"Perfect Lap" Mechanic

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

"Perfect Lap" Mechanic

Postby Yrch » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:48 pm

I think it fits here most because its about weapons...sort of...

RC had the Perfect Lap mechanic that gave you 2 random weapons when driving a full lap without crashing and other factors.
I liked that mechanic because it encouraged clean driving and when being last place you got that extra weapons to keep up.

I think the Perfect Lap should at least be worth a callout for the player, be it a visual clue or an audio shoutout, just for that little extra *oomph* to pound yourself on the chest and show the game who's boss 8-)

Tazeram

Re: "Perfect Lap" Mechanic

Postby Tazeram » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:04 pm

For some reason, i never liked it. I thought weapons and power ups should be collected from Pick Ups only, but i guess it doesn't matter much to me either way.

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:53 am

I needed a long time to figure out why i got somethimes items on the finish line :D (actually rc isnt the best explained game --> try and error)
But its a nice added bonus for good driving.
Actually i already thought about an animation from the anime Initial D (great street racing anime) that could suit the perfect lap bonus (or the best lap time)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8WPU0zBqXg&t=1m15s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7iR9KfzoI8&t=0m56s
I dont think this will get in the game but i would love to see it :D (maybe i need to ask some mod creator later ^-^)

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:02 am

In Rollcage, on tracks like Superbowl or Skid Pan, the perfect lap is almost the only way to get pick ups. If you screw up for one turn, well you don't get these 2 pickups then, which makes it essential to not screw up in your lap.

I don't know if that's good or bad. I like this mechanism, but I wouldn't mind if it is left out.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:48 pm

Not sure I like the leader of the race getting free pick-ups (let's face it, the leader will be the one getting perfect laps most of the time)
Game Director
GRIP

nakano

Postby nakano » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:39 am

I think having a shield helped getting the perfect lap (which is fine). Overall I like the feature. I personally wouldn't have anything against the 1st player getting weapons for a perfect lap either. There could of course be a checkbox option to prevent this or perhaps your position effects on the likelyhood of getting the better weapons like turbo.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Sure, it could be an option in the menu.

Just seems like it could be imbalanced pretty easily. Testing ;)
Game Director
GRIP

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:20 pm

How about that the perfect lap gives every player exept the first items? So the the first wont get an easy advantage and especially the very last can keep up a bit better. Or you could balance it a bit with reducing the number of items you get, if it has a too big impact.
But i like this game mechanic on tracks with only a few pick ups. Then its even more critical to stay unharmed. (still it should be just a small bonus)

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Tiakh wrote:How about that the perfect lap gives every player exept the first items? So the the first wont get an easy advantage and especially the very last can keep up a bit better. Or you could balance it a bit with reducing the number of items you get, if it has a too big impact.
But i like this game mechanic on tracks with only a few pick ups. Then its even more critical to stay unharmed. (still it should be just a small bonus)

Giving no.2 and so on items means that, if there is any close racing, no.1 might brake and take advantage of the perfect lap to get ahead again. I would be driving perfectly to gain an advantage in distance, while the others get the weapons to completely nullify that advantage I have... (EDIT: looking at this now, this is basically what happens in every Rollcage game, even without the Perfect Lap bonus)

At one hand, that would be like Mario Kart having the backmarkers getting the better items (and somewhat fair, making keeping the lead a lot more challenging). On the other hand, it means no one might want to be in the lead until the last lap...and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing (it adds a lot more action and insane mayhem, I give you that).

I personally would like to turn the option on or off, or just remove it altogether. It added a lot of fun stuff in Rollcage, but looking at the first of the spiritual predecessors, the only track at which you were likely to get the bonus and really got a proper benefit out of it, was Skid Pan (due to its length and the sort of 'lack' of item pickups).
And the Dutch said: "Wees zuinig", and thus, somewhat later, we had the moneyz.

Moo

Postby Moo » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:43 am

Honestly, I'm fine with the perfect lap mechanic as is. I don't think anything about it should be change.
sus

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:21 am

Perfect lap worked beautifully in rollcage and it never really felt like a sure thing because of the skill required to earn. It never felt cheap - though I see the implications would be different in online multi. If the devs can balance it I think it would be a nice addition. Even as an option.

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”