Suggestion: Battering Ram

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
ChaosKC

Suggestion: Battering Ram

Postby ChaosKC » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:10 am

After playing deathwatch for a while I was reminded of an item found in Rush 2049 for the N64. The same style could work here. A battering ram mounted on the front of the vehicle that allows the user to apply impact damage. The damage dealt is based of your speed. The shield could block this item without breaking it. A number of uses or timer could be set once picked up.
If at first you don't succeed... check for syntax errors! :geek:

DrDangerZone

Re: Suggestion: Battering Ram

Postby DrDangerZone » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:35 pm

Not really sure how you would conveniently explain a pickup like this within the context of the vehicle's weapons system. Currently it seems like the way it works is that you drive over the holographic pickup markers and either ammunition is teleported into your weapons or they have been unlocked temporarily for a one time use. Unless you're suggesting a battering ram that is holographic and deploys like the aegis, a battering ram by the conventional definition would mean bolting on a physical extension of the vehicle.

That said, I do enjoy a good ram. So maybe instead of a pickup, ramming could just be something vehicles can do on their own. It would be like a quick burst of thrust from the engines, enough to slam into someone your tailgating, but it's on like a 20-30sec cooldown. It wouldn't actually do damage either, but just mess up the other racer's driving. This may already be too much like what the pulse push aims to be, but I still like the idea of having some kind of offensive abilities without pickups.
give me fuel, give me fire,
'tis all I truly desire

ChaosKC

Postby ChaosKC » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:10 pm

A holographic one could work just as well. I find my self smashing into vehicles during death match and some kind of front end contact damage would be cool. It could be picked up like the other items and giving it a one time use would probably be a better idea.

As for mid-race bumper cars, I like the idea of a quick boost to push some one out of the way (or potentially used to dodge incoming items). The cool down is a great idea for it, keeps it from being spammed like the gold-mushroom in mario kart.
If at first you don't succeed... check for syntax errors! :geek:

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:12 am

how about something like this, on activation the powerup gives you a holographic rammer on front and it gives you a burst of speed similiar to how booster worked in rollcage but it doesnt give you a lasting boost effect so it couldt be used as a mini boost.
it would let you ram into people if you manage to get close enough behind them.
I dont like the idea of "skills" myself that you have all the time but have a cooldown.

DrDangerZone

Postby DrDangerZone » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Mik1 wrote:I dont like the idea of "skills" myself that you have all the time but have a cooldown.

inb4 GRIP is the world's first racing MOBA by the release date (jk CE I know you're better than that).
give me fuel, give me fire,
'tis all I truly desire

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:02 pm

I like this idea. I mean these things are going a couple hundred Km/h. You would think ramming would do some damage. A pick up that would give a small instant boost and a holographic spear would be cool. I can kinda only see it working well in arena modes for some reason.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:16 pm

I think we'd like to implement some ramming damage in arena mode anyway, so you probably wouldn't need a pickup like this
Game Director
GRIP

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:09 am

an application it might have would be to prevent your vehicle losing momentum after colliding with a car in front of you i.e. if an opponent crashes out and blocks your path - hit the ram and blast right through them! would possibly suck to be on the receiving end though!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Could work, though seems wrong to designate a power-up to it. If no one is around you then that pickup is worthless
Game Director
GRIP

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Could work, though seems wrong to designate a power-up to it. If no one is around you then that pickup is worthless

It could behave as the shield, or have time limit but not block your power-up slot after you use it. It could counter mines (you would lose it), so it wouldn't be that useless. If this is too OP, then make it so that you take some damage from the mine but the impact gets lessened significantly. Or it gets just destroyed after 1-3 impacts of regular terrain. Or it could give a very small speed boost to your top speed (like 1-3kmph), (if it is somewhat spear/pyramid/etc shaped) since of better aerodynamics, or if it is more boxy kinda thing it could slow you down just a little (nerfing or boosting based on how useful/useless it seems). Or you could shoot it off directly infront of you to knock the car it hits (maybe equivalent of a couple hits of gattler?) It would be awesome to combo it with speed boost to shove your rivals! Using gattler if you have it on could make it destroy/shoot it off as an physics object.

Or the turbo could just give you some more ramming power and you would be not effected by collision with other cars.. sorry, rigs, so much.

maniamaster
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby maniamaster » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:15 am

I totally support this powerup!

EDIT: Basically this:
https://youtu.be/LrAx8ZuCFyU?t=35s

I'm envisioning a sloped "shield" in the front, basically the thing that the genesis rig had only turnable so that it always has the shap part at the bottom. It would function like a ramp for opponents hitting it, launching them into the air. It could also "uproot" mines and fling them into the air, making them rain from above and exploding when landing for your opponents behind (screw realism in this case, the powerups have to be FUN first and foremost).

To balance it, it would have a very small active time, potentially with a mini speed boost added so you could still use the speed boost when nothing else is around.

And lets face it, other powerups so far are also utterly useless most of the time (gattler, scorpion).

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”