Health regen. - THE solution

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Health regen. - THE solution

Postby Queadah » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:55 pm

Alright people, it's that time again. and yes I checked, we don't have a thread for that.

After some fooling around, it's safe to say when MP is released, we'll have plenty to hit people... but nothing to "repair" on the fly.
While a pickup could be a solution (lame!!), a good idea to restore health could be,
  • CE creates a small "drone" asset
  • When a player stops (or drives below x km/h), a drone comes of out nowhere near the car and repairs
  • Sparks effect + lighting (as if the drone was welding)
  • Repair amount is proportional to the time the player stops/drives below the x threshold
  • Once the car moves/drives above the x speed threshold, drone flies away
This has advantages like:
  • An injured 1st player, prone to receiving assassins, has to give up is lead to repair, thus rebalancing the game
  • A player in arena has to stay put (more vulnerable to attacks) in order to repair, which is a good trade-off
  • A player messed up by the terrain/stuck, gets the opportunity of a little health repairing while getting out of this/getting back to speed
  • It would be reminiscent of the drone in RC that helped to spawn pickup ^^

HikikomoriGamer
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Re: Health regen. - THE solution

Postby HikikomoriGamer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:01 pm

I like this idea! :)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M-D3H
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: 8GB

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Approved by potty :)

However, waiting for the car to stop, it might be too much - it would take too much time to go from 600 kph to 0.

Maybe there could be a "self-repair" mode switch instead. When it's activated, the acceleration falls down drastically, and the vehicle starts repairing.

The guy self-repairing is still impaired, but not as much as if he had to come to a full stop.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:39 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:waiting for the car to stop, it might be too much - it would take too much time to go from 600 kph to 0.

Well, I think that would kinda be the point, sacrificing something to repair, but I reckon a full stop is extreme, driving under X km/h as I said, would work too (let's say 100).

Whatever the case, I'm against a health pickup since you're dependent on its random appearance. You should be able to repair when needed... but at a cost meaningful enough so as to still feel in danger during your driving.

The drone idea is reminiscent of F1 pit stops, which are sexy AF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvu0GlMa3xQ&app=desktop
(That, or absorbing pickups for a minuscule health amount)

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:05 am

or maybe stay around 300-350 km/h to regain health with a drone as you said, we would lose speed but not too much (would depend of the speed mode ofc)
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:36 pm

I really like the random drone idea that can repair your vehicle on the fly. (No pun intended) That's a much better solution then Jeff Gordon's XS racing did back in the day with their weird morphing cars.

However, rather then limiting speed, what about something a little... different.

Drones, as we know them currently, can be programmed to do... well... just about anything. And I could easily see them being made to not only repair a racing vehicle at speed, but be able to keep up with and predict all of those vehicles movements. However, having the drone just fly in at complete random seems a little silly as these tracks can be rather long and crazy and asking these things to just tail the cars around the track just doesn't seem viable to me for a very good reason. Fuel/Battery life.

As drones go right now, they need to be light. Very light. With such a low weight requirement their just isn't a lot of room for cramming battery's into them... never-mind a portable fusion laser welder... thing... yea, I just made that up... just roll with it.

This means that they would need to be kept on a charging station of some sort to have the batteries topped up at all times for when they would be called in. This also means that depending on where you were on the track, it could potentially take a rather lengthy amount of time to reach you. This could be very bad when you are in the heat of battle right on the ragged edge of keeping your machine in one piece.

So how could we solve that problem, still have dynamic repairs with drones (cause that sounds awesome), and still limit the player in how to go about repairing his vehicle while still potentially being penalized for it? Simple... Have the drones mount to the car and have the drones have limited battery life and also be destructible.

Imagine that your car just got hit by a missile and you are in a bad way and need a repair. You are down at the very limit of what your car can take, but your drone(s) are still in good condition. While trying to catch back up you launch your drone and it starts carrying out your repairs. The battery on the drone is only good enough to repair 50% of your vehicle though. This means that the drone MUST re-dock with your vehicle so that the battery's can be recharged. Depending on which vehicle you have and what upgrades you have done to your drone (thinking that in this case they can be upgraded as well) you must now either be cautions and wait for the drone to recharge before deploying and getting the other 50% repaired, not wait for the full recharge and launch it again and get done as much as it can do depending on its charge level, or do a tactical flip and launch another drone from the other side of your vehicle, and get the other 50% repaired from that drone (depending on if your vehicle is equipped with more than one drone and how they are mounted to the vehicle.

Now this is how things can get tricky. Let's say you launched your drone from one side of your vehicle as this particular vehicle is equipped with 2 drones (one per side vertically speaking) but during the repair, your vehicle flipped over. There is now no place for your drone to land when its batteries run flat and if the situation is not dealt with soon (by either flipping the car back over or launching the second drone giving the first a place to land) that drone dies and is lost for the remainder of the race. This means that upgraded mounting points to give the drones more accessible places to land would be a must at a cost of some aerodynamics or handling... or something... perhaps drone size/battery life.

You also would have to be tactical about when to launch the drones, however, as these repairs would not be instantaneous. Reason being is that the drones can be damaged and again, taken out and destroyed. Now, we can make a safe assumption that the missiles will only lock onto the cars and not the drones as they are so much smaller, but large explosions and machine gun fire... or in the strange instance... another vehicle landing on it... could destroy that drone and also take it out of the race. This means that if your car is fairly damaged, you may want to wait till you are out in clean air to deploy your drones as the other racers will see them as a prime target. Once the drones are down... you have a very limited window to make your final run and survive.

I think this could add an awesome element to the game adding that extra little thing for you to think about. You could save weight and go for no drones hoping the increase in speed and handling will be enough to put you out in front, or you could go in armed to the teeth with 8 or 10 drones on your car and have almost instantaneous repairs allowing you to be much more aggressive with your driving style at a cost of speed and handling from weight. This would make you rely on having to take everyone out of the race by force as it would be far more difficult to keep up with the other racers. Also with the potential to being able to upgrade your drones and your vehicles as an added bonus could lead to some interesting decisions being made in how to tackle the race and what your strategy is.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:49 pm

Alrighty, in HOMAGE to the little drone fellows we had back in RC:
I do suggest this:
tadaaaa
Last edited by Queadah on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Well, Hawken does offer some very good examples for repair drone styles : )

https://youtu.be/S-kpvq0QWpU?t=131

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:34 pm

+1

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:49 pm

Also, bonus question, can any former ATD dev tell us what was written on the RC drones? ^^ (is it P-dr? Why?)

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:53 am

Well well. **Yawn** Wanted to do a photoshop real quick but writting will do.

I re-read atv_123's post above and wondered, perhaps we can divert the station idea and drop the RC hommage with drones (oh well)
  • Like a gaz station
  • have an asset that "refills" health when you're passing right next to it
  • make it difficult of access (like the left alternate path at the exit of the 1st Industrial tunnel)
Only problem is that it's static and you have to last long enough in a lap to reach it.

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Or just simply build it in the boost pads?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:56 am

Could be. That's clever. Another reason to try to get them. Maybe the electric effect can be re-implemented here if it doesn't make it in the EMP effect.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Boost pads could indeed increase health, especially now that they are blue instead of orange, a colour more associated with vitality
Game Director
GRIP

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Alrighty, here's my best shot!

• contrary to boost pads (that are on specific locations), drones could repair on demand
  • make it the lvl2 shield (lvl1 being flipable shield)
  • when drones are present, weapons target them instead of the car (a shield/decoy of sorts)
  • this means repairing isn't OP since it can be denied
RC drones making a come back with style ;)

FrostyPL

Postby FrostyPL » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Great idea, but I guess it's gonna be pain in the ass to make it work in tunnels (Yuri for example).

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:29 am

Wow, that was pretty good Queadah!

and FrostyPL, that is why I was gunning for them to be launched from the cars rather than flying in and finding the cars on the track. Tunnels would no longer be an issue (unless you fell off the ceiling and squished one... which would be rather sad and funny at the same time)

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:21 pm

atv_123 wrote:and FrostyPL, that is why I was gunning for them to be launched from the cars rather than flying in and finding the cars on the track. Tunnels would no longer be an issue (unless you fell off the ceiling and squished one... which would be rather sad and funny at the same time)

That could work :). They could be crawling on the car too instead of hovering over (though the latter might be cooler). Cue in the matrix sentinels on ships:

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:59 am

Hmm i like that idea. And if this won`t work or somthn. I`m throwing another one xD Pit lanes from Wip3out
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:27 pm

HA... pit lanes... so obvious and yet we just all kinda looked right past that one... but that is a really viable option.

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”