Poll: What kind of track elements would you most like to see?

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.

What kind of track elements excite you the most?

Ceiling Driving
11%
Wall Driving
11%
Big jumps
9%
Loops
6%
Twisting Track
8%
Hairpin Turns
3%
Tight Tunnels
4%
Track Obstacles (dodging things)
5%
Destructible objects (pillars, buildings, bridges, etc)
12%
Trick jumps (ex. spin off a ramp into a slot the size of your car)
3%
Hidden routes (ex. shoot with a missile to discover)
9%
Triggered Events (ex. spaceship crashes onto the track, bridge collapses)
10%
Random Enviornmental Factors (ex. Tornados, meteors, ice storm, flying alien sheep)
9%

Total votes: 1170

Dragonoïde

Re: Poll: What kind of track elements would you most like to see?

Postby Dragonoïde » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:00 pm

VooDooQky wrote:Let us race thorough between 2 warring frontlines, where we see missiles and bullets sent to each other flying over our head, and avoiding artillery fire : D

Most epic stage we could get :D +100 for this one

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:26 am

Dragonoïde wrote:
VooDooQky wrote:Let us race thorough between 2 warring frontlines, where we see missiles and bullets sent to each other flying over our head, and avoiding artillery fire : D

Most epic stage we could get :D +100 for this one

I agree this would be neat :)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

ZzozZ

Postby ZzozZ » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:31 am

i know this may sound crazy but maps type like ssx game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9jlPpuwvI

Big jumps, Tunels, Road crossing, ceeling driving, after end ot he tunnel or some turns Wall Driving all kind of stuff on the video :) Also Ceiling Driving again :D

JoshG273

Postby JoshG273 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:53 am

Newbie to the grip forums, hi fellas. Here are some tracks I've had spinning round my head while playing:

Mines: Very tight, linear track design, not much splitting. Dimly lit tunnel sections, busy mining areas with rubble and explosives, and live shipping trains.

Stadium: A big loop the loop, corkscrew turns, hazards and plenty of twisting, all on a brightly lit, translucent track in a huge arena with spectators.

Arctic: Another track for the frozen planet, a research station with moving machinery, without it feeling too mariokarty. Racing through a section of warehousing and outdoor parts, big satellite dish in the background, something similar to skidpan from the original Rollcage.

City: More of a theme for several tracks. Highways, stations, small grass verges, futuristic design with 'pedestrian' routes above/below/to the sides with pickups and splitting off into tight shortcuts.

Refinery: Big factory complex, racing through viewing gallery areas overlooking machines and storage, external parts with ramps, a large silo you can drive in (and possibly wall drive to the top), all gradually climbing until you race down a large chute from the top.
Only a masochist uses a boost in a tunnel.

daktylus

Postby daktylus » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:21 pm

I didn't find any other thread concerning this issue, so I am leaving my suggestions to general track types here.

I would also love city/starship type tracks !!!!
Jungle tracks with some hardly visible turns
Stadium tracks with funny obstacles like loops jumps and wild, narrow sections. Yeah
Beach scenario with some tunnels under water. Perhaps a shortcut which a certain amount of speed to cross 100 m on the water surface.
Vulcano scenario: I just want to see glowing lava flowing next to the mostly black track. Would make some epic views and pictures. ;-)

Perhaps it is reasonable to gather the track type suggestions in this thread and start another poll to get some sort of priority.

Another idea.
Let the comunity help you. I know it is some effort to create a map editor, but it might pay off. I am sure the community might came up with some nice tracks. To avoid a confusing amount of semi-good tracks, like in some other games, you could introduce something like official tracks, where you add some really good community tracks, which are selected by the development team to ensure some level of quality. In this context you could arrange map creation contests.

Same can be applied for new cars. To avoid overpowered cars, the creator might be distribute a fixed amount of points to the car characteristics.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:43 pm

JoshG273 wrote:Newbie to the grip forums, hi fellas. Here are some tracks I've had spinning round my head while playing:

Hey Josh, welcome, and thanks for the suggestions

We'll be looking at the forums for feedback when making new tracks ;) So yours and daktylus' post below will be seen

daktylus wrote:Another idea.
Let the comunity help you. I know it is some effort to create a map editor, but it might pay off. I am sure the community might came up with some nice tracks. To avoid a confusing amount of semi-good tracks, like in some other games, you could introduce something like official tracks, where you add some really good community tracks, which are selected by the development team to ensure some level of quality. In this context you could arrange map creation contests.

Same can be applied for new cars. To avoid overpowered cars, the creator might be distribute a fixed amount of points to the car characteristics.

Yeah, we'd love to have the community make tracks and cars, but there's other stuff to focus on currently. Having some hand-picked community tracks/cars packaged with official Steam updates would be cool :)
Game Director
GRIP

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:25 pm

What about a track that is constructed like a Moebius strip with the floor being transparent and some additional twists and turns? You would would always be able to see opponents half a lap behind since you basically drive on the same floor, just on different sides. It obviously is a fairly simple shape so it would be a rather easy track.

This is how a Moebius strip looks like:

crazycupmuffin

Postby crazycupmuffin » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:05 pm

TheOnLY wrote:What about a track that is constructed like a Moebius strip with the floor being transparent and some additional twists and turns? You would would always be able to see opponents half a lap behind since you basically drive on the same floor, just on different sides. It obviously is a fairly simple shape so it would be a rather easy track.

After seeing your idea (Especially that bottom one). If this doesn't happen then i'm going to...........click play on grip. Get into the game. Immediately, furiously, alt and f4 myself out of there. :P Delete the game from my steam account. Run my cleaning software to get rid of any trace files of the game left. Then delete my system 32..........

I hope Chris is reading this!! And not out at some Toronto maple leafs game! :0

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:28 am

TheOnLY wrote:What about a track that is constructed like a Moebius strip with the floor being transparent and some additional twists and turns? You would would always be able to see opponents half a lap behind since you basically drive on the same floor, just on different sides. It obviously is a fairly simple shape so it would be a rather easy track.

That would be visually cool, but in terms of driving complexity.. It would be very Superbowl-esque
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:19 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:

That would be visually cool, but in terms of driving complexity.. It would be very Superbowl-esque

It was more about the general concept of the moebius strip basically having only one side. There obviously should be additional corners or other twists

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:50 pm

A moebius strip in disguise as a track would be very clever indeed.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:05 pm

TheOnLY wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:

It was more about the general concept of the moebius strip basically having only one side. There obviously should be additional corners or other twists

Fair enough. But there's also gravity problem. Like, what happens if you're on the bad side and you've come to a stop ?

If they can technically alter the gravity so that it works, it would be nice though

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Django
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Django » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:54 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:Fair enough. But there's also gravity problem. Like, what happens if you're on the bad side and you've come to a stop ?

If they can technically alter the gravity so that it works, it would be nice though

How about the whole thing or large parts are in fact a tunnel. So you cant fall into the Abyss. The ideal line would be the Moebius strip marked with lots of speedpads. The walls of the tunnel would be largly halftransparent.

Not sure which environment would be best for it. Maybe the City?

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:02 am

Unreal.2K7 wrote:Amazing! I've been reading through and i was "omg that's exactly what i wanted too!". So great job and i agree with the suggestions being given up to here.

Also i wanted to remind you about that part in Aftershocks where you have to drop in a hole, and you need to be aiming carefully or you loose time bouncing around the walls on your way to the bottom. I believe these kind of obstacles can be added too. Stuff that doesn't normally pertain to a race track but which still adds a nice level of gameplay. Especially when there will be a frikkin huge pile of cars smashing into each other in the pit right after the start and everyone in the chatroom will scream like crazy "omg what the hell is going on get out of my way no hey wait that wheel is mine hey get your booster out of my windshield no not you that other guy" kind of stuff :D:D

Also, let's not forget about the easiest way of literally doubling the number of tracks with probably less than 10 lines of code! Mirror mode! And why not, backward racing mode if the track allows for it?

YEEEEEES. If one implements Mirror Mode AND Reverse Mode one literally quadruples the number of tracks. Normal becomes Normal, Mirrored, Reversed, and Mirror + Reversed. One trick I found in a lot of racing games for getting Reverse mode to work right with all tracks is to make the reverse mode have a slightly different track layout; generally one drops down on a section of track from above or something. Some obstacle like a lip or something that can only be driven on in one direction but not the other, sort of like an 'inline check valve' works with liquid in a pipe. A lesser known (AFAIK) game that did this often was RC Revenge Pro for the PS2.

And all track elements seem amazing, but I'd like to see something like the "Top to Bottom" challenges in S2's Scramble mode. So one literally has to drive upside down, then fly off the end of a track and land on the opposite side of the car, perhaps doing so over a canyon or something. Maybe even make the track so that if one takes the floor in a tunnel they miss the jump but the ceiling makes it. It'd definitely make entering a shortcut more interesting. Driving through pipes is always interesting in racing games; perhaps utilize a massive sewer system in a city or a network of mine shafts for this effect?

One thing I've always wanted to see in a racetrack was an "AcceleBall" or something like that. Basically a giant sphere that racers enter at a tangent to any point on the sphere's surface (Like an underscore leading to an O {_O}) and they take a curving path along the sphere's inner surface and come out facing a diff. direction, perhaps straight up or down, on another section of track tangent to a diff. point on the sphere's surface. It'd be interesting for a U-Turn element where racers have to enter and exit thru the same hole, but they need to use the sphere to reverse direction first. Or maybe the racers enter going straight down and come out at a 90 degree angle from horizontal... it's a sphere in the track for pete's sake with one entrance and one (possibly different) exit, the possibilities are as numerous as the points on the surface of a sphere (Infinite?). Maybe there could be checkpoints within the sphere that racers need to hit in order, IDK. Seeing as this is a game completely based on driving on the walls and ceiling an "AcceleDome/Ball/Sphere/whatever" would fit right in. Perhaps the sphere could be an old tank of some sort, or the inner surface of a 'glass bubble' surrounding a city in order to make the area within more habitable...?

Another idea is 'double back' sections of track, where racers have to go one way down a straightaway, hit a checkpoint, then turn around and advance down the same straightaway in the opposite direction. Maybe make use of a structure at the end of the straightaway like a C, so the racers flip over to turn around. This would make head on collisions a factor to account for, like supersonic chicken, and could you imagine what two people firing rockets/machine guns directly at one another would look like? Leader missiles might get confused though...

Another city-based idea is driving up and down buildings, like I saw someone else mention.

Funnels, quarter pipes, oddly shaped loops, giant rotating bits to avoid... driving on water is difficult to rationalize seeing as these things have enough downforce to drive on ceilings but maybe drive through shallow water and make splash effects and reduce traction for a moment... maybe have the track shift as racers traverse it, like have shockwaves/ripples go up or down the track, or have the track violently pitch back and fourth... maybe a bridge could sway slightly... shortcuts involving rotating sections of track would be interesting but timing would be problematic... perhaps the race could go into the bowels of an active volcano, vibrations could trigger an eruption shooting the racers out the top, the same eruption could alter the landscape and change the track slightly... or make the race go through a geyser field that impacts traction if hit by a geyser... bridges could go out, obviously, and alter the track mid-race, perhaps bringing it into the valley below... floods that push the race to go submarine... Perhaps the race could cross dimensional barriers and racers wind up racing on floating geometric figures or something IDK lol. I'm sure the list is endless but let's never forget that the core of RC was driving on ceilings and indestructible vehicles, but there's no reason why the mind can't wander. :)
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:34 am

Track complexity wouldn't be a problem, really. A Moebius Strip is merely a ring of material with only one side; it doesn't have to be configured in a circle, as TheOnLY said. The track could have any shape, so long as there's a twist somewhere that forces both sides of the entire track to be utilized. A 'Skytrack' would work for this. As for gravity, that's simple. Simply create the "Moebius Strip" track so that the starting blocks are on a level surface. One idea I had was to make the Moebius Strip be a form of Partial Dyson Sphere (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere) made up of some sort of solar panel, but then I realized that, again, gravity might be hard to do. Logically, the gravity would need to be directed towards the star the Dyson Sphere is surrounding, but making gravity work like that, where every point on the track pulls the car towards the star, would likely be difficult to replicate in code. Additionally, there wouldn't be any atmosphere to create downforce, so it wouldn't make much sense... although a Moebius Strip track would definitely be something I'd like to see.
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:50 pm

DriftRacer14 wrote:YEEEEEES. If one implements Mirror Mode AND Reverse Mode one literally quadruples the number of tracks.

We already have both mirror mode and reverse versions of tracks
Game Director
GRIP

uuaapeli

Postby uuaapeli » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:07 pm

The most important elements of a good track:

1. Stuff for the player to react involuntarily to
- Meaning trains, warzones, gates, etc.
- These have been discussed ofcoure, and stuff like that will propably end up in the game, plenty of that
- This stuff needs an on/off switch when it comes to competitive online multiplayer. People will start to get frustrated if it's not 100% about skill

And more importantly...
2. Stuff for the player to react voluntarily to
- What I mean is natural looking ramplike stuff. Not like a shortcut or an alternative route, but something smaller that is optional and could be used to just pass other player or dodge missiles etc.
- There already are ofcourse multiple routes to choose in many tracks in the game.
- This has been under discussion more as a feature of weaponry and PvP. It is interaction what makes a game playable after hundreds of hours. And the more ways of using a player can invent for a weapon or a piece of terrain (plus all the combinations) the deeper the game gets.

I guess all of the above most people agree but how to add these elements in practice is not all that simple i think. I've come to the conclusion that the most important thing to be added to the current situation of the tracks is more usable terrain. So that the player can make different decisions every lap in the same location of a track. This causes PvP to be more unpredictable for the opponents and it adds a feel of opportunity for the player himself.

Also to be able to target barrel piles with missiles would be important in my opinion.
Last edited by uuaapeli on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:24 pm

I 100% agree with the post above. Currently a lot of stuff just works "as designed", but only minor alteration can be done to it, restricting choice or freedom of the player.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:15 am

+1 @uuaapeli

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:15 am

more diverse terrain! absolutely. a perfect way to ad depth. RC1 did this well with only two grip surfaces - high and low. even though it was fairly basic it ads more meaning to your choice of path to take; the risk reward balance. One section of track is short but built for speed with boost pads everywhere, the other option is short but challenging to negotiate. in some sections you really need to fight your car and maintain a good line. i really liked this in RC1, took me a while to learn but it means i still pick the game up to play nearly 20 years on! more DNA from colin mcrae and less mariokart....

and plus i'm one of the RC players that liked the quirks on some of the RC! tracks - the section of track where you need to slow down and drop down to the train track, flood zone with the strait that forces vehicles to race head on, the big rises on daytona (i.e. through the tunnel after the start that requires you to slow before the apex, the massive jump before the finish that necessitates planning and control in the lead up) and the many extended wall rides on so many of the tracks. would love to see more of this!

Return to “Tracks”