Transport/Transport Reverse Feedback

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.
Only Mostly Here

Transport/Transport Reverse Feedback

Postby Only Mostly Here » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Transport is quickly becoming one of my favourite tracks in the game (with one caveat, the physics issues on the jump at the end), with its initially simple seeming layout having a lot of opportunity for optimisation. A low amount of instadeath obstacles after they were cleared out means that races flow quite well and stay reasonably close despite it being a high-speed track. However, it has a few spots that I think need tweaking to be less punishing/inconsistent.

Transport reverse on the other hand is a complete arse. All of the flow that Transport has is ruined by the re-introduction of the old obstacles, it has fewer 'stretch goals' to take and its terrain, particularly in the section before the final pipe, can cause serious problems.

Murderous Signage and friends (Objects that get in the way)

One of the most annoying things on Transport is this set of signs:
Spoiler: show

which will punish a slight error taking the difficult pads slightly before this part with instant death. There's a bunch of space behind them, if you ignore the extra pillars of the bridge, so it'd be really nice if they could get moved back a bit or removed. They're one of those signs that does more harm than good:

This rock is really nasty. If you end up wide on that corner, it's an instant dead stop for you. Perhaps the rock could be removed/pulled back, and the start of the tunnel moved outwards to meet up with the blue barrier, or vice versa? Alternatively, if the rock is hiding a lack of geometry, perhaps make it a smooth rock wall that's drivable.

This tube structure and the sign helpfully telling you there's a giant object in the way really punish slight misalignments too much. If the tube and sign could be moved inwards such that it doesn't block the road quite as much, the (already super inconsistent) final jump would have one less way to murder you.

WHYYYYY. Seriously, ramps in the middle of the road like this cause nothing but trouble. They restrict the usable track space far more than their size suggests.

This bridge post is another dead stop obstacle that's really easy to hit by accident due to how unassuming it is. Not really sure what could be done without removing or replacing it, assuming it's not a part of the bridge asset itself. The problem with this thing is twofold: firstly, it's safe to drive on the glass portion of the bridge, up until you reach this post. Due to the slight bump when transitioning, it's easy to get caught out and have the car not move across properly. The other scenario is when it's busy. Sometimes you just don't have space and end up in the pole. This is made worse by the aforementioned ramp that restricts usable space.

The removal of these boxes made Transport a much more enjoyable track. The removal of these boxes would make Transport Reverse a much more enjoyable track. They're just too punishing an obstacle to have on a fairly bumpy offroad section that's also a prime spot to fire off weapons.

This rock and the moulded terrain around it acts as a ramp if you so much as go near it. This corner is pretty sketchy due to the bumpiness of this section already, and getting launched skywards adds insult to injury. If possible, it'd be great if this rock could be reshaped such that it doesn't send the car skywards.

The start/finish gate actually becomes a problem on quite a few tracks, but it's notably bad on Transport Reverse, where not only does the uphill slope make it easy for weapons to slam you into the gate, but the barriers have a nasty habit of gathering up cars that hit them and causing them to hit the gate.

Weird Terrain, odd elements

This section of track is deceptively bumpy, which makes lining up for the final jump an absolute nightmare. It makes things very inconsistent and can REALLY unsettle some cars. Really needs to be as smooth and flat as possible, because not being able to line up the jump reliably is very frustrating.

There are a few problems here, but the biggest one is that 'seam' between the central road and the glass edges of the bridge. This thing will bounce cars a little, unsettling them. And with a number of elements in the vicinity which encourage swerving across the whole bridge (the pad on the right, the pads inside the tunnel), getting unsettled usually means you get screwed over. If players are expected to be trying for these pads (which I think are really cool - they encourage alternate lines), then this area needs to be much more consistent in how the cars can handle it. The other problem (which may or may not be a problem depending on how you look at it) is the 'lip' of the tunnel. The bridge doesn't merge with the tunnel entrance very well at all (only the very centre of the road is safe), and it's easy to clip the entrance, which will cause nasty bounces at best.

Again, very easy to hit the lip of the tunnel here thanks to approaching from a pretty rough offroad section where combat often occurs.

I really like this path, it's another case of using all the potential of the track and providing a more challenging, but rewarding route without going overboard. I do think it could be made just a tiny bit less punishing by pulling that pointy rock in a little. It tends to catch the car while airborne if you're slightly off, causing very nasty crashes. Honestly this doesn't need much changing if at all.

The landing from the vertical climb in Transport Reverse is and always has been VERY inconsistent, perhaps due to how rough the terrain is at the top there. It can potentially spin cars around or flip them over. As a required part of the track, this isn't really very fun to have to deal with. Also there seems to be a gap in the road texture. Only spotted that after looking after this screenshot. As I don't really know what the cause is for the awful landings here, I can't really offer a suggestion. All I know is that it really sucks to drive.

I think Transport makes really good use of what's there to provide interesting alternatives over the 'basic' route. Transport reverse on the other hand only has the set of pads in the narrow gap after the bridge, which is really sketchy to hit due to the tendency of cars to leave the ground as they leave the bridge. I'm not sure what would work for Transport reverse, but I think it needs something along the lines of what Transport has - some more out of the way, hard to hit pads that reward extra effort (and more importantly, that reward speedsters' extra agility over tanks).

Return to “Tracks”