Poll: What kind of track elements would you most like to see?

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.

What kind of track elements excite you the most?

Ceiling Driving
11%
Wall Driving
11%
Big jumps
9%
Loops
6%
Twisting Track
8%
Hairpin Turns
3%
Tight Tunnels
4%
Track Obstacles (dodging things)
5%
Destructible objects (pillars, buildings, bridges, etc)
12%
Trick jumps (ex. spin off a ramp into a slot the size of your car)
3%
Hidden routes (ex. shoot with a missile to discover)
9%
Triggered Events (ex. spaceship crashes onto the track, bridge collapses)
10%
Random Enviornmental Factors (ex. Tornados, meteors, ice storm, flying alien sheep)
9%

Total votes: 1170

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Poll: What kind of track elements would you most like to see?

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:55 pm

Hey! Welcome to the forums!
I actually like the idea of a difference in gravity for certain parts. Could add a nice sensation of "feeling" for the car's reaction.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:12 am

I like the idea of environmental factors affecting gameplay, but not overly so, and not too random.

As in, there's a section of the map that's prone to tornados passing through. It's predictable in that you know it's coming, but the path of the tornado is not always the same, though it's not that hard to avoid, unless someone blasts you into it. Adds another level of strategy.

But non-gameplay affecting environment happenings are great to add immersion. Just have to be careful what to add since it could easily eat into development time
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:17 am

Unreal.2K7 wrote:Also i wanted to remind you about that part in Aftershocks where you have to drop in a hole, and you need to be aiming carefully or you loose time bouncing around the walls on your way to the bottom.

I'm preeeety sure I absolutely hate that part, haha. It just seems so strange to have to come to a halt and drop. I'd say a better alternative is to have the ability to smoothly drive through it if you first drive on the ceiling beforehand to take the 90 degree turn downwards, then switch sides of the tunnel to drive 90 degrees back to horizontal track.
That way you're able to navigate it like a boss, but lesser drivers will smash and fall
Game Director
GRIP

Mystical

Postby Mystical » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:16 am

I'd like to see anything but Skid Pan 2.0

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:19 am

Chris_CE wrote:I'd say a better alternative is to have the ability to smoothly drive through it if you first drive on the ceiling beforehand to take the 90 degree turn downwards, then switch sides of the tunnel to drive 90 degrees back to horizontal track.

Sounds good!

Mystical wrote:I'd like to see anything but Skid Pan 2.0

Agreed. Along with Super Bowl they're the worst tracks, but at least Super Bowl has this gimmick that makes it sorta-interesting :')

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:18 pm

I like all the ideas, but someting that wasnt mentioned:
- Very easy to drive high speed tracks.
Most of the tracks should have their unique obstacle, but there should be at least 1 or 2 tracks, which let you go fullspeed all the time. Like in the aurora league or the skyway tracks in RCII.

- Implementing more the mechanic of beeing able to drive on both sides.
Like small ramps or hills which flip you, maybe as obstacle or as reward to get an item or small shortcut. And ramps that let you jump directly on the ceilling of a tunnel. (like in "The Helix" track from RC2) or many other ways...
Thats the thing i missed the most in RC1 and 2, there are just a few tracks that are making use of the flipping mechanic. (the only problem would be a good camera implemention)

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:40 pm

I'm hoping that the tracks will be pretty lengthy, rather than some of the super short circuits you find in Rollcage 1, therefore you could add boosts and long stretches at any point during a track in general. That way you don't have to have a track too easy.

I'm kinda hoping ALL tracks have multiple elements. E.G Tunnels here, long stretches there, diversions and obstacles here... that way you get a good sense of immersion, and have to apply multiple skills in one race.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:27 pm

I'd like to have a variety of designs in all tracks, and multiple paths for those who want to avoid certain designs, but having a couple tracks that allow for some serious maintained speed is also pretty cool.

And yes, I'm into exploring the flipping mechanic. It could definitely be utilized more. It is a bit difficult with the camera though.
Camera is not an easy thing to do and right now it's not perfect (evident in the trailer) since we've had so many other things to work on, but it will be refined, for sure
Game Director
GRIP

Azurex
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Azurex » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:07 am

Ceiling and wall driving are must haves, naturally!

I would be very skeptical about stunt jumps / large ramps due to how unpredictable landing was in the first and second Rollcage games. Maybe I just wasn't as good at the game as others, but I'd dread ramps knowing that there's always the possibility my vehicle could bounce off the ground upon landing and fly off in whatever direction.

If large ramps and/or jumps are implemented into GRIP, I'd hope that the physics are better than that of RC!

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:13 am

Azurex wrote:If large ramps and/or jumps are implemented into GRIP, I'd hope that the physics are better than that of RC!

Yeah, apparently the vehicles in Grip are much more weighty and less prone to bouncing around like they are toy cars, so don't worry about that. I personally like the idea of having more jumps, especially onto alternate routes like higher platforms or tunnels.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:21 pm

Me also like jumps
Game Director
GRIP

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:51 am

SLOT wrote:How about some watergliding like this in the game?

I like this idea. I recently played MX vs ATV Alive. That had water skimming and it was a lot of fun.

(edit) What happens when and if you fail to make it across? Do you respawn or have to drive slowly underwater? I would prefer if there was no respawning at all.

SLOT

Postby SLOT » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:58 pm

harrisonosirrah wrote:What happens when and if you fail to make it across? Do you respawn or have to drive slowly underwater? I would prefer if there was no respawning at all.

Well there are a couple of variants coming to mind:

1. If you lose speed you sink and respawn right after the pond.
2. Place ponds in strategic spots where player is at top speed just for the wow effect.
3. Drive under water, not too much under – 10ft or so. Just to see somebody passing by above.
4. Make ponds not deep, like just half the height of the car and slow the car if it sinks.

J.D. The Horseman

Postby J.D. The Horseman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:13 pm

Loops!!! I would love to see a mix of a Hot Wheels like track and the originality that is your game. Also loops with mid air jumps while passing the peak of the loops if there in the game at all. Like I said on Steam forums, haven't been this hype for a racing game in a long time. Many prayers on you guy's project.

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:56 pm

SLOT wrote:
harrisonosirrah wrote:What happens when and if you fail to make it across? Do you respawn or have to drive slowly underwater? I would prefer if there was no respawning at all.

Well there are a couple of variants coming to mind:

1. If you lose speed you sink and respawn right after the pond.
2. Place ponds in strategic spots where player is at top speed just for the wow effect.
3. Drive under water, not too much under – 10ft or so. Just to see somebody passing by above.
4. Make ponds not deep, like just half the height of the car and slow the car if it sinks.

Which would you prefer? I strongly prefer options 3 and 4 over the first two. 3 sounds pretty wicked to me.

SLOT

Postby SLOT » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:36 am

I like 4, because it's the easiest from level design point of view.

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:43 am

Also, speaking about world events: what if there were some parts of the track where some kind of periodical event makes a localized storm appear, massive rain on the track, and then grass starts to grow thanks to the alien spaceship overhead shining their grass-grow laser on the ground. The result is that in that part of the track you have from time to time a patch of destructible items that slows you down. That might be used to slow down the leaders and the rest of the pack will have to follow its tracks in order to not be slowed down, what do you think?

Of course it doesn't have to be grass... it the spirit of illegal racing there might be road spikes popping in, underground gas pockets creating bumps on the road, and so on..
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

SLOT

Postby SLOT » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:12 am

isn't that Triggered Events (ex. spaceship crashes onto the track, bridge collapses) ?

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:21 am

Yes, i was exploring the idea of having something completely obstructing the way so that whoever arrives at that point is forced to slow down and the group can catch up, while also adding the ability to leverage the track that has already been cleared by others.

Return to “Tracks”