Poll: What kind of track elements would you most like to see?

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.

What kind of track elements excite you the most?

Ceiling Driving
11%
Wall Driving
11%
Big jumps
9%
Loops
6%
Twisting Track
8%
Hairpin Turns
3%
Tight Tunnels
4%
Track Obstacles (dodging things)
5%
Destructible objects (pillars, buildings, bridges, etc)
12%
Trick jumps (ex. spin off a ramp into a slot the size of your car)
3%
Hidden routes (ex. shoot with a missile to discover)
9%
Triggered Events (ex. spaceship crashes onto the track, bridge collapses)
10%
Random Enviornmental Factors (ex. Tornados, meteors, ice storm, flying alien sheep)
9%

Total votes: 1163

Everett Spair

Re: Poll: What kind of track elements would you most like to see?

Postby Everett Spair » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:53 am

I'm fine with most elements although I don't feel that loops would fit this type of game.
Also I'm not sure hairpin turns would be a good idea. You'd force players to slow down a lot with such a turn.

Jello_Snake
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Jello_Snake » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:00 am

Everett Spair wrote:I'm fine with most elements although I don't feel that loops would fit this type of game.
Also I'm not sure hairpin turns would be a good idea. You'd force players to slow down a lot with such a turn.

Hairpin turns for alternate routes only, since the extra skill involved in breaking just enough but not too much should be reserved for optional paths.

As for loops. I just want there to be at least one sonic style loopdeloop. At least one.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:40 am

Jello_Snake wrote:
Everett Spair wrote:I'm fine with most elements although I don't feel that loops would fit this type of game.

Hairpin turns for alternate routes only, since the extra skill involved in breaking just enough but not too much should be reserved for optional paths.

As for loops. I just want there to be at least one sonic style loopdeloop. At least one.

The problem with loops is what happens if you fall.. Basically you're f*cked
(and you're even more f*cked than if it was a regular tunnel, since you need speed to take the loop)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:43 pm

KazzyMac wrote:a city planet could easily have some underground maintenance tunnels or sewer systems erm ... 'commandeered' ... by the Grip crews at short warning?

Hmm yeah, but apparently the plan is to only have three tracks per environment according to the Kickstarter page. I would rather each environment solidify a certain niche. In other words, that all the tracks have a predominant city theme in 'Orbital Prime'.

Therefore, if a spaceship environment was to be included, all tracks could be focussed around the design of the inside of the ship, offering fall enclosed race tracks with things like window panes into space, pillars, jumps ...

Maybe you're right though. An underground track certainly could fill the same kinda niche. I just thought it was cool being in the Jumpgate tracks. At least it has more of a theme than just an "underground theme".

But then a 'Orbital Prime' track which does dip into the underground for a large part of the track... i guess it does add an interest dynamic / variation to the theme of the environment.

Hmmm, i'm torn on this hehe. I'm debating myself now! :lol:

Jello_Snake
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Jello_Snake » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:49 am

I always liked sewer levls in like every kind of video. Not sure why, they always manage to be fun.

mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby mrjimp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:46 am

I want all of the options!

Also, I would like the booster pads. You know the arrows you run over that gives you a speed boost? Dont forget them!

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:59 pm

mrjimp wrote:I would like the booster pads.

Yeah, don't worry, i'm pretty sure Chris said they would be added.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:50 pm

I think it'd be fun to have a track that's all one long tube, like that one track in Stage II. Something in Harpoon Islands, the name is escaping me at the moment. Deep Pressure maybe?
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:53 pm

wantfastcars wrote:I think it'd be fun to have a track that's all one long tube, like that one track in Stage II. Something in Harpoon Islands, the name is escaping me at the moment. Deep Pressure maybe?

Yes this is Deep Pressure. Some track underneath the sea would be neat indeed
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:04 am

I mentioned i wanted this too, as there was a lack of any Harpoon islands environment, and Chris replied with an idea about a part of the Jungle environments track in which a tunnel could dip under a lake / swamp and back out again, or something along those lines.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:57 pm

Yeah it would be awesome to have underwater tunnels. Wouldn't fit into the lore all that well, but... it's too damn cool not to want to add ;)

I've also been exploring the idea of tunnels that split into 2/3/4, as well as really tight tunnels, and tunnels that have built in obstacles (while not destroying flow)

As for hairpins, I've already got one in the current track but it's in a tunnel so you can take it at a really high speed
Game Director
GRIP

meskalamdug
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby meskalamdug » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:06 am

Definitely trick jumps! But not extreme as trackmania style and for only alternate/hidden routes. It'll be optional to prevent newbie frustration and experienced players can do it. Sometimes you need to show your skills and this is one of them. It can be shorter path to catch up or run away with safety. It supports replayability of the track when you want to improve your best lap time. These are the elements to make Grip better than Rollcage.

And I'm quite opposite of random factors. It's not any good for fair racing or best lap.

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:50 am

Chris_CE wrote:Yeah it would be awesome to have underwater tunnels. Wouldn't fit into the lore all that well, but... it's too damn cool not to want to add ;)

It doesn't have to be underwater, could be underground, like an abandoned mine shaft or something. I was thinking just a closed tube rather than specifically an underwater tube
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:38 am

Chris_CE wrote:I've also been exploring the idea of tunnels that split into 2/3/4, as well as really tight tunnels, and tunnels that have built in obstacles (while not destroying flow)

What about being able to destroy an outer glass, so that it releases water, and then it starts to leak ?

Would be pretty funny if that happens say in the last lap : the glass that has been the most hit during the race breaks up, and water starts flowing all around.

This could be the occasion to drive on the ceiling to avoid the water flowing ;)

Might be way too much painful to implement though, both visually and physically.

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

landvaarder
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby landvaarder » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:46 am

Chris_CE wrote:Yeah it would be awesome to have underwater tunnels. Wouldn't fit into the lore all that well, but... it's too damn cool not to want to add ;)

Could be part of an abandoned facility (on liddo 5 maybe?).
GRIP just hijacked the access codes and opened & converter the place for racing.
Lurking mod's holy scripture: a must read :ugeek:

And as a finishing touch
God created the dutch

Moderator of the Image

Racle
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Racle » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:52 am

I have to say, everything sounds extremely awesome :D But I really like idea of hidden routes. There could also be hidden routes where you need trick jump/wallride to get there.
There is no spoon
- The Matrix

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:10 pm

meskalamdug wrote:Definitely trick jumps! But not extreme as trackmania style and for only alternate/hidden routes. It'll be optional to prevent newbie frustration and experienced players can do it. Sometimes you need to show your skills and this is one of them. It can be shorter path to catch up or run away with safety. It supports replayability of the track when you want to improve your best lap time. These are the elements to make Grip better than Rollcage.

Yeah the idea of hidden routes or alternate routes that are shorter but take much more skill is appealing. Though sometimes those shorter routes are far too exploited if they're not done properly. Needs to be a good level of difficulty as well as limiting in that not every racer access it. Requires a ton of testing.

Track layouts will be done early on, so they can be tested and tested to perfection. Then they get assigned to a planet and populated with art.

wantfastcars wrote:It doesn't have to be underwater, could be underground, like an abandoned mine shaft or something. I was thinking just a closed tube rather than specifically an underwater tube

Well...
landvaarder wrote:Could be part of an abandoned facility (on liddo 5 maybe?).
GRIP just hijacked the access codes and opened & converter the place for racing.

This would work perfectly, since Liddo 5 is peppered with research facilities and not much else. Could have an underwater facility studying sea-life

Racle wrote:I have to say, everything sounds extremely awesome :D But I really like idea of hidden routes. There could also be hidden routes where you need trick jump/wallride to get there.

Yiss
Game Director
GRIP

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:11 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:What about being able to destroy an outer glass, so that it releases water, and then it starts to leak ?

Would be pretty funny if that happens say in the last lap : the glass that has been the most hit during the race breaks up, and water starts flowing all around.

This could be the occasion to drive on the ceiling to avoid the water flowing ;)

Might be way too much painful to implement though, both visually and physically.

This is how you add a month to development time :D
Game Director
GRIP

Daniel
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Daniel » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:14 pm

I want to see it all :D

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:27 am

Chris_CE wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:What about being able to destroy an outer glass, so that it releases water, and then it starts to leak ?

This is how you add a month to development time :D

It would totally be worth it man.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Return to “Tracks”