How to make tracks more suited for speeders

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

How to make tracks more suited for speeders

Postby TheOnLY » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:00 am

As most people probably noticed the speeder class can not really compete on most current tracks, mostly due to their lack of top speed and the tracks where pretty much every useful route can be taken even by the tank class with full throttle.
I do not think that an adjustment of the stats is needed to make the speeders competitive, slight modifications to the track would probably be enough in most cases and it would keep the identity of the class as tanks are more about about keeping momentum while speeders can get back to speed very fast.

What would that modifications be?
It would almost only involve moving or adding speed pads in areas that can only be reached by speeders at full speed, especially the insides of corner entries or exits, as well the addition of lines with more speed pads that only speeders can take. Doing these modifications would probably be pretty light on resources as no rework or just very slight adjustments of the tracks would be needed.

In the following i will explain and illustrate the specific changes i had in mind. The arrows are not too accurate as the placing of speedpads would need proper testing and adjustments according to its results.

FIC Outpost
Spoiler: show
A speed pad here could only be taken by speeders reliably at race pace as it requires turning in close to the ramp and immediately turning right to not crash into the buildings, other classes would not be able to do that.

Requires a low turning radius to reach without driving into the barrier afterwards.

Right in the inside of the corners exit, very hard to reach for cars with a higher turn radius since there is a bump on the inside of that corner.

If cars with a higher turn radius were to take that boost pad they would crash into the outside of the corner or have to brake hard.

Allows only cars that exit the corner on the inside to use this pad.

If other classes were to take that route they are likely to crash into the scarp to the right. Terrain would need some adjustments here as it currently launches cars into the air

Cars that can not turn in fast enough would crash into rocks.

The resulting racing line for that area for speeders would look like this (red line).

Another thing i would like to see is the addition of stuff into the hangar, blocking parts of it, creating a choke point. There is currently no reason for it to be there since nothing is in it.

Resulting race line would be similar to this:

Transport
Move these two speed pads back slightly (half the length of a pad at max?), it is already possible to hit both of them and do the the maneuver you will see in 2 images, but it is hard and wouldn't be worth the risk in a race, imo.

Additionally add boost pads here to make the folowing maneuver worth it over just taking the jump ramp down.

This maneuver can be done with every car, but less agile cars can not use booth speed pads, but only one, thus it would be just equally fast as taking the ramp for them (with increased risk on crashing as they can not navigate this area as good), while the speeders could take both top ones and the one suggested above, making it faster for them.

Move the existing speedpad closer to the containers, higher agility results in less risk of crashing into them for speeders in comparison with other cars when using that pad.
Add an additional one where the 2nd arrow is, medium and tank class cars do not have enough grip to reach it with full throttle.

Speeders can take this route without much slowdown. Adding a speed pad here would give them another boost in speed only they can use with full throttle.

I am not sure about these two as they would only be a bit less risky for speeders, but could be used by all cars.

Yuri
This recess can be entered and left only by speeders without a major loss of speed, thus placing a speed pad there would give them a little speed boost for the tunnel. Maybe the sign would have to be pushed back a little bit as cars would need a little bit more room when there was an actual speed pad there.

Currently this route can be used by all classes to its maximum effect. If there were more boost pads the speeders could use their better grip to use the boost pads to their full potential while other cars would have to brake or have a much higher risk to crash.

Depending on the chosen path one of those speed pads could be used by all classes, but speeders could use both due to their superior cornering capabilities.

Alharta
No need to change anything, After testing i think this is balanced, speeders may even have the edge over tanks.

Sky track
If the speeder uses the shortcut on the concave track piece times are balanced too, however it involves a much higher risk than using the normal route.

These are the only places i can imagine where a speeder would benefit more from speed pads than others, because they cant use all of them due to their low grip

Tathendal

Re: How to make tracks more suited for speeders

Postby Tathendal » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:12 pm

TheOnLY wrote: ... slight modifications to the track would probably be enough ... It would almost only involve moving or adding speed pads in areas that can only be reached by speeders at full speed ...

Good idea, +1

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:39 am

Thinking in terms of racing line is a good idea.
Some suggestions are worth checking for the time devs are sure track terrain is final, sure ;)

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Very, very nice post, TheOnLY.
I agree with you. The speeder classes have a noticeable disadvantage on these hold forward to win tracks.
Adding speedpads on the various spots you've pointed out can even the playing field somewhat, so +1

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Right now there's a 46 kmph top speed difference between the Cyclone and the Jugg. To me, that's too much. But I agree with your speedpad additions idea, though I think the stats for cars needs a bit of work too as far as speed and grip go. I think now that the physics are behaving more, we could give the tanks less grip (as well as the mid class, slightly)

FIC
1st speedpad: you slow down a lot for this one, I don't really see the benefit
2nd: I don't think anyone will hit this one. Kind of a fluke you made it. It's hard enough to hit the pickup in front of it. I'd say just throw a speedpad behind that pickup a couple car lengths
3rd: looks good
4th: not sure this will be beneficial as the speed boost will send you towards the bump, or if you steer to the right before taking the turn left it will make you need to slow down anyway
5th: looks good
6th: might be tough to take that left with so much speed, but I'll have a look
7th: looks good

The hangar is empty because we haven't had time to invest into it yet. There's plans for a ton of obstacles in there. Also plans to have better speedpad placement. Let's revisit that later in time

Trans
1: Looks great, nice one
2: I'll move that one to the left but I can't see doing the spiral being any faster, but can test it. Tanks are going to blow by there going straight and beat a speedster every time. The next area is prime for allowing speedsters to catch up though
3: This is good, as well as maybe putting pads up on the next wall to the right or left, where tanks won't be able to grab them (while getting rid of the 3 pads in the center at the mouth of the tunnel)
4: I can try these, but I think the one between won't work

Yuri
1: I think we could make this work. But the pad will need to be to the left more
2: sounds good
3: looks good
Could have a pad on the right route of the split with the concrete jump as well (area right after U tunnel). Would be on the right side of that right route where there's no way tanks could get it (all tanks usually take the left route)

Sky
All pads look good, and that crazy shortcut will work, I just need to move the second checkpoint so it's not in that missed loop

Thanks for putting this together Only
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Tracks”