Poll: What kind of track elements would you most like to see?

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.

What kind of track elements excite you the most?

Ceiling Driving
11%
Wall Driving
11%
Big jumps
9%
Loops
6%
Twisting Track
8%
Hairpin Turns
3%
Tight Tunnels
4%
Track Obstacles (dodging things)
5%
Destructible objects (pillars, buildings, bridges, etc)
12%
Trick jumps (ex. spin off a ramp into a slot the size of your car)
3%
Hidden routes (ex. shoot with a missile to discover)
9%
Triggered Events (ex. spaceship crashes onto the track, bridge collapses)
10%
Random Enviornmental Factors (ex. Tornados, meteors, ice storm, flying alien sheep)
9%

Total votes: 1163

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Poll: What kind of track elements would you most like to see?

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:28 pm

Here's a poll of a bunch of potential features that tracks can have.

Right now the current track has about 8 of them, so it's not like they aren't already being implemented.

Discuss the poll options, or suggest new ones below.
Game Director
GRIP

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Re: Poll: What kind of track elements would you most like to see?

Postby tjgcrush » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:40 pm

i like them all!
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

SuperSomariDX

Postby SuperSomariDX » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:45 pm

I'd say branch up some track variations into groups:

For example:
A more city like map could be branched into it's own track group. Let's call it.. "Macrotronic City"

Let's also say we made a surreal looking map with extremely odd looking scenery and tons of tricky cornering and tunnel sections. We'll call this map.. "Fusiona Cyraxain"

Macrotronic City would fit into a group like:

|Group 1|
Macrotronic City
???
???
???
???

|Group 2|
Fusiona Cyraxain
???
???
???

and so forth.

Maybe a high tech city looking map with a giant loop and corkscrew running through the middle of the loop. or maybe something a bit wacky and intense. You know, a little bit of variety for everybody.
RollCaged and ReStaged.

One insane ride that will force you to Grip onto your seat.

Whiskey
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Whiskey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:07 pm

Wow +1 to environmental hazards like sand storms or the old lightning strikes! :o

EDIT: Also Alien UFO Sheep.... *Intrigued*

EDIT: The possibility of racing through a war zone would be really cool too*, not only are you avoiding fire from the other racers, but also the cross fire of two waring factions or automatic defences and mines. (*See the movie Redline)
Last edited by Whiskey on Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dups

Postby Dups » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:27 pm

Most of the things in the poll are pretty obvious. Ceiling/wall driving? I mean, that was like the biggest thing that Rollcage, which you get inspiration from introduced, right? It would be a horrendous idea to get rid of it. Not a huge fan of hairpin turns and tight tunnels though.

I wanted to talk about are triggered events and randomness.
First of all, hell yeah, Split/Second was fun AF, but got boring rather quickly after finding every trigger. Of course, it doesn't mean that it's worse than having no triggers at all, but an option to turn them off in game/track settings would be great. Driving on an unaltered would be useful in a competitive scenario or when trying to get the best time.
The second thing are random factors. Again, when it comes to competitive setting or game modes such as Time Attack, randomness is the worst thing that could happen, it should be all about skill there, not luck, although randomness is super fun when it comes to a casual game and ramprage. Providing an ON/OFF setting for literally everything is a really good thing IMHO.

Edit: Obstacle are a great idea, only if stationary or appear in a certain place, like meteors in Rollcage 1 for example.
/╲/\( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\

Dups: who is codemonkey
Dups: dont know the guy
potterman28wxcv: yeah i don't know if i can trust him
potterman28wxcv: he says he is an old ATD dev
potterman28wxcv: like wtf is ATD ?
Dups: attention to dicks?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:22 pm

I like everything but Trick Jumps : I would not want to see a Trackmaniesque jump in racing mode. Though, if something similar to Rollcage Stage 2's scramble mode was to be implemented, why not ?
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:34 pm

@Somari: I do like the idea of different locations having their own theme, track design wise. Would make each world even more distinct.

@Whiskey: I've got a bunch of ideas for environmental factors spilling onto the track, but that one's pretty interesting. Maybe even an orbital battle raging on in the sky.

@Dups: Well obviously there will be wall and ceiling driving, but the poll is asking what excites you the most. We could tone down the amount of t
track sections that revolve around that and focus on some other things.
But still, maybe those options in the poll are redundant.

I agree about the ON/OFF toggle. Need a cleaner race in competition.
As for triggered events getting stale, that's why I added the random events, since they'd be well.. random.
They wouldn't be random enough that you can't skillfully dodge what's coming though. As in you'd never have the equivalent of a wall pop up and block your path right in front of you.

@potty: I've only got a few trick jump ideas flowing, but the ones that I did think about wouldn't be too extravagant, but more keeping with the flow of the race as you do them.
Game Director
GRIP

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:25 pm

The thing i liked most bout RC1 is that races didnt take place on actual race tracks, it felt more like the racers chose some area that seem fit to race on. same thing that POD did back in the day and it was brilliant.

thing is when you step away from a pure racing enviroment tracks can be designed in a more interessting way in terms of artstyle and feeling.
getting back to POD: you raced in Malls, on military areas, through cities and forests and through giant industy complexes, making every track unique and very memorable.

anothing thing in putting a track into some location thats not "made" for racing gives some nice opportunities for making core racing mechanics more awesome.

best example is the footage from the canceled Blur 2 game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oXT-H6ueLg

instead of just driving through a tunnel the race goes through a Mall, instead of just driving on a wall the tracks lead along a huge glass front wich (imo) and that extra "aw yeah" effect to a race.
now adding this to a sci-fi racer gives so much potential with alien planets, space colonies and so and so.

Dups

Postby Dups » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:07 pm

@Chris
Right now there's a Rollcage tournament going on, the general randomness when it comes to collisions or even weapon pick ups is really frustrating. ON/OFF 4 EVERYTHING!
/╲/\( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\

Dups: who is codemonkey
Dups: dont know the guy
potterman28wxcv: yeah i don't know if i can trust him
potterman28wxcv: he says he is an old ATD dev
potterman28wxcv: like wtf is ATD ?
Dups: attention to dicks?

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:48 pm

One thing I'd like to point out is that RC2 had too much tunnels and most of them were very big.
Because of this there's little risk in messing up in that game, making it too easy and thus there's none of that exciting fear of trying your damn hardest to stay in first place. It also makes for quite bland vistas.
Tunnels in RC1 were strategically placed, they didn't cover entire tracks and they were smaller too, acting more like claustrophobic chokepoints forcing everyone to drive right next to each other.

But I'm probably wasting everyone's time, 'cause judging by the fact that Chris specifically put tight tunnels in the poll, I think he and I think the same regarding tunnels :p

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:49 pm

^+1
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:18 am

@Yrch: This track approach is somewhat like the one I've taken, though there are sections which are obviously meant for racing.
But the location itself is a powerplant/refinery. You guys will see soon enough. I like a lot of elements of the track, but also some stand out that I don't like.
It's tough. It's a learning process

@Dubs: Yeah dude, I was watching you swear up a storm the whole time, ha

@Broscar: You'll like the track I've designed then. Some really big vistas.
Game Director
GRIP

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Amazing! I've been reading through and i was "omg that's exactly what i wanted too!". So great job and i agree with the suggestions being given up to here.

Also i wanted to remind you about that part in Aftershocks where you have to drop in a hole, and you need to be aiming carefully or you loose time bouncing around the walls on your way to the bottom. I believe these kind of obstacles can be added too. Stuff that doesn't normally pertain to a race track but which still adds a nice level of gameplay. Especially when there will be a frikkin huge pile of cars smashing into each other in the pit right after the start and everyone in the chatroom will scream like crazy "omg what the hell is going on get out of my way no hey wait that wheel is mine hey get your booster out of my windshield no not you that other guy" kind of stuff :D:D

Also, let's not forget about the easiest way of literally doubling the number of tracks with probably less than 10 lines of code! Mirror mode! And why not, backward racing mode if the track allows for it?
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:44 am

Unreal.2K7 wrote:And why not, backward racing mode if the track allows for it?

This ^ needs to happen :ugeek:
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Moo

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:03 am

Unreal.2K7 wrote:Also, let's not forget about the easiest way of literally doubling the number of tracks with probably less than 10 lines of code! Mirror mode! And why not, backward racing mode if the track allows for it?

Tru dat. Reverse mode is a must.
sus

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:06 am

Unreal.2K7 wrote:Also, let's not forget about the easiest way of literally doubling the number of tracks with probably less than 10 lines of code! Mirror mode! And why not, backward racing mode if the track allows for it?

Reverse mode, damn yeah
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:22 pm

Whiskey wrote:Wow +1 to environmental hazards like sand storms or the old lightning strikes!

The only reason i was hesitant and didn't vote for this, was because i wasn't sure if it meant it would impact the race, or just be background stuff.

If it is just background stuff, consider my vote on this too!

The classic spaceships flying in the background and random meteors on those Offworld tracks were what gave the games so much immersion. This is a necessary feature!

Adding weather elements with modern technology, such as sandstorms and blizzards, (but which won't impact the cars speed or grip, but just background immersion) would be amazing for the environmental feel for the game.

EDIT: Actually, i change my mind. Some elements which can, but not too commonly, impact the race would be cool. I mean, meteors and lightning impacted cars in Rollcage right? So i guess... just not too overkill. The immersion can be amazing, just don't make environmental factors impact the race too much.

I seriously can't help myself daydreaming about a modern version of those underwater tunnels. With todays technology and graphics, we could have so much immersion there. Whales and everything!

Yrch wrote:The thing i liked most bout RC1 is that races didnt take place on actual race tracks, it felt more like the racers chose some area that seem fit to race on.

This! Which is why the things which excite me the most are:

A) Immersion.

B) Multiple routes, but not necessarily shortcuts!

I don't want an unfair advantage and have one really good shortcut, but rather parts of the track which diverge, such as a Desert which has a "Butte" blocking the middle of the track and you have to turn left or right.

Or... Some route could have jumps onto a higher area of land, another not. Some route could go through a tunnel, and another not. But both are equally good.

That is what makes a track interesting, as it is not a track by a rigid definition, but rather an environmental place which the players are racing in.

Just make sure one route isn't necessarily too advantageous over another, otherwise everyone would just go one way in competitive racing. I prefer the variation of equally good diversions. Then you can tactically go one way or another based on how "busy" one route is in front of you.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:14 pm

Tazeram wrote:I seriously can't help myself daydreaming about a modern version of those underwater tunnels. With todays technology and graphics, we could have so much immersion there. Whales and everything!

I want my sponge bob !

Tazeram wrote:I don't want an unfair advantage and have one really good shortcut, but rather parts of the track which diverge, such as a Desert which has a "Butte" blocking the middle of the track and you have to turn left or right.

Or... Some route could have jumps onto a higher area of land, another not. Some route could go through a tunnel, and another not. But both are equally good.

That is what makes a track interesting, as it is not a track by a rigid definition, but rather an environmental place which the players are racing in.

Just make sure one route isn't necessarily too advantageous over another, otherwise everyone would just go one way in competitive racing. I prefer the variation of equally good diversions. Then you can tactically go one way or another based on how "busy" one route is in front of you.

+1

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:35 pm

IMO some environmental hazards should impact vehicles (Rains make you lose your grip and this kind of stuff) because it will make game harder and more realistic, I dont really want to have game that won`t be realistic, Environmental factors will make this game harder. This game (Rollcage) is for hardcore players after all.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Flipside666

Postby Flipside666 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:37 pm

How about different gravity on certain parts of a track that is say on Mars indoors, then when you go to the outside the car is slightly lighter, jumps further, something like that? Not on all tracks though, sorry just a thought.

Hi everyone by the way I'm Phil the newbie.

Return to “Tracks”