Harking back to firebugs... teleporting portal

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
spotter-acus

Harking back to firebugs... teleporting portal

Postby spotter-acus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:46 pm

Now I know firebugs was a different dev and they had a different attitude towards player punishment but they did have one really neat stand-out pick-up: a catch-up portal/warp.
Basically, after activation, it would be held in front of the car as it charged and grew in size. Once big enough, it would create a portal a couple of places(but never first)/a certain distance ahead from the spot it was fully charged at, propelling the car the created it and any that managed to get in before it dissipated (generally seemed to hang about for 3-5 seconds.)
It was a genuinely cool and brilliant tool to keep the race changing and exciting. Also the sound of it was fantastic.
I'd say it's something to look into, especially now we can have proper portals.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Harking back to firebugs...

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:15 pm

spotter-acus wrote:Now I know firebugs was a different dev and they had a different attitude towards player punishment but they did have one really neat stand-out pick-up: a catch-up portal/warp.
Basically, after activation, it would be held in front of the car as it charged and grew in size. Once big enough, it would create a portal a couple of places(but never first)/a certain distance ahead from the spot it was fully charged at, propelling the car the created it and any that managed to get in before it dissipated (generally seemed to hang about for 3-5 seconds.)
It was a genuinely cool and brilliant tool to keep the race changing and exciting. Also the sound of it was fantastic.

Moved your thread to the Weapons subforum, and also modified a bit the title to reflect what you suggest

Yes, this weapon originated directly from RC2. Except that in RC2, you can be first with it.

The problem with this kind of weapon is the exact same than with RC2 though. You could win a race by teleporting at the right time just before the finish line. Sure, in Firebugs you can't do that anymore, but you can come second in a similar manner. Which is basically a free second place for you who had the chance to get the teleport power-up at the right time. Oh, and it completely destroy time laps too ;p

However, it's true that being able to jump through the vortex after some time was a cool feature. I guess it would just need some tweaking. I would suggest :
  • Having a max distance limit, so that you cannot jump at more than x meters. This is to avoid the abused mechanism allowing you to basically skip an entire lap.
  • Any use of this power-up would have to automatically deny the lap time you're currently doing
  • If you're already first, you should be given a small distance boost (for ex. being propelled y meters forward, with y being relatively small), so that the power-up is not completely useless
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

omegalucas

Re: Harking back to firebugs...

Postby omegalucas » Sun May 01, 2016 6:04 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:
spotter-acus wrote:Now I know firebugs was a different dev and they had a different attitude towards player punishment but they did have one really neat stand-out pick-up: a catch-up portal/warp.

Moved your thread to the Weapons subforum, and also modified a bit the title to reflect what you suggest

Yes, this weapon originated directly from RC2. Except that in RC2, you can be first with it.

The problem with this kind of weapon is the exact same than with RC2 though. You could win a race by teleporting at the right time just before the finish line. Sure, in Firebugs you can't do that anymore, but you can come second in a similar manner. Which is basically a free second place for you who had the chance to get the teleport power-up at the right time. Oh, and it completely destroy time laps too ;p

However, it's true that being able to jump through the vortex after some time was a cool feature. I guess it would just need some tweaking. I would suggest :
  • Having a max distance limit, so that you cannot jump at more than x meters. This is to avoid the abused mechanism allowing you to basically skip an entire lap.
  • Any use of this power-up would have to automatically deny the lap time you're currently doing
  • If you're already first, you should be given a small distance boost (for ex. being propelled y meters forward, with y being relatively small), so that the power-up is not completely useless

100% agreed!

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: Harking back to firebugs... teleporting portal

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Sun May 01, 2016 12:09 pm

the problem whit this power-up is you have no clue where you end up. In RC2 it was a really big risk using it, especially when you don't know where is your opponent. Sometimes you can end up on a wall, drive off course or fly off the map "cough" Leviathan "cough" . Also when somebody else use it (+the annoying AI) it's really hard counter it, if you don't have a weapon.
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun May 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Amen Potty (those measure would tame this pick-up best).

Also agreed with Cybruiser57Péter, but if players want to take the risk to be throw somewhere in the sky on the... hehe... Leviathan map, I say why the hell not. Suits themselves.

spotter-acus

Postby spotter-acus » Tue May 03, 2016 9:36 am

Thanks.
Yeah certainly in Firebugs, they had a maximum jump distance (heck, they hay have had a maximum place jump, too - I haven't analysed it that much) but aswell, it wasn't a blue shell. You could just end up helping the people behind you and it took so long to charge up, it pretty much too you by surprise every time you jumped (note:it was a pretty rare pick-up) also, it wasn't guaranteed to put you in a nice safe spot - you could easily end up smashing into a corner because you couldn't plan for it.

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Wed May 04, 2016 6:55 am

Well if I really want to see something similar to the wormhole from RC2 or firebugs my bet is on the Lego race version (3rd green brick power up).
Last edited by Cybruiser57Péter on Thu May 05, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Science WINS again!!!

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Wed May 04, 2016 9:44 am

Cybruiser57Péter wrote:Well if I really want to see something similar to the wormhole from RC2 or firebugs my bet is on the Lego race version (3rd green brick power up).

I'm too lazy to view the entire video - could you maybe post the exact timing when that happens ?
If you go on the "share" tab, you can tick something so that you have a link with the exact timing
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Wed May 04, 2016 3:33 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:
Cybruiser57Péter wrote:Well if I really want to see something similar to the wormhole from RC2 or firebugs my bet is on the Lego race version (3rd green brick power up).

I'm too lazy to view the entire video - could you maybe post the exact timing when that happens ?
If you go on the "share" tab, you can tick something so that you have a link with the exact timing

2:30 or so. It's been a very long time since I've played Lego Racers, but I believe it just teleports you a fixed distance forward along the track.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Thu May 05, 2016 9:04 am

wantfastcars wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:

2:30 or so. It's been a very long time since I've played Lego Racers, but I believe it just teleports you a fixed distance forward along the track.

Yes I forget about that... updated.

Yeah using warp you always end up on the middle of the road in a fixed distance and not in front off your opponent, so you can always use it anytime, not just when somebody ahead of you.
Science WINS again!!!

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu May 05, 2016 10:43 pm

Cybruiser57Péter wrote:
wantfastcars wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:I'm too lazy to view the entire video - could you maybe post the exact timing when that happens ?

Yes I forget about that... updated.

Yeah using warp you always end up on the middle of the road in a fixed distance and not in front off your opponent, so you can always use it anytime, not just when somebody ahead of you.

I think the RC2/Firebugs version is funnier. If it just teleports you in the middle of the road, it's basically a "get some free meters for you" - i see the point in gaining speed, i see the point of teleporting right ahead/behind an opponent, but just teleporting forward feels odd to me (unless you are first).

But then again - if it creates a vortex that anyone can follow afterwards, it can be fun.

Side note : imagine if the vortex in RC2 never expired ? Near the end of the race the road would be full of them, would be so chaotic but so fun :p

Side note #2 : if such a weapon had to be implemented in Grip, i would really like if it had the same look as a portal of the game Portal - meaning you could view directly through it the area where you get teleported.

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Mik1 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:38 am

I think the weapon could work as a catch up weapon, so it would be handed to players in the last places more frequently and never to first - third (depending on amount of racers of course)

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”