Lets talk about the Leader Missile

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Lets talk about the Leader Missile

Postby Queadah » Fri May 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Skid wrote:You could always just cheat and have the missile fire in reverse to start with.
My thought exactly. Dunno if that would be desirable but one advantage is :

• you can get rid of a leader missile from your pickup slot while being 1st, it would only hit you after 1 lap provided you're still first ;) (after you, Gentlemen !!)

One possible gameplay to test ? (I'd totally launch 2 assassins while in 1st to booby trap the leader position lol )

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun May 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Skid wrote:You could always just cheat and have the missile fire in reverse to start with, pop it out the front of the car, give it a quick burst of vertical speed to get it above the car that fired it, then fire it's rocket and zoom around the track in reverse. Would mean you could avoid it by taking short cuts after it's started on the main route if that makes sense, not sure if that's a good idea though.

To me this is pretty bland. I'd much rather watch it fly down the track in front of me.

Rob has every intention of making the missile go past the 1st car and turn around to actually hit it. Just a matter of time. Won't be easy though as it needs to look more realistic than just doing a 180 on the spot
Game Director
GRIP

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sun May 29, 2016 3:06 pm

Cant the missile just fly in front of the car and then slow and drop down?

omegalucas

Postby omegalucas » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Rob has every intention of making the missile go past the 1st car and turn around to actually hit it. Just a matter of time. Won't be easy though as it needs to look more realistic than just doing a 180 on the spot

How about some kind of a second engine that fires backwards the moment the missile passes over the leader? Or a second missile inside the first that fires off in the opposite direction. Though this wouldn't be very realistic physics-wise...

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:22 am

What about cluster warheads? The missile fly past you, then with an explosion it splits into a bunch of fast minirockets, which fly exactly in your face. The warhead, upon explosion could open up like flower petals, so the minirockets just have to do a turnaround from the front of the assasin. Since there are more bombs than one, the chance of hitting the designated target off it's course is bigger, surefire way of punishment : D

A bit like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0giK-zqrAKI

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:08 pm

You mean... like this:

Overkill much bro ? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dunno... I do feel nostalgic of the RC1 leader missile (that comes back at you after a turn)... that you had a chance to counter ^^

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:19 pm

Exactly, but on a smaller scale ofc. That turnaround, for me at least, was just plain weird in Rollcage. It would be okay if the missile took a turnaround trajectory (as i think Rob trying to make it), but it would need a lot of space i guess, so how would it work out in tunnels, like Yuri Industrial's?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:31 pm

Weird in RC ? Perhaps... but there's one element I think other solutions don't offer:
  • it feels personal :twisted:
Man, that missile passes you, taunts you, then turn around just to quick your ass ? I know I cursed right and left everytime I got hit X)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:14 pm

Yea I think we're sticking with the assassin as a missile, and not some kind of mine or bomb laying projectile. It's just a matter of making it work well and look/feel cool
Game Director
GRIP

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:48 pm

How about the missile having two jet "engines" in it. One main, and the second deploys only at the moment of doing the 180, meaning it's at the opposite side of the main thrusting one. You could go about explaining that this second one is a much more powerful but eats the remaining amount of fuel left for it.

That way the 180 could be done almost immediately (as in the missile doesn't have to turn at all), would have an amazing VFX (whenever a jet engine starts it always looks cool) and have something that is at least "realist-ish". A very short moment of "hanging", as in slowing down and picking up the speed would add to the whole drama. Possibly could feel like a taunt, so it would add even more "personal" feeling to it :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Or it could just power off the jet thrust, flip backwards and boot up again.

Don't worry guys, Rob will figure this one out in a matter of time
Game Director
GRIP

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:08 am

Do you guys going to change the missile model in the future, and can you share us how it will look like?
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:40 pm

I was racing in Alhatra wastes when a leader missile locked on to me. I just drove inside the small tube (the one that has 2 speed pads), and decided to stop there to take cover from the missile. I guess the missile did couple of rounds above me, because I heard it the entire time and then I got bored and drove out and it hit me. It was quite funny feeling, like quickly running in rain to find a shelter and then waiting there for the rain to end. Well only it never did end in this case, hehe.

My point is here that maybe tracks could have at least one spot like this (e.g. a small tunnel where the missile wont fly), in which you can stop to take cover from the missile. It was a fun moment.

On another thought, if you end up with the leader missile doing a turn and coming in front, you can always counter it with shield. Just make a quick turn with handbrake while the shield is equipped (I imagine that would feel a bit like dropping your pants and showing your behind to the missile, i.e. awesome :P)

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:45 am

Tathendal wrote:I was racing in Alhatra wastes when a leader missile locked on to me. I just drove inside the small tube (the one that has 2 speed pads), and decided to stop there to take cover from the missile. I guess the missile did couple of rounds above me, because I heard it the entire time and then I got bored and drove out and it hit me.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:13 pm

Tathendal wrote:On another thought, if you end up with the leader missile doing a turn and coming in front, you can always counter it with shield. Just make a quick turn with handbrake while the shield is equipped (I imagine that would feel a bit like dropping your pants and showing your behind to the missile, i.e. awesome :P)

This is cool

I dig the idea of places to hide as well. Maybe we could have volumes in the track that trigger the missile to lose navigation temporarily
Game Director
GRIP

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Hehe, yeah it'd be cool... I did it again (took cover in the small tube in Alhatra), and the assassin made 2 big rounds above me and then crashed, then I came out and continued the race, it was a great moment. Maybe the assassin doesn't want to fly inside of smaller tubes/tunnels, so you could stay in those or slow down to wait for it to pass..? That way it would "force" to slow the 1st guy down even if it didn't hit.

Also I like about the missiles that you have to be careful when to use them so they don't fly into the terrain or structures. I hope the missiles stay this way (some people disagree I know that:) It would be lame if 100% of the missiles hit

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:27 am

You'll always need to be careful when firing missiles, so they won't ever be instant or super easy to use. That said, there are still times when they hit stuff and they shouldn't
Game Director
GRIP

SpikeX

Postby SpikeX » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:39 pm

I dunno if this was implemented with the update or came accidently or even is me getting better in avoiding those blue a**holes, but with a shield on I get the idea they even give me a little boost when they hit..

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:51 am

Cybruiser57Péter wrote:Do you guys going to change the missile model in the future, and can you share us how it will look like?

There are no current plans to change the model. Why do you ask?

SpikeX wrote:I dunno if this was implemented with the update or came accidently or even is me getting better in avoiding those blue a**holes, but with a shield on I get the idea they even give me a little boost when they hit..

There's code in there to actually slow you down when hit
Game Director
GRIP

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:08 am

Chris_CE wrote:
Cybruiser57Péter wrote:Do you guys going to change the missile model in the future, and can you share us how it will look like?

There are no current plans to change the model. Why do you ask?

Well... to be honest I don't even know how the current model looks like (is it look different from the scorpion missile?) and it's hard to see the model.

In the original (RC1&2) game you can see difference between the normal and leader missile by look at there model, in here the only difference I see is the trails they left (blue for assassin and normal for the scorpion).
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”