Some weapons, especially mines are boring

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Only Mostly Here

Re: Some weapons, especially mines are boring

Postby Only Mostly Here » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:09 pm

Agree that mines are boring, but wouldn't say they're always ineffective. Their impact is in more or less the right place for a weapon that is so easy to use IMO - generally won't do much to a car at full throttle, but if you hit one in a turn or certain other prime spots they can really mess you up. They can also sometimes cause situations where moving to avoid the mine can have a bigger negative impact than hitting it.

Anyway, wouldn't be too sad to see them gone altogether considering their usage is pretty one dimensional - put them in the obvious technical/tight spots and hope someone gets unlucky - but interested to see what the planned solution is.

codemonkey
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby codemonkey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:31 am

Only Mostly Here wrote:Agree that mines are boring, but wouldn't say they're always ineffective. Their impact is in more or less the right place for a weapon that is so easy to use IMO - generally won't do much to a car at full throttle, but if you hit one in a turn or certain other prime spots they can really mess you up. They can also sometimes cause situations where moving to avoid the mine can have a bigger negative impact than hitting it.

Anyway, wouldn't be too sad to see them gone altogether considering their usage is pretty one dimensional - put them in the obvious technical/tight spots and hope someone gets unlucky - but interested to see what the planned solution is.

Look at the end-of-game stats my friend, they're ineffective.
Rob
Technical Honcho
Caged Element

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:50 am

codemonkey wrote:Look at the end-of-game stats my friend, they're ineffective.

Truth be told there is very little things to do to make them interesting (I'm also in the camp to keep them really).

Many suggestions already in the thread but:
  • instead of being "2d", like, they drop on the ground...
  • they could be "3d" by floating wherever someone dropped them (e.g. mid-air) !!
  • their area of influence could also be 3d, a whole sphere, so you'd have to jump high enough or be way below not to trigger it
And I could go on... :)

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”