Super Gravity Power-Up

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
harrisonosirrah

Super Gravity Power-Up

Postby harrisonosirrah » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:32 am

While playing today I had an idea for a power-up. It would apply force down on the car to make it stick to whatever surface it is driving on. This would allow you to drive around outside curves of walls without flying off, travel across rough terrain without bouncing, drive on the ceiling at lower speeds, or just make more controlled turns.

Things like this has been in other racers before. Such as Wipeout Pulse (Mag-Strips) and Mario Kart 8 (Anti-Grav). But in those cases it was part of the track and every player would do it no matter what.
This version is localized to a single vehicle. This would maybe allow you to take a different path you wouldn't have been able to, or to avoid an incoming missile by driving on the wall of an outside curve to block the incoming missile.

I realize something like this has the potential for abuse if the tracks weren't designed for it, but I think it could be interesting.

And if you're having trouble understanding what I mean, look up at the top of the Grip Forum. Looking at that picture of the cars in the tunnel, with this power-up you would be able to dive around the corner on the left wall, not just the right side.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Super Gravity Power-Up

Postby Broscar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:47 am

I like it, but it's a situational thing.
In the current track, for example, it'd be practically useless in the open section and I doubt it'd do any good at the ramp shown in the trailer.

SuperSomariDX

Postby SuperSomariDX » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:28 am

Could be like a magnetic tire powerup or something like that. But I like the idea. Imagine seeing it in multiplayer though, Another player above you with a missile that can hit you, and you not even realize where they hit you from, only to reach the top to see them sticking to the ceiling. Heh
RollCaged and ReStaged.

One insane ride that will force you to Grip onto your seat.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:01 pm

Oh my god, this is a physics nightmare. You have no idea how difficult it was to get the car to where it is now

Kind of a neat idea though, but yes, it's very situational. And situational stuff is very low on the priority list ;)
Game Director
GRIP

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Oh boy i just read this after i posted it in the other thread .. sorry

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:45 am

I also wanted to point out how awesome this kind of power-up would be on tracks like the Training Track or Daytona with lots of steep hills. You would be able to speed over them as fast as you want while everyone else is flying trough the air or slowing down.

Row

Postby Row » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:19 pm

Sounds great but I see the problem when you for example leave the tunel on its ceiling (or other surfaces)... should it kick you into the air or should it smash you on to the ground? :) Or should it work only when you have any adhession?

For better usage there could be timer for example for 5 secs and the superadhession can be active only when fire button is hold down so you can use few secs on the wall and few secs on the rough terrein on the ground for example.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Row wrote:Sounds great but I see the problem when you for example leave the tunel on its ceiling (or other surfaces)... should it kick you into the air or should it smash you on to the ground? :) Or should it work only when you have any adhession?

For better usage there could be timer for example for 5 secs and the superadhession can be active only when fire button is hold down so you can use few secs on the wall and few secs on the rough terrein on the ground for example.

.. or you could bounce between roof and ceiling, periodically inverting the local gravity.. that would be fun :P (useless, but fun)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:43 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:
Row wrote:Sounds great but I see the problem when you for example leave the tunel on its ceiling (or other surfaces)... should it kick you into the air or should it smash you on to the ground? :) Or should it work only when you have any adhession?

.. or you could bounce between roof and ceiling, periodically inverting the local gravity.. that would be fun :P (useless, but fun)

I like both ideas. But whether it's super-adhesion or supergravity the mechanics would be different. I was thinking it would be more like super-adhesion (I like that word). In situations at the top of the tunnel. If the tunnel ends with a sharp angle (90°) you fall off to the ground like normal (maybe faster than normal), but if the tunnel ends with a subtle curve you loop around to the top of the roof and have to turn around. That's why said it would be best if the tracks accounted for the power-up. Because the top-of-the-tunnel loop could be a hidden shortcut or a hilarious newbie fail.

Jello_Snake
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Jello_Snake » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:38 pm

I prefer the wipeout/mario kart mag strips myself. I'm a huuuuge fan of those.

Santeri

Postby Santeri » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:05 pm

This sounds like it could really fit the game, but something tells me it wouldn't be very easy to implement. Easily goes into my nonexistent list of best power-ups in video games if this ever happens though.

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”