The EMP

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: The EMP

Postby TheOnLY » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:32 am

maniamaster wrote:The main point I dislike about the EMP at the moment - apart from the effectiveness or lack thereof on the leader - is how much it disrupts the fast flow of the game. In a game that's all about speed, having something slow you down gradually feels ... disappointing.
It's never so effective that you feel you are hindered in a huge way, instead, I often get a "roll eyes" reaction because I now have to (slowly) accelerate again.
You can argue that missiles do the same job, but at least there you feel an impact - your car get's flung around and something exciting happens. With the EMP, it's just boring since you just lose speed. There's nothing to be afraid of.

Finally somebody, who thinks the same :D

The Bump:
Even if it looks cool, it makes the EMPs effectiveness even more situational.

Cornering -> Car gets bumped into the air -> car goes straight -> crash -> lost all speed and can't accelerate
or
Going straight -> Car gets bumped into the air -> nothing happens because i still go straight after landing

And since the EMP usually should come for behind you have no warning about it so i can avoid a crash by going slower. I can hear the rockets beep before they hit me, one or two hits from the machine gun don't totally throw me off either. If i know a rocket will hit me in the corner i take it slower so i don't get knocked into nowhere. With the EMP i just suddenly get bumped int the air

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: The EMP

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:31 am

Timewarp would be super cool. Unfortunately from what we can tell, it's technically not feasible (Rob's looked into it). This is why we did the EMP instead

maniamaster wrote:apart from the effectiveness or lack thereof on the leader

Not sure why so many people say this. The EMP hits the leader car for 5 seconds, which is more than any other car in the pack. It's certainly effective

TheOnLY wrote:And since the EMP usually should come for behind you have no warning about it so i can avoid a crash by going slower. I can hear the rockets beep before they hit me, one or two hits from the machine gun don't totally throw me off either. If i know a rocket will hit me in the corner i take it slower so i don't get knocked into nowhere. With the EMP i just suddenly get bumped int the air

The EMP is still very WIP, so it will have some kind of proximity warning later in time. The particle effects, balancing and everything is still being worked on
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”