Track Variety

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Mobiusman1

Track Variety

Postby Mobiusman1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 pm

In Burnout 3 on the PS2 there were a few tracks that had a starting point and an ending point within the race, but those two points never connected to each other; it was just a one shot from start to finish. I found that to be an interesting concept. Any chance that sort of thing could be implemented?

You wouldn't have to worry so much about if the track flowed well AND still connected. You might have more freedom that way and develop some pretty crazy designs going for tracks, like big jumps, spirals, maybe some criss-cross sections too!

For the one-shot races reference;

With the more creativity flexibility, you could throw in some difficult racing designs like you'd see from a Hot Wheels track set like this one;

There's all sorts of balancing and functional game physics that go into tracks like this i'm sure, but the more twists, turns, and curve-balls you throw at us during the race the more rewarding it is if we win!

Tathendal

Re: Track Variety

Postby Tathendal » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:19 am

+1 !

Would be awesome for the chase mode, if that ever will be implemented!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Would be cool to have point to point tracks, but they require more resources, as every section is unique. Instead of doing minute long laps around a circuit, we'd have to make a 2 or 3 minute long track from A to B. Maybe sometime in the future we can if we're able
Game Director
GRIP

Mobiusman1

Postby Mobiusman1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:08 am

Interesting, i had no idea the resources cost more for a point-to-point track! I certainly hope you'll have the availability to either design or test out a track like this, but if it would take too much time or effort out of something that needs more attention or something you'd rather do, by all means do so. This suggestion was more of just an added design idea I happened to think of one night.

As a side note, the (at the time of writing this) new Acrophobia map is daunting, challenging, calculating, and merciless....AND I LOVE IT!!!!!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed May 03, 2017 10:14 am

:)
Game Director
GRIP

Splotchie

Postby Splotchie » Wed May 03, 2017 11:08 am

Sounds like you're looking for a game called Trackmania.
Just saying.

I get the sense that the matches in this game kinda need to be longer than in an average racer for the whole combat part of the racing to play out properly, I think. And I imagine too many jumps and loopings on a track could play havoc with the rocket and machine-gun type weapons -- make them useless or possibly dangerous to the user. So having too many of those means the track needs to be made even longer so that there are long enough "blank" spots to make those things useful.
An odd choice for ship's cat...
Check out my original music at https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com, or anything else under Vertigo Fox!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon May 22, 2017 4:58 pm

Splotchie wrote:And I imagine too many jumps and loopings on a track could play havoc with the rocket and machine-gun type weapons -- make them useless or possibly dangerous to the user. So having too many of those means the track needs to be made even longer so that there are long enough "blank" spots to make those things useful.

This is a bit of an issue on Acrophobia, where there's so much insane driving that weapons use is either too difficult or too OP
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Tracks”