Power-Up Distribution modes

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
proflap

Power-Up Distribution modes

Postby proflap » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:13 am

Hello everybody,

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but:

As far as I know, from my experience, different weapons are being given to the leader and to the last one in a race.
(For example: Many many mines for the leader, Assassins and EMP for the last)
This is good. This is to give more chance to the last to catch-up. This could be named "FAIR" pickup distribution.

But, in my opinion, there could be another option, "CLASSIC" or "NORMAL" where every single pickup has the same chance to be selected regardless of the player's current standing in a race. This would mean even the leader could get Assassin(s), EMP, etc. and yeah, this would make the outcome of the race more luck based. (But hey, being the leader and having two Assassins in your arsenal is never a bad thing, right? Maybe you miss a corner and you instantly have the firepower to fight back :D )

So, there would be 2 options to choose from regarding pickups:
- "CLASSIC" or "NORMAL" (same chance for every pickup regardless of position)
- "FAIR" (current,

Just to give some more customization to games.

Thank you for your time.
With GRIP, a dream comes true.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Power-Up Distribution modes

Postby Queadah » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:14 pm

I think it's a good thing to have smart pickups (environment/position/context dependent) but I don't think this should be optional.

At some point imo, GRIP should cut CLEARLY where to stand in terms of mechanics so as to build identity.
Allowing too many option, there's chance people almost play DIFFERENT versions of GRIP, which is a big "meh".

VooDooQky

Re: Power-Up Distribution modes

Postby VooDooQky » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Yup, Queadah +1

Even the HUD damage effect on/off switch have a minimal influence on the balance.

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”