Those dam mines ;)

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
CaptOven

Those dam mines ;)

Postby CaptOven » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:37 pm

I think the mines should go after a lap like they did in Mario kart with the bananas which should then limit them. It might be in my head but after 9 hours I'm starting to feel they're everywhere and quite often unavoidable.

potterman28wxcv
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Those dam mines ;)

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:58 am

I believe they already do so ? I might be mistaken though. However, if you're first, you barely get any mine in front of you most of the time.

I think the problem is more in the probability for someone to pick a mine powerup - it's a bit high, and makes the race difficult when you're in the middle.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:24 am

Mines stay for one minute, but you can usually do a lap in a little less than that.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:00 am

I've got a note about reducing the timer on mines so that they blow up before cars are able to do a lap
Game Director
GRIP

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:05 pm

I'd personally like that after there is a lot more pick-ups and mines are less common, they should stay until they are being detonated, be it through someone driving over or blowing it up with the Raptor or something else.

Otherwise the mines will be a bit too... safe. Kind of not what you expect from a mine in a combat racer.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:20 pm

Ryu Makkuro wrote:I'd personally like that after there is a lot more pick-ups and mines are less common, they should stay until they are being detonated, be it through someone driving over or blowing it up with the Raptor or something else.

+1 actually. The shoe might fit without nerfing the mines provided more pickups make their appearance, as most already said.

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:10 pm

Queadah wrote:
Ryu Makkuro wrote:I'd personally like that after there is a lot more pick-ups and mines are less common, they should stay until they are being detonated, be it through someone driving over or blowing it up with the Raptor or something else.

+1 actually. The shoe might fit without nerfing the mines provided more pickups make their appearance, as most already said.

Mines need to stay until triggered for sure. If the leader can't avoid a mine someone behind them put on the track, then maybe said leader should slow down and let someone else handle it for them :twisted:
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

XT3

Postby XT3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:57 pm

I like the idea that they stay till they get blown up but missiles or another car.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:07 am

Amen. No more timers on those babies and let our own mines rekt our faces \o/

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Indeed, nearby missiles should trigger mines

And yes, once there are more pickups there should be less mine spam
Game Director
GRIP

macgyvernunes

Postby macgyvernunes » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:25 pm

i think the mines should be magnetic. a near by car will atract them and in 5sec they blow out.
if car is flipped the mine is dropped, how about that?

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed May 03, 2017 10:11 am

Interesting idea. Thoughts anyone?
Game Director
GRIP

Splotchie

Postby Splotchie » Wed May 03, 2017 11:02 am

Don't feel like that would make much difference since the situation where a car can flip in five seconds is probably much rarer than the situation where a car runs into a mine.
That could be a good thing though. If the mine stays active after being dropped and doesn't expire after a lap it would make races very interesting...
An odd choice for ship's cat...
Check out my original music at https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com, or anything else under Vertigo Fox!

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Wed May 03, 2017 4:02 pm

In Rollcage it could work 'cause of the many angled walls, but GRIP just has rocks that launch you into the air.

Just a crazy thought, but how about a mine that arms when you use a powerup?
Then you have 5 (or 3/whatever) seconds to transfer the mine to another vehicle by bumping into it. If you fail to do so, the mine explodes on you.

Splotchie

Postby Splotchie » Wed May 03, 2017 6:21 pm

At worst that could discourage players, especially new players (or anybody at low health for that matter), from using powerups.
My gut feeling is that it's the kind of punishment that could be easily replaced with something positive or at least not so blatantly negative. Positive feedback is generally more fun.
Check out my original music at https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com, or anything else under Vertigo Fox!

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu May 04, 2017 1:59 am

I'm getting back on that idea above. That mines could be magnetic and attracted by a nearby rig, only to be dropped if it flips is kinda cool...

Splotchie

Postby Splotchie » Thu May 04, 2017 9:22 am

Yeah I like that one, cause it might not matter normally but it would make you feel pretty awesome when it did.

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Thu May 04, 2017 3:23 pm

macgyvernunes wrote:i think the mines should be magnetic. a near by car will atract them and in 5sec they blow out.
if car is flipped the mine is dropped, how about that?

Could be fun. I further propose that if you drive directly in to the mine it explodes immediately (if this was not intended already) and if you drive close by enough the magnetic effect takes place. Broscar's idea could be also applied here; you could transfer the mine by hitting other player physically! That could make some epic moments....

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:43 am

Well since we're talking about charges sticking to vehicles I think we've come up with a concept for a while new powerup. Keep the mines somewhat how they are, but add another "Magnetized Charges" powerup that does the things you're talking about (Transfer on physical contact, drops if the car flips, etc).
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon May 22, 2017 5:12 pm

This sounds like it would be better for a hot potato arena mode.

One player gets the explosive charge. They have 10 seconds to flip the car onto it's opposite side, which then sends the armed charge to the nearest opponent. If they instead do not flip, they blow up and respawn, down a point (or 100 points, whatever)

The next car to get the charge needs to do the same, and so on until the match ends (by timer, or if one car hasn't lost any points)

This would only work for human players, as coding AI would no doubt be a nightmare
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”