Lets talk about the Leader Missile

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: Lets talk about the Leader Missile

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:59 am

The reason you can see the difference in Rollcage is because the leader is like 1/4 the size of a car, so it's huge.

Since GRIP is semi-realistic, if we were to have a missile that big it would need to assemble itself or something before take-off

Having the missile larger also means it's harder to have it navigate the tighter areas of tracks
Game Director
GRIP

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:22 pm

I remember that once I got the Genesis in RC:S2, I barely cast a glance at the leader missile warning. Leader Missile was actually pathetically slower than the Genesis and a few other vehicles, such as the Scorpion. Keep the throttle down and you'll actually see the gap between you and the leader INCREASE in S2 (even with the Type I if I remember correctly), so naturally I kind of like the idea of the 'gradually accelerating Assassin'. Would actually make the adrenaline pump once I start seeing the "Inbound Assassin" warning XD
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:04 am

So will it still be impossible for the leader missile to attack the leader from the front?

I was wondering if it could be programmed (baring in mind I have no idea how to program) to pass the leader and then disappear. From the point that it disappears a second missile could spawn and target the leader. The weapon could be upgraded to fire a barrage of missiles back at the leader. Some smoke and mirrors I know but would it be possible to try this?

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Hey agcue, that's very much possible (if we can convince Rob), but let's see how it'll all plays out once more pickups are implemented and the pickup orbs are balanced.

playabot

Postby playabot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:26 am

I like the idea of the missle turning around too - and striking with enough force to knock the vehicle back. It lends itself to the potential for upgrading nicely. 1st lvl could attack from the rear 2nd lvl from the front but with more force, knocking the leader back and 3rd lvl being some kind of barrage, missles could have a bit of a delay so as to have the potential to strike other racers near the leader.

fenixblue

Postby fenixblue » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Is there any legitimate reason to have the Assassin just be a clone of the Rollcage missile, other than for the sake of nostalgia?
GRIP can make the Assassin cool to use standing on its own without being a copy-paste job.

The cars can go March 1 and the Assassin is faster in order to catch them, so we should be seeing and hearing a supersonic shockwave to really set the missile apart from the Scorpion other than being "the blue missile". Seeing a supersonic cone on the missile in UE4 would look kickass and the shockwave could shake the screen after the missile passes you. So you really feel it that this is a really powerful weapon, and a class above the rest.

For a name like "The Assassin" I think being able to see it coming for miles defeats the purpose imo. Keep the HUD warning of "Assassin Inbound" but add on the fact that the Assassin accelerates over time from transonic to supersonic and maybe even hypersonic at maximum distance so the window of time to react is narrower and narrower. The further distance away from the leader that the Assassin is launched the greater speed and damage done by the sheer velocity increase. The Assassin just feels like an annoyance right now, without being able to DNF, and doesnt even take someone out in a full load like the Stinger.

Additionally it should be a bigger threat and do something about the Assassin spam so it's more rare. When it's launched it should be feared, not only taking out the shield but also doing damage because Aegis shouldnt be able to totally negate it like it does with Scorpions, just soften the blow.

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”