which they will inevitably fall off (especially if re-spawned up-side-down.)

P.S. the physics model doesn't quite seem sure about the rate of incline on the final inversion, giving the feeling that the cars can't cope with the angle at such speed, grinding the underside of the car against the track with quite some force...

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:25 pm

oh guys, I will introduce you to NaissanceE, a little game that has practically no textures except textures with lit windows, is build on Unreal engine, and could help with the idea of how Orbital could look:

https://www.google.pl/search?q=naissanc ... rtvJBrM%3A
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:30 pm

!!! How did I not think of that before.
+ infinity

Good call! I liked that game's atmosphere! 0Blueaura, basically, you posted a blueprint of what I think Orbital Prime should look like.
With lighting/textures/moving stuff, you'd breath life in it awesomely.

edit: just ripoff the hell out of those 3d shapes alright. Retroengineer the sh*t out of... err I mean, ask for the devs' permission :P
This one with the pillars:
is clearly the underbelly of Orbital Prime

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Queadah wrote:Reading this, we're all at the same page but... the "remote area" part... on Orbital Prime? :( I mean, why not but we already have plenty of abandoned places/deserts/jungle/natural scenery on other planets.

Please driving on the sides of skyscrapers

short answer is that we don't have any Orbital Prime assets yet, so I decided to make a skytrack immediately using our generic grip league assets in this setting. To be frank, I think sky tracks and city tracks should be very separate, as the city stuff will be just as complex, but using highways, swelling slums, construction sites and skyscraper wall-rides (yes). At least this is the vision

kingbeandip wrote:Oh yes, one more thing I remembered. At the 3-way split I commented on earlier, the path to the right is really easy to fall off of because of how it corkscrews. I don't know if this was by design.

Improved this for next patch

kingbeandip wrote:Is there a planned reverse version of this track?

Django wrote:As i understand it all race tracks are planned also for reverse. I guess they will start doing that when the design for the track is a bit more final.

Not all tracks will have a reverse version, and this will be one of them. Would rather perfect gameplay a single direction with these sky tracks

spotter-acus wrote:Hey guys,
Just a quick bit of feedback on the track: firstly, landing the final jump on the track sometimes causes cars to spring-bounce right off the track, when it should have been a smooth landing.
Secondly, the reset point just before the first transfer is angled too close to the side-barrier to the left of the track, generally causing cars to repeatedly flip off-track before they even get to the ramps.
Finally, it might be a good idea to deactivate access to the EMP weapon, just for this track. It tends to mean that half of the track simply isn't viable track, as no-one caught in the blast has the speed to grip or the ability to brake before getting to a point at which they will inevitably fall off (especially if re-spawned up-side-down.)

P.S. the physics model doesn't quite seem sure about the rate of incline on the final inversion, giving the feeling that the cars can't cope with the angle at such speed, grinding the underside of the car against the track with quite some force...

The car grinding into the ground and catching on geometry, as well as vehicles bouncing when they shouldn't is an issue we've been dealing with from the beginning. These things happen on every track, but especially on Skytrack because of it's twisting roads and super flat landing areas (which cause the bouncing). We're still working on these things (especially bouncing), instead of designing tracks around the issue, as that will limit creativity.

That reset point I've already fixed

Deactivating EMP will be available once we add the ability to enable/disable the list of pickups when setting up an event. But I'll ask Rob (coding) about getting rid of EMP for skytrack and see what he thinks
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:02 pm

0Blueaura wrote:oh guys, I will introduce you to NaissanceE, a little game that has practically no textures except textures with lit windows, is build on Unreal engine, and could help with the idea of how Orbital could look:
https://www.google.pl/search?q=naissanc ... rtvJBrM%3A

Some cool stuff there indeed, but I think Joe can give us something more interesting
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:11 am

Chris_CE wrote:Some cool stuff there indeed, but I think Joe can give us something more interesting

I'm ditching here my last attempt at convincing anyone the Skytrack **might** be going the wrong way (pun intended ^^).
STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'll be exaggerating purposefully. Skrubs subject to seizures keep away :twisted:
Spoiler: show
Honest game trailer be like:
  • Carkour: ride on a rocky planet with artificial ramps
  • Norvos: ride on a rocky planet with artificial ramps
  • Jahtra: ride on a rocky planet with artificial ramps
  • Liddo 5: ride on a rocky planet with artificial ramps
  • Orbital Prime: get more rocks thrown your way

Skytrack is definitely "above the ground" but not in the sky! It's too close in aspect to Carkour tracks :(
Current view on Skytrack (cue cricket sound)

True MFing Skytrack (cue in car horn sounds and police alarm sounds)

CE can take its time, put 2d textures below to simulate a city and bare grey blocks for buildings, but please, for the love of what is holy and unholy, leave the rocks alone X)

Q out ;)

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Maybe just erase sky track as THE orbital prime for now and remake it to be a map in cosmos. around some meteors, while fixing the teleport for the cars and maybe then give it the orbital prime assets
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

XT3

Postby XT3 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:30 am

What is the weather suppose to be like on this planet. I guess rainy would be cool. Like thunderstorms perhaps. Mostly throwing ideas out there. But the biggesthing thing i'd like to see is that the tracks are farther off the ground and only connecting to two mountain peaks.

Mobiusman1

Postby Mobiusman1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:05 am

I agree with Chris' ideas of these Sky tracks and our City tracks being two separate concepts. Having the sky tracks going through remote, high mountain tops barely being suspended by possibly shoddy constructed suspension wires for holding up the tracks while passing through ominous and stormy thunderclouds certainly sounds different from something you'd find suspended high in a city, even if that city is futuristic. Although having that city in the far distance could be a good idea...

That being said, it's probably important to note (although you've probably noticed it already yourself chris :P) that the community wants some kind of city track suspended toward the skyscrapers.

I can see the ideas of a city track being visually breath-taking, but i thoroughly approve of your decision to create balanced, fun, and interesting track design over the community's cries of "I WANT TO DRIVE ON THE SIDE OF A ***DAMN SKYSCRAPER!!!!1!" I think i speak for everyone when i say all the visuals in the world on one map doesn't amount to anything if the track itself is garbage.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Mobiusman1 wrote:"I WANT TO DRIVE ON THE SIDE OF A ***DAMN SKYSCRAPER!!!!1!"

This happens twice in Jeff's new Orbital Prime track
Game Director
GRIP

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:54 am

Chris_CE wrote:
Mobiusman1 wrote:"I WANT TO DRIVE ON THE SIDE OF A ***DAMN SKYSCRAPER!!!!1!"

This happens twice in Jeff's new Orbital Prime track

Woo hoo :D

Hopefully like this :lol:

Mobiusman1

Postby Mobiusman1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:53 pm

Twice!? Nice!

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Is there a need for the first horizontal platform's downside fence? You have a whole safety platform under it, to fall on.
After the half loop, a catwalk styled track texture (like the one on the starting gate of Haze) would be nice. You could see where others are vica-versa. The curved track areas which are the most ridden with clipping should be aided with a barrier till this problem is yet to be solved.

Return to “Tracks”