Poll: What kind of track elements would you most like to see?

Talk about anything to do with the race courses here.

What kind of track elements excite you the most?

Ceiling Driving
11%
Wall Driving
11%
Big jumps
9%
Loops
6%
Twisting Track
8%
Hairpin Turns
3%
Tight Tunnels
4%
Track Obstacles (dodging things)
5%
Destructible objects (pillars, buildings, bridges, etc)
12%
Trick jumps (ex. spin off a ramp into a slot the size of your car)
3%
Hidden routes (ex. shoot with a missile to discover)
9%
Triggered Events (ex. spaceship crashes onto the track, bridge collapses)
10%
Random Enviornmental Factors (ex. Tornados, meteors, ice storm, flying alien sheep)
9%

Total votes: 1170

Roq
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: Poll: What kind of track elements would you most like to see?

Postby Roq » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:41 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:I've also been exploring the idea of tunnels that split into 2/3/4, as well as really tight tunnels, and tunnels that have built in obstacles (while not destroying flow)

What about being able to destroy an outer glass, so that it releases water, and then it starts to leak ?

Would be pretty funny if that happens say in the last lap : the glass that has been the most hit during the race breaks up, and water starts flowing all around.

This could be the occasion to drive on the ceiling to avoid the water flowing ;)

Might be way too much painful to implement though, both visually and physically.

Ideas like this are awesome. Maybe water physics is to much to deal with, but how about hitting objects like buildings that spill out liquid that freeze the track for a short duration. Doesn't have to be liquid, could be something like hitting a power building and half the track get s electrified for a while. Nice alternative to power-ups having people tactically aim for these as well as just accidents happening naturally.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:50 pm

It is indeed an interesting idea to bring the environment into the fray. Liquid nitrogen tanks could burst and freeze an area of track, causing cars to slip n slide. Then a well placed missile heats it back up to normal again.

Things like this are awesome in theory, but sometimes are incredibly painful to implement.
Game Director
GRIP

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:04 am

After seeing the holo barriers in the figure 8 track, I think holo objects might fit in the game. At least for barriers. maybe bridges across certain areas can be holographic
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Sigrid » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Unreal.2K7 wrote: Mirror mode! And why not, backward racing mode if the track allows for it?

Reverse tracks: HELL YEAH
Mirror mode: Aw please no, that's the worst thing ever imagined.

RacR268
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby RacR268 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:14 pm

I really like the glow of the holo barriers. What I would like to see is Speed Pads in RC1 and RCS2 make a return to the tracks. When I started playing GRIP for the first time I got a bit lost on the Figure 8 Track after I went up the ramp and landed on the ceiling so perhaps with the holo barriers they could have glowing arrows that would indicate the direction to go in. That would help those who are racing a track for the first time.

Demigan

Postby Demigan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:41 am

I like them all

I would like to add some things:

Alternate and highly visible paths that take more skill to pull off. For instance a road that twists around itself, allowing players to drive both on the top and the bottom. Drive along with the twist and switch which side you ride on to gain advantages such as in-the-road speedboosts, items or simply a shorter road... If you make it of course.

Add a few tracks where you can drive over thin ledges, walls and ceilings to get advantages compared to driving normally and you are set for a high-speed challenge.

Then you have the simple fact that Grip has the unique ability to work in more than the horizontal dimension. Add places where the race goes straight up a wall, places where you drive up half a loop and then end up in a tunnel above the track you just drove on for your return trip. Add places where you can drive straight down etc.
The only problem you are faced in these instances is how to deal with being hit. It will probably be too punishing if you fall down the entire way if you are halfway up a wall and get hit once, taking way more time to recover from that hit than anywhere else on the track. I think this can be solved with "sticky" surfaces and making any part of the track that moves vertically up/down a tunnel. The sticky surface allows you to stand still on that surface despite standing vertical, and by making it a tunnel you'll make sure you'll hit any part of the tunnel on your way down and be able to recover before falling all the way back to the ground.

AssKickerson

Postby AssKickerson » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:10 pm

Tracks with big jumps. How about a track thats very straight/wavy but with alot of hills? There's a really fun and steep challenge in learning to slow down at times and make sure that you vehicle doesn't fly off a ramp wrong messing up your landing. Also a fan of the above post with a part of the track thats at a very steep angle. A tunnel that goes down at like 90 degrees whereby it just becomes a freefall if you get hit at all. Think it would be fun.
Last edited by AssKickerson on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:13 am

"flying alien sheep"

This. So much :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Some great suggestions here guys. Not ignoring them, just have limited time to post comments
Game Director
GRIP

Silverviolet

Postby Silverviolet » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:57 pm

Will any of the tracks feature water? Perhaps a coastal environment, or transparent tubes racing underwater with ocean life?

Might've already been mentioned somewhere.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:01 pm

Yep, various threads have been started about it. Liddo5 will no doubt have a coastal map
Game Director
GRIP

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:52 pm

A coastal map?? That'd be so sweet!! There needs to be a section where you drive on a path on the side of a mountain, and there's a steep fall below into the sea :D
You're just a voice pal.

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:07 am

Maybe could we get some more open track sections, or overlaps, where the behind racers could target the ones which are further, with missiles? For example, on Yuri, I could lock on scorpions from the entrance of the hairpin bend tunnel to the ones, which were coming out of it's end. Ofc hitting them is hard to do there, because that opposing direction which can be seen is very short. With that, the backwards racers could give a bit of hard time to the leader or furthermost ones, by shooting scorpions or EMPs at them, and possibly decreasing their advantage in distance from the pack. These kinds of track designs could help a little bit with sticking the pack together.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:52 am

I think you'll like the tracks that are coming, Voodoo ;)
Game Director
GRIP

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:27 pm

Oh, it's totally like you read my mind Chris, i'm waiting eagerly! ;)

Dragonoïde

Postby Dragonoïde » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:48 am

All of this elements sounds great , it's difficult to not vote for everyone of them ^^

You already have a lot of good ideas for environnement and i can't wait to see the nexts tracks :D
i've made a list of some environnement that could be use, tell me what do you think about it :

- Submarine base
- Scorched earth around active volcano ( with some Research facility around )
- Active metallurgical plant / Power plant
- Spaceship graveyard
- Artificial tropical island / Artificial Jungle
- Abandoned mine shaft
- dead planet ( moon like environnement )

don't hesitate to correct me if you see some mistakes.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Looks like we're all (devs included) on the same page regarding track ideas ;)

Submarine was mentionned here:
https://cagedelement.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3425&p=13742&hilit=SUBMARINE#p13742

Abandonned mine here:
https://cagedelement.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3425&p=13742&hilit=SUBMARINE#p13742
some of the ideas were already used like the stalactit and the large cave area

Liddo tracks like Transport are already happening in the jungle/in a tropical environment, huge trees are missing is all X)

Moon track ideas already there:
https://cagedelement.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3293&p=13134&hilit=moon#p13134

Yep, devs know most of what we'd like I reckon :)

Dragonoïde

Postby Dragonoïde » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Yeah , I suspected that these environnement had already been requested ^^.

I've made a little mistake for the first idea x) my bad, I mistranslated "base sous-marine" in french into submarine base.
I wanted to say a station above the ocean , with pipes leading to many sections.

What do you think about the others environnement ? my favorite one would be the Spaceship graveyard

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:39 pm

I have a submarine fetish atm. Other than that, I can't choose between those track ideas. Time and CagedElement resources will tell.

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Let us race thorough between 2 warring frontlines, where we see missiles and bullets sent to each other flying over our head, and avoiding artillery fire : D

Oh, and a bit of vertical racing plz, with speedpads :P

Return to “Tracks”