From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Aegis Shield

Postby Queadah » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 am

Totally legit analysis, however as twisted said:
twisted wrote:
  • As long as you have it activated it is taking one powerup slot.
  • Once you deploy it, the powerup icon change showing you that you can switch it to the front and back. Hiting that powerup button switch it to the front.
  • If you hold button, you drop the shield allowing you to take a second powerup back again.

Third point: holding the input for shield would drop it, so imo, twisted is close to the best of every world.

playabot

Postby playabot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:08 am

Dudes, I like the shields persistence and keeping that weapon slot clear - its not really op when everyone has the chance to pick up a shield. I think that removing this would lessen strategic possibilities available to players...

At most make the shield have a max time limit that can be upgraded - but keep the slot clear imo.

Additionally, to ad to shield functionality, I would like to see the devs play with the idea of timing the activation of your shield to deflect missiles i.e. missile incoming, warnings beeping, impact imminent, activate shield and the missile is deflected, the driver left with an active shield. If you want to play it safe, activate early and lose the shield in the impact. If you mistime it, you wear it.

Ad a bit of nuance to things.

twisted

Postby twisted » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:56 am

playabot wrote:Dudes, I like the shields persistence and keeping that weapon slot clear - its not really op when everyone has the chance to pick up a shield. I think that removing this would lessen strategic possibilities available to players...

I disagree and here's why:

- Picking up the shield is just about luck really, a variable which cannot be determined. When I say it's OP it's not because of that, but rather because once you have it, you can pick up two other powerups for a total of three making you stronger than the majority of your opponents. The more the game is balanced, the closer the pack of cars will be to each others, a crucial point in an action game that is about fighting your opponents.

- You have to keep in minds that a lot of players asked for having the shield switchable to the front, including being able to drop powerups... features that could be hardly implemented with the limited control scheme of a gamepad. The solution I propose include all this with one single button.

- I think that it would add even more strategy, asking yourself... ''should I get rid of my defensive shield at the expanse of gaining one more offensive weapon but risk getting hit or play it safe and balanced with one offensive and one defensive weapon?'' It gives you the choice, the choice of playing it offensive or defensive. Right now, you don't have it, it's about forced strategy because you can't choose when you will be OP as it's determined by luck, the luck of picking up the shield and two other weapons. The solution I propose still gives you the ability to attack, it's not like you were losing the other slot anyway. You have to keep in mind the shield is the only permanent powerup in the game, so it's a privilege, a powerful one rather than a crutch. And the fact that you gain the ability to switch it to the front makes it less static, more fun interaction-wise and slightly more powerful (to counter the lost), by giving you the ability to hit a mine without a scratch if inadvertently you see it at the last second and it's too late to jump over it. In fact, I think we should be able to ram any mines and the only thing that should break the shield is missiles. This way, people will feel that even if you miss one pickup slot, the shield is valuable. I can already see me switching between front and rear to save my ***. Add to this a flares powerup for avoiding missiles and it would be totally awesome!
Last edited by twisted on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

playabot

Postby playabot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:09 pm

I stand by my comments man, the shield may be the only persistent weapon in the game but it is largely the only counter to the majority of the other strictly offensive weapons.

Set and forget works for me. Regardless, one missile strike will remove the 'privilege'. The second will own you.

The argument re 'i get to hold more weapons then other players at a particular time', may also be redundant, often there is time enough to use a weapon between pickup locations and fundamentally one slot will do - not that that's my argument. I would be concerned if suddenly I found myself carrying three shields but that never happens. And man, while you're collecting weapons the rest of the field isn't static, they're collecting weapons too and may well end up with an active shield and two full slots.

I'm not against the potential to absorb weapons to recover health or boost. Not against a switchable shield ether as a counter to mines (and the eventual inclusion of the reversing leader missile ;)) But I'm very comfortable with shield persistence and the two slots. No sacred cows I get it and I'm happy to play with anything (it will be balanced in the end).

I wouldn't be adverse to an upgrade path for the weapon that eventually results in it being more persistent, have a deflection function, switch function...

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:38 am

playabot wrote:Additionally, to ad to shield functionality, I would like to see the devs play with the idea of timing the activation of your shield to deflect missiles i.e. missile incoming, warnings beeping, impact imminent, activate shield and the missile is deflected, the driver left with an active shield. If you want to play it safe, activate early and lose the shield in the impact. If you mistime it, you wear it.

Ad a bit of nuance to things.

I like this a lot.

Also, the concept of the shield not taking up a weapon slot is from Rollcage, thus the support/complaining from vets to keep it like that.
Rollcage balanced this out by having shields deteriorate on nearby explosions and running into walls, which meant shields didn't last all that long. GRIP doesn't have this mechanic and as a result racers are guaranteed surviving at least 1 weapon hit, in a game where weapon hits are less common due to it being more spaced out than Rollcage.

Twisted's idea has been discussed in 2015 too, but vets really don't like it when you take away their powerup slot (me included).
Personally I say slap a timer on the aegis. Make 'em last 5 or 8 seconds (or until weapon hit), then disappear.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:10 am

+1 on Broscar's quote above from playabot.

I do consider myself as a vet and did prefer shield not taking a slot, however:
  • I do acknowledge leaving it in its slot gives control for say, a "flip" functionality WITHOUT having to attribute a new key
  • In my taste, this functionality outweights the drawback of an occupied slot considering mines, opponents facing you with gattlers in arena AND soon perhaps, the assassin hitting you from the front!
  • Considering holding input for shield COULD drop it, thus clearing the slot (suggested by twisted), the urge for a timer seems less relevant
...which is why I'm changing camp.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:31 pm

I also like Twisted's notes on the shield. Takes a slot, can switch back n forth by tap (or slight hold), then hold to drop.

I do like the idea of the player needing to initiate it for protection though, perhaps it can be:

Tap input = initiate for 4 seconds
Hold input (1.5 sec) = switch to opposite end and initiate for 4 seconds
Hold input (3 seconds) = ditch shield and clear inventory spot
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Takes a slot, can switch back n forth by tap (or slight hold], then hold to drop.

That would be REALLY good news... can't wait to test the basics of it :D !! (unsure about the timers only)

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”