[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
Aegis Shield - Page 2 - GRIP Video Game Forum

Aegis Shield

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Aegis Shield

Postby Queadah » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:42 am

playabot
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby playabot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:08 am

Dudes, I like the shields persistence and keeping that weapon slot clear - its not really op when everyone has the chance to pick up a shield. I think that removing this would lessen strategic possibilities available to players...

At most make the shield have a max time limit that can be upgraded - but keep the slot clear imo.

Additionally, to ad to shield functionality, I would like to see the devs play with the idea of timing the activation of your shield to deflect missiles i.e. missile incoming, warnings beeping, impact imminent, activate shield and the missile is deflected, the driver left with an active shield. If you want to play it safe, activate early and lose the shield in the impact. If you mistime it, you wear it.

Ad a bit of nuance to things.

twisted

Postby twisted » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:56 am

Last edited by twisted on Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

playabot

Postby playabot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:09 pm

I stand by my comments man, the shield may be the only persistent weapon in the game but it is largely the only counter to the majority of the other strictly offensive weapons.

Set and forget works for me. Regardless, one missile strike will remove the 'privilege'. The second will own you.

The argument re 'i get to hold more weapons then other players at a particular time', may also be redundant, often there is time enough to use a weapon between pickup locations and fundamentally one slot will do - not that that's my argument. I would be concerned if suddenly I found myself carrying three shields but that never happens. And man, while you're collecting weapons the rest of the field isn't static, they're collecting weapons too and may well end up with an active shield and two full slots.

I'm not against the potential to absorb weapons to recover health or boost. Not against a switchable shield ether as a counter to mines (and the eventual inclusion of the reversing leader missile ;)) But I'm very comfortable with shield persistence and the two slots. No sacred cows I get it and I'm happy to play with anything (it will be balanced in the end).

I wouldn't be adverse to an upgrade path for the weapon that eventually results in it being more persistent, have a deflection function, switch function...

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:38 am

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:10 am

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:31 pm

I also like Twisted's notes on the shield. Takes a slot, can switch back n forth by tap (or slight hold), then hold to drop.

I do like the idea of the player needing to initiate it for protection though, perhaps it can be:

Tap input = initiate for 4 seconds
Hold input (1.5 sec) = switch to opposite end and initiate for 4 seconds
Hold input (3 seconds) = ditch shield and clear inventory spot
Game Director

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:23 am

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:41 pm

There's just not much reason to have a shield on the front outside of Arena mode right now, so it would be weird to implement it this way soon, if at all. We shall see
Game Director

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 am

fenixblue

Postby fenixblue » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:48 am

The Aegis Shield is the most boring part of the game, and that's always been true for the majority of racers that have them but what if we spice it up a bit? Dropping the shield with holding input, well doesnt holding input already take up the charge ability?

My 2c
How about dropping the shield as a defensive obstacle like mines? Have the shield itself become a deployable wall, that could be destroyed or smashed through for a reduction in speed or take a hit to the hull. The trade off would be it deployed shields won't stop aerial attacks like Scorpions and it would time-out so you don't have shield walls everywhere. Could bring more interest to both leading and following with strategic risk/reward placement and people not so eager to waste pickups that could destroy the shield-obsticle.

Just use the classic input for defensive measures, holding down while using the shield.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:20 pm

fenixblue

Postby fenixblue » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”