A perk system for GRIP

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: A perk system for GRIP

Postby Queadah » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:56 pm

While reading an early article about GRIP (http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/ret ... out-today/), I fell on one of the early ideas of our Lord and Savior, Rob "The Messiah" Baker.

collecting salvage from around the racetrack to upgrade your car after the race

what it could entail:
  • upon car destruction (btw I pray we'll get one day the tyres to fly off screen ^^)
  • create an asset that would be dumped on the maps for players to collect
  • small "magnet" effect of the debris being collected by your car
  • players thus increase a "scrap" counter
  • reaching a certain amount, you can craft that new front or new rear!
  • scraps can also be hidden in maps to encourage exploration ;)
This elegantly gives an incentive for MP with destructible cars turned ON, as some are complaining getting killed too soon makes you wait ages to replay. Just put this element in balance so players can see the reward versus the punishment.
  • "Ok, destructible is "ON" but I get a chance to craft this piece of tech"
  • then, new parts could just alter stats in balance by adding in a characteristic what they remove to another (e.g. +1 top speed but -1 acceleration)

Tathendal

Postby Tathendal » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:03 am

Please, please, pretty please, no perks.

potterman28wxcv wrote:I was just reading this recent article from RPS about GRIP.

In particular :
RPS wrote: I also wish they had ripped up the clichéd “pickups” tradition and instead allowed players to customise their cars to use certain types of weapons – essentially encouraging “builds”, something that would add a kind of metagame to any future online play, and to give you something to tinker with between races

Lol so the RPS journalist would get rid of a "cliched pickups" and replace it with "more modernly ways cliched" system.

Queadah wrote:
collecting salvage from around the racetrack to upgrade your car after the race

what it could entail:
[list][*]upon car destruction (btw I pray we'll get one day the tyres to fly off screen ^^)
[*]create an asset that would be dumped on the maps for players to collect

+1 to this because this it what people like and want and expect all games -> better success for GRIP

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:42 pm

Tathendal wrote:Please, please, pretty please, no perks.

potterman28wxcv wrote:I was just reading this recent article from RPS about GRIP.

In particular :
RPS wrote: I also wish they had ripped up the clichéd “pickups” tradition and instead allowed players to customise their cars to use certain types of weapons – essentially encouraging “builds”, something that would add a kind of metagame to any future online play, and to give you something to tinker with between races

Lol so the RPS journalist would get rid of a "cliched pickups" and replace it with "more modernly ways cliched" system.

I have to agree with you cause things like perks, level up or whatever is great but for me it kind of got old. Give the ability for players to make "builds" will just make the game even more unbalanced and ppl will try to make the most broken build they can to win at all costs and races will be full of ppl with only one kind of car customization and in the end all devs work to add different perks will be for nothing :(

Well if they can balance stuff and make it perfect I'm all for it! But I doubt it :) Well you could have this in single player mode only so if you can't pass certain races you can basically unlock easy mode by max everything on your car! But for multiplayer I would love if it could stay as simple as possible and try to make the races more balanced and skill based so when I lose I know I suck not that I need to adhere in some meta sh*t that everyone is doing :( In games...hell!!! in everything I do I like to do my own thing not what everyone else is doing!
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:06 pm

HikikomoriGamer wrote:I have to agree with you cause things like perks, level up or whatever is great but for me it kind of got old. Give the ability for players to make "builds" will just make the game even more unbalanced and ppl will try to make the most broken build they can to win at all costs and races will be full of ppl with only one kind of car customization and in the end all devs work to add different perks will be for nothing :(

Perhaps "perk" is misused here (in this thread).

Give players many reasons to clock hours and hours on GRIP. The idea to collect exploded car debris during events to unlock "upgrades" could be one reason. No need to design UBER parts or items, variety is enough. For instance:
  • You played x event with destructible car ON
  • You reach the point where you collected Y number of wrecks
  • In car customization, with that Y amount, you can craft new parts or wait to craft others
  • you decide to craft a low requirement item e.g. a new rear: -1 top speed but +1 accel = balanced
  • you wait and craft later on a high req item, say a new front: +3 resist but -3 accel = balanced
  • You can still combine the 2 above (-1 top speed, -2 accel, +3 resist) and it's still balanced (-3 neg and +3 positive)
Variety instead of insta win sh*t.

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:13 pm

Sounds nice and it's like I said! if they can balance stuff and make it perfect I'm all for it!

BUT it sounds like one of those suggestions we make that gives too much work for devs so got to wait and see if they can do this or not.

Queadah wrote:Variety instead of insta win sh*t.

This could be some kind of slogan on the store page :) I would get interested just for reading that!
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:31 pm

The way I see a perks system working is this:

-Regardless of your placing in an event, you get something at the end of it. This could be a vehicle part, paint job, decal, perk or points/salvage to use towards car customization.

-Perks are similar to what potty mentioned, like "Scorpion missile is 5% more powerful" or "Vehicle toughness +5%". But they need to be balanced between each other and not cause annoyances

-The player can equip a limited amount of perks (maybe 3?) to each vehicle they own

I like the idea, as it creates more reason to play and unlock perks. Plus perks shouldn't be overly hard to implement, and the playing field is level as no one perk is really better than another. It's subjective and up to the player
Game Director
GRIP

XT3

Postby XT3 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 pm

Ok, while I am new and just got it. Why not do something a kin to Blur the game. What I mean is. It was and is a combat racer. So why not do something similar to it? In the game you got three slots and can pick from a pool of perks and assign ONLY ONE in the three perk slots. You could do the same thing. Like how you got speed perks, combat perks and well health I guess. All I know that is I like the idea of perks but feel that a bit of balancing the perks is needed so it does not end up like the Drift Nitrous perk exploit in Blur.

Diapolo10 wrote:At first it may seem like a perks system would be unsuitable for multiplayer, but please hear me out on this one.

While perks would normally give people an advantage over the other players, it can be countered quite easily:
  1. Make some of the more powerful perks double-edged swords; if one gives you a speed boost, make it also reduce your armour.
  2. Create a system where the perks are lost after each online race session (eg. make all races last for 4 maps, then reset after each race). The players gain money based on their score and the finishing order of the race. The money is used to purchase perks used for the next map(s).

That's also something I think that should happen. Kind of another reason why I feel like perks would and should be split into groups so they can get too OP. But I disagree with the money idea. I don't like the perks must be bought. I'd say add levels and unlock more perks as you level up.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Perks is a tricky thing. We'd really have to see if it balances properly before putting much work into it. Something to think about later in time, either way
Game Director
GRIP

XT3

Postby XT3 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:37 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Perks is a tricky thing. We'd really have to see if it balances properly before putting much work into it. Something to think about later in time, either way

I've been thinking of a lot of different perks and making them balanced. Even made some titles and icons for them. :lol: So i'll share them once I get 18 total. ^__^ All grip based in the world and I think when looking at perks they do need to be balanced. So... i'll get the list I am making and thinking about and out.

XT3

Postby XT3 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Yes this is a double post... but I couldn't get this Perk ideas out of my head so I made some Icons + How they'd work. So yeah take a look and tell me what you think if we do get Perks added later. Plus these are 16 Perk Ideas. :lol: So what sounds like it'd be worse if used. I'd love to see this idea balanced out.

Increases Nitros strength but delays Nitro’s Launch.

5% Top Speed
-5% Acceleration

2% braking power

2.5 Increase in Speed and Acceleration
5% weight reduction
-5% Defense and Health

+5% Acceleration
-5% Top Speed

-2.5% Speed, Acceleration
+5 Defense

2x AEGIS shield Strength

Immunity to EMPs
User Can’t uses EMPS themselves

+5% grip on Snow and Ice

+5% grip on Metal and Asphalt

Allows auto locking on none Auto locking offensive weapons
-5% Attack power

+20% EMP lasting Effect

+5% Metal attacks

+5% Damage with QUAKER

+5% Damage with Plasma attacks

Increases Push from Pulse Push

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:20 pm

Yeah, that's the idea ;)
Game Director
GRIP

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:59 am

Queadah wrote:Mmmh, I can see where this critics is going. I kinda like it (as long as it's not too predominant)
  • whatever the idea, it will take a hit on dev time
  • devs already had some customization in mind and I DO believe it's the easiest and most elegant way to influence car AND pickup stats along the way !
  • e.g. new front = different armor level AND weapon efficiency, different bottom = different engine (speed) AND various levels of aegis/mine efficiency, different rim = different braking action AND different EMP strengh etc...

That being said...
1. Points
Based on Potty's idea with an allocating point system.
2. Modules
Like NFS :/ or drag and drop modules in predefined slots of the car.
Whatever the idea, weilding effects, sparks and cool animation would have to be involved in a revamped menu.... with slight variations on car appearance ? (Dev time to the roof) X)
I'll try a mockup when I finish repairing my corrupt OS on my computer #FAIL

Perhaps it would be a bit convoluted, but maybe there could be a 'perk point' system for powerups and a 'modules' system for performance. Maybe the 'modules' could be based on what Queadah said the devs were working on, the bit about the diff. parts of the car giving diff. modifications to performance. Maybe some 'rare modules' could be found in difficult to reach places in tracks or something, IDK.

I've always been interested in customizing vehicles in racing videogames, and I take it VERY seriously. For instance, in ATV Offroad Fury 4, I busted out a scientific calculator and adjusted the gearbox ratios so that each gear was located on a point of a logarithmic curve. It was so effective at improving my vehicle's performance I nearly crapped myself, as I was practically unbeatable with that setup. I tested it with every vehicle I could, and every time it led to an amazing performance improvement.

And @Queadah, good luck on that corrupted OS. I know how it feels to lose a machine; my craptop that ran WinXP and only had like 1 or 2 GB of RAM got a case of corrupted OS when I repartitioned the drive. I didn't know much then and couldn't fix it because Windows wouldn't repair, but now I look back and realize all I needed was SATA drivers... SMH. :oops: Well that laptop's been disassembled and I've got a much better HP that runs Win8.1, so lose-win I guess lol
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

XT3

Postby XT3 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 am

Chris_CE wrote:Yeah, that's the idea ;)

Glad I was on the mark when it comes to the perk ideas.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:12 pm

DriftRacer14 wrote:-stuff about performance customization-

We made the decision early to avoid any parts or upgrades that affect performance, including tires. Everything is strictly cosmetic. The performance differences between cars will be determined, but it doesn't go beyond that
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”