TRON - jet wall weapon

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

TRON - jet wall weapon

Postby Queadah » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:19 am

I start this knowing it's most probably not suited for grip (on Capture The Flag to deny enemies perhaps), however it could be a starting point for others to have better ideas, so here is a suggestion of a Tron "light ribbon" pickup (jet wall sounds cool ^^) :

You know the principle. Applied to GRIP, the exhaust gaz would form a dense "wall" somehow (no clue how), forcing other racers to drive in a restricted space. I don't think cars should "dissolve" just like in Tron, path restriction being enough tactically for us.

Gattling gun could destroy it.
Of course, blue wall if you're under speed boost (based on timer expiration, this means the wall would be longer with a boost on), orange wall to match the normal exhaust gaz color...
Make it the lvl3 of, say, mines if too OP. Or the lvl2 of speed boost (only blue wall then).

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: TRON - jet wall weapon

Postby wantfastcars » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:55 pm

I actually really like this idea. Maybe make it so it slows down cars that drive through it, with some hand-wavy explanation that the ionized particles in the solidified exhaust trail mess with the electromagnetic suspension.

It'd have to be a weak effect (if Chris decides against the pick-up level-up route) since I could see this being extremely hard to avoid in many cases.
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 am

I really like this idea actually, though it would have to look different from the Tron light ribbon. Maybe the player can drop a section of half wheel-height wall that starts flat and quickly builds itself.

This becomes more strategic than the mine, as the person who lays the wall needs to zig zag across the track to make it effective. Hitting the wall would slow down a car considerably, but not send it spinning or anything.

Could be useful in Arena mode as well to trap players if multiple opponents have one and box them in
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:48 am

Oh, a kind of stasis wall... sounds cool

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:06 pm

I was thinking more a destructible wall that slows cars down
Game Director
GRIP

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:10 pm

How about a smoke trail that implants a "virus" in the cars computer and limits the performance of it, aka slows it down. The longer someone stays in the smoke trail, the longer the virus would maintain its duration. From here the gameplay performance can be easily adjusted to ones liking. It could also serve as a sort of a smoke screen as well, though maybe on a stacked level of the pick-up, which would increase density or something. Like I said, can be easily adjusted to ones liking.

A reasonable explanation for it would be that the smoke itself would actually be bazillions of nano machines. Name "Nano Virus" would actually fit quite well.

Possible counters for this could be a shield deployed to the front of the car or... well, maybe driller missiles when implemented, they would simply burn down the smoke while flying through it, or something. Following that, a well aimed standard missile could also do the trick (you can do some seriously epic sniping shots with the missile :D )

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:03 am

The cyber virus idea will have to be dug at some point, but I'm slightly more with Chris and the wall thing on this one

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:50 am

Why not just exhaust gases that slow cars down because most of the oxygen was already burned?

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:05 pm

'Virus'
'Deployable wall'

I'd imagine pretty much all of the cars in this game to have combustion engines ('cause of the pretty jet exhausts, which are a design REQUIREMENT).
So how about this pickup just dumps a load of sulfur hexafluoride from the back of the car? It's heavier than air, so it stays close to the ground, and it can be stored in compact tanks, so suspension of disbelief versus the deployable wall is a bit in it's favour.
The engines of the cars driving through this thick cloud sure as heck won't like that, 'causing them to slow down (or even stall, only to have them violently sputtering back to live a second later).

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:36 pm

How bout just really hot exhaust like some sort of plasma jet? Would look pretty kick ass but might not be as permanent as say virus smoke screen, a wall or sulfur.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:56 am

Just remember that particle effects are very expensive, so something like fire or gas/fog will come at a big cost
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”