[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
The Quaker - GRIP Video Game Forum

The Quaker

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Quaker

Postby Yrch » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Okay this one can be interesting as it is a more defensive weapon and good placing can really ruin someones day :>

The main question im asking myself is, should the Quaker be active the moment you place it or should it have a certain activation time after it's placed.

- The "instant" version would make it very scary for someone behind you and makes tailing someone very risky wich is a fun psycholocial way of play.
- The timed version would allow racing closer together and give tailing players a small timewindow to avoid getting hit by it.

another interesting thing is how the Quaker should work with other weapons.
Do explosions trigger it (chainreaction), can it be destroyed by Pulse Push, Stingers or even manually targeted by Scorps?

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: The Quaker

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Unless there are mines going right across the track, I doubt people will need to target a mine specifically with their missile. I could see the Raptor (actual name for the machine gun) being of use for that though. Similar to shooting trip mines in halflife or other games.

As for the timer, I quite like the idea of being able to drop a mine and it hit a racer pretty close behind you. Maybe a small timer could be on it, but nothing more, I'd say.
Game Director

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:03 pm

I like Chris' idea regarding the targeting and Raptor's role in the destruction of mines :)

I could see it work as a traditional mine (lies there for like 20 seconds, activates when an opponent hits it or after the timer has run out) or as Yrch described. I guess it'll mostly come down to game balancing once development of the game has progressed a bit?

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:04 am

Yeah need to see how much the timer affects gameplay. If it being immediately active seems unbalanced, we can throw a short timer on it.
Game Director

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:21 pm

You're just a voice pal.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:24 am

I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:30 pm

Yeah maybe only past 600kmph you're able to speed past a mine without getting hit. Interesting idea
Game Director

Tiakh
Early Supporter 5
Early Supporter 5

Postby Tiakh » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:34 pm

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:30 pm

+1 StickyBassline
Really nice idea to expand on the risk/reward gameplay.
Take the chance and get more out of your boost, at the risk of messing it up big time.

StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby StickyBassline » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:24 am

Exactly :D
You're just a voice pal.

zeracoa
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby zeracoa » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:11 am

I m thinking mines like in speedrunners they just slow you down if the blast is in front of you or give you speed if it's behind you. But you have to activate the mine for it to explode.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:10 pm

GRIP's pacing is a bit fast for players having to activate mines. Triggered is probably best

Will come down to testing, whether mines could be used as a speed boost. A fun idea though
Game Director

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:30 am

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:50 pm

If this goes to testing, I suggest double tapping (second tap when the item hasn't fully faded from the inventory)

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”