So far there has been little talk about one of the most important power-up - the Aegis Shield!
The website states:
High Energy, initialy facing rear shield that can be directed to negate weapon impact.
Okay first of all, the looks:
That design showed in the trailer? If the devs keep the idea of a directional shield DON'T CHANGE IT!
I really love the design and the animation, how it pops up behind your car and the animation of these little cubes glowing and stuff, brilliant!
Okay this is how i would imagine how this shield works based on the info we got so far:
When you activate the Aegis it will pop up behind your car. After the shield is fully unfolded the player is able to move the shield around freely in a 360° arc around his vehicle using the right analogue stick to block attacks from any angel. the player is able to "lock" the shield on a certain side of the vehicle (back, front, left, right) anytime he wants, but can also move it to a South-West or North-East position by holding the stick to block attacks while cornering.
the fact that the shield isnt full body anymore removes the "saftey net" function seen in other games where you dont have to care about anything as long as your shield is up. this could lead to situations where you have to decied how to use it.
do i want to put the shield in front to make it through this rubble without spinning, but risking getting shot from behind?
do i want to use it as a ram and damage it?
i think you guys know what i mean
about the shield strength:
i think the shield should pretty much behave like it did in RC. the shield has a given amount of "Hitpoints" and different weapons and collisions/shockwaves reduce these until its gone. also the shield should allow you to plow through obstacles, rubble and other vehciles with the risk of loosing it.
okay now with a bunch of new toys in GRIP lets talk about what each weapon does.
- Scorpion Missile: Kills the Shield when hit
- Gattler: Damages it, a full magazine should be enough to kill the shield AND hit the vehicle afterwards
- Railgun: behaves normal, basicly ignoring the shield completley.
- Quaker: removes the shield when its directed towards it, else the car gets the full impact and shield gets damaged from the Explosion
- Assassin: Kills the shield
- Stingers: Damage the shield on impact and when they explode.
- Pulse Push: When directed towards the push it absorbs the shockwave and gets destroyed.
- EMP: shuts down the shield for a few seconds, leaving the vehicle open for attacks before rebooting.
- Aegis: when two vehicles with an Aegis directed twords each other collide, both should get damaged depending on the force of impact.
no matter how healthy the shield, the vehicle with the higher weight/body strenght should still be able to push the lighter vehicle
but with lower force.
i really love the idea around a directional, player controlled shield as it (as said before) removes the "saftey net" function and keeps you on your toes all the time.
please tell me what you think and post your own thoughts and ideas about the Aegis!