Weapon Design / Appearance

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Tazeram

Weapon Design / Appearance

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:25 am

I was wondering... if it is going to be included, what colour is the Driller Missile going to be?

I would like to see it Blue, like in Rollcage 1, than Green like in Rollcage Stage 2, as not only do i think the Blue colour looks cooler, but the 'Leader Missile' already has a green trail, and i'd rather see them as distinct colours. Unless the 'Leader Missile' could be made to have a red trail, because it is badass...

However, are Missiles even going to have coloured trails in this game? I don't even know yet. Are they all going to be similar missiles visually to the standard one we see in the trailer, with the smoke trail? I prefer colour for the other two missile types! It's a good distinguishing mechanism, as well as being aesthetically pleasing. :P

This may be a good thread to post ideas of what you would like the Power-Ups in the Game to look like. :P

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Weapon Design / Appearance

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:59 am

I want a disco leader missile ! :D
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:52 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:I want a disco leader missile ! :D

I second this and it must play funky disco music.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:08 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:I want a disco leader missile ! :D

yellowquiet wrote:I second this and it must play funky disco music.

You're driving along... and very gradually you hear some funk music get louder and louder, until the disco missile is revealed with multicolours and and a sparkling effect! Upon impact, you hear a cheesy comic book style "WHAM" chord stab. :lol:

Seriously though guys, cmon... :)

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:12 pm

Tazeram wrote:You're driving along... and very gradually you hear some funk music get louder and louder, until the disco missile is revealed with multicolours and and a sparkling effect! Upon impact, you hear a cheesy comic book style "WHAM" chord stab. :lol:

Seriously though guys, cmon... :)

Should at least be a joke weapon. Like the chances of it ever appearing is 1/100th or something like that. That way being hit with a disco missile isn't so bad anymore.
Last edited by yellowquiet on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Actually, i quite like the idea of rare 'Gimmicks' / 'Easter Eggs'!

Some should be put on signs as jokes, if the classic floating signs are going to be in this game (please be so, please be so), but some of them should be rare enough that the player has played the game for a long time, and then stumbles upon this 'one off' ridiculous thing, and be like... the hell just happened! :shock: :lol:

But this should probably be made another thread in itself! Hell, i was even wondering if Signs were going to be in the game the other day, but i don't think i should make a thread out of everything my mind wonders upon while thinking about Grip. :P

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Tazeram wrote:Actually, i quite like the idea of rare Gimmicks! But some of them should be rare enough that the player has played the game for quite a long time, and then stumbles upon this new and ridiculous thing, and be like... the hell just happened! :shock: :lol:

Battlefield hardline did that with their reload animations. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYiqk6vNa0M
Also made a thread on signs so you didn't have to.

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:22 am

That would be cool! But i believe it should be graphical only, no magic ultra powerful instance of that weapon.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:35 am

A dubstep rocket?

:P

That would make a good joke for a turbo though. 1st place is pootling along minding their own business when all of a sudden the car in 2nd flies past with loud D&B coming out of their jet trails (( the idea is taking the piss out of all these British teenagers who drive around in stupid cars really fast whilst playing loud music :P ))

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:42 pm

KazzyMac wrote:A dubstep rocket?

That would make a good joke for a turbo though. 1st place is pootling along minding their own business when all of a sudden the car in 2nd flies past with loud D&B coming out of their jet trails (( the idea is taking the piss out of all these British teenagers who drive around in stupid cars really fast whilst playing loud music :P ))

It's not just British teenagers. It's any teenagers with a sh*tty sound system in their mom's car. I like the idea of a super rare boost that has a really loud beat and sounds like the teenagers blasting music. Should sound similar to this

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:51 pm

yellowquiet wrote:
KazzyMac wrote:A dubstep rocket?

It's not just British teenagers. It's any teenagers with a sh*tty sound system in their mom's car. I like the idea of a super rare boost that has a really loud beat and sounds like the teenagers blasting music. Should sound similar to this

Yes, exactly like that. XD

Reminds me of a neighbour I used to have, actually. I'm having 'Nam flashbacks. :P

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:55 am

I'd just love for the leader missile to work how it did in stage II. I want to go past circle back and hit you head on. It was so satisfying to use.
"Hollow the leader"

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:57 am

NecroWolf12 wrote:I'd just love for the leader missile to work how it did in stage II. I want to go past circle back and hit you head on. It was so satisfying to use.

I think that's what it's going to be like, given the description of the weapons on the Kickstarter. :P

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:30 am

KazzyMac wrote:I think that's what it's going to be like, given the description of the weapons on the Kickstarter. :P

That's great. That's probably my biggest feature request for this. I'd be happy with literally anything else they do for it.
"Hollow the leader"

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Well it looks like Chris has already been busy regarding weapon designs. What do people think from the basic outline on the Kickstarter page?

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/004/297/719/29abe17678ed1543d7b4748e444266ae_original.jpg?v=1439296735&w=680&fit=max&auto=format&q=92&s=9c47d8d5be854f7ad80192f23f51bb69

Just like the vehicle design, i really like the military / heavy bodied feel behind the weapon designs.

Leader missile's structure is... interesting. :P

I'm not sure what i think of the shield and how it functions. The texture of it looks really cool when in use, but it does seem to be quite dominant on your field of view when racing, and only covers the back of the car.... hmmm...

https://i.imgur.com/tWPShih.webm

By the looks of things, missiles won't be colour coded. They all look like they will have more realistic thrust and smoke trails of missiles, but i could be wrong.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:18 am

I'm pretty sure that they aren't color-coded yet because it's a rough proof-of-concept and they haven't had time to fine-tune the graphics. It would be pretty silly to not be able to tell weapons apart by their contrails, so I'm confident that at a later point we'll have some sort of colour differentiation.

... I demand the same on the cars too...

Ontopic: On the topic of the weapons themselves, the ideas made me drool. Disappointed there's no ice-sheet-esque weapon (it's probably a pain to implement or just not implemented yet). I agree that the Aegis is too ... eye-catching. Perhaps it's the closeness of the camera to the cars (maybe with different camera angles it won't be such an issue), but perhaps that can be fixed by making it a little more transparent (at least on the player car, it doesn't matter too much on other cars).

Also those Stingers. Mmm-hmm. ;)

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:37 am

I like the realistic smoke trails of the missiles. Perhaps the colours could be subtle differences in the tint of the smoke. (I.E like smoke grenades have tinted colours, but make the trails not quite as vivid in colour as coloured smoke grenades).

I'm still not sure what Driller Missiles will be like in Grip. Will they be just multiple Targeting Missiles, or are they going to be distinct like in the original Rollcage with a sharp colour and obscure rotating pattern?

With the addition of the Rail Gun being a weapon which can blast multiple cars in a line in front of you, it makes the Driller Missile less purposeful, despite being the most liked weapon wanted in the game.

Obviously it still has the benefit of following the course of curves of a track, which is beneficial for certain areas of a race, and potentially in Arena mode if it is added... but meh... i feel like something needs to be added to the Driller Missile to give it a distinct use / reason.

Due to the EMP weapon, i couldn't care about Ice Sheets. It would feel out of place IMO, and EMP seems to do the same kinda thing but fits better with the other weapons.

Every weapon i wanted in the game, but one, is in the game. And any weapon i didn't want in the game isn't. So i am happy with the decision!

The one weapon i was disappointed not being in the Kickstarter rooster... well look at my Username! :P

I'm still clinging on to the hope i can change Chris mind and get it added to the game. There are so many missiles and blast-type weapons, the 'Tazer Ram' adds a unique aspect being a great upfront weapon. It's always satisfying to be able to drive into someone and send them flying off course. It has a very unique use. It adds variety to otherwise explosion-based, long range weaponry. Please add this Chris, please! It would look so good with modern graphics. Like a neon dark blue plasma ring or something. Imagine that glowing during night races. Man, it would be awesome!
Last edited by Tazeram on Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:06 am, edited 7 times in total.

Moo

Postby Moo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:25 am

Don't worry Tazer, GRIP is st'ill far from being complete. You might get your namesake soon! :P
sus

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:22 am

I thought the Pulse Push was basically the Tazer? (albeit a timed one)?

Moo

Postby Moo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:47 am

KazzyMac wrote:I thought the Pulse Push was basically the Tazer? (albeit a timed one)?

Nah, it sounds more like the Radius Bomb to me.
sus

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”