SUGGESTION: wormhole

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Sicae_LP
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

SUGGESTION: wormhole

Postby Sicae_LP » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:23 pm

There is a powerup from the original rollcage that I personally miss. And that was the one that allowed you to teleport a player behind you if you could hit them with the ring.

Wormhole- a weapon with weak homing capability that shoots forwards and sticks with the vehicle in front the player for a couple of seconds. If the opponent cannot get rid of the Wormhole in time, which can be accomplished by flipping their car upside-down, that opponent is teleported directly behind the player.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: SUGGESTION: WEAPON/POWER-UP

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:08 am

Moving this to the more general section Weapons and Power-Ups, since this is more about Grip in general than Early Access tweaks :)
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:32 am

Hell no, please no.
this was the worst powerup in the game.
the basic idea was okay but those few seconds of control you lost when actually getting ported were awefull and i dont see any way to work around this really.

Zyvoxid
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Zyvoxid » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:28 am

Some kind of boost powerup for sure
I'm combat ready!

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: SUGGESTION: weapon/power-up

Postby Queadah » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:41 pm

I have fond memories of that powerup personally :)
'Added a futuristic touch to the game back in the days, why not here?

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: SUGGESTION: wormhole

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:22 am

-1 I'm whit Yrch, it was annoying in RC and pain in the ass in Stage 2
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:49 am

Nope nope nope. Attempting to flip mid race on command sounds annoying as hell.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:16 am

+1 as long as it's the RC1 variant.
It's easy to avoid and easy to get rid of, but people still have to leave their ideal racing line to destroy it or they end up in an even worse situation (thanks for the demonstration, Yuri).

When people drive against the wall to get rid of it, but hit the wall too hard and end up spinning out of control... It's hilarious to watch and makes you feel like a glorious basterd as you race past them.
How can people not want this awesome weapon in GRIP? :p

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: SUGGESTION: weapon/power-up

Postby Yrch » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:11 am

Queadah wrote:I have fond memories of that powerup personally :)
'Added a futuristic touch to the game back in the days, why not here?

(At least in the RC1 version) it took away your control for a few seconds and this is what makes this powerup so horrible.
Of course you could just remove that and have the player keep full control over their car but this would very likley make you crash cause of the need to orient anew after the warp.

the RC2 version was okay in terms of mechanics, but ended up being to powerfull if you time it right (speak, port in front of 1st place 0.5 seconds before finishline)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:55 pm

I don't think anyone on the GRIP team is a fan of the wormhole, so we no doubt won't be implementing something like it. But, that could change down the line depending on feedback
Game Director
GRIP

Demigan

Postby Demigan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:30 pm

I liked this one, but I mainly liked the RC version where you teleported your enemy behind you rather than you towards your enemy.

Also, flipping? All I remember was ramming a wall for a tiny bit slowing down and destroying the wormhole. No need to flip. Maybe RC2 was different, can't remember, but if it's the RC version I definitely want something like that.

Damrus
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Damrus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:07 am

Chris_CE wrote:I don't think anyone on the GRIP team is a fan of the wormhole

:roll:
Obey the rules!

Grip, Art Director, IGAD student team.

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:25 am

im still kinda iffy on the whole thing as much as i liked it in the older games and how it was a help, i feel as though it would make the game easier in a way for the person left behind, and also difficult for the driver in the lead because if they come out of no where it would spin them out of control and just make a pile up of everyone else behind them :p
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

AssKickerson

Postby AssKickerson » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Hated this. Please no. I wouldn't even have fun using it on someone else.

LustVanGoth
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby LustVanGoth » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:19 pm

Demigan wrote:I liked this one, but I mainly liked the RC version where you teleported your enemy behind you rather than you towards your enemy.

Also, flipping? All I remember was ramming a wall for a tiny bit slowing down and destroying the wormhole. No need to flip. Maybe RC2 was different, can't remember, but if it's the RC version I definitely want something like that.

The same first wormhole was fine :)
Mówił trochę w każdym europejskim języku, i w każdym języku najchętniej milczał.

omegalucas

Postby omegalucas » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:23 am

How about a version that teleports you to the back of your opponent? As in, it just closes up distance, instead of appearing in front of them. I believe Modnation Racers' warp worked like this.

Falkerz
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Falkerz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:54 pm

I mean, I liked the way it gave you an opportunity to catch back up if you were far behind (keeping the action going and ensuring the carnage never stops) but it's damn annoying when an AI drops in front of you from a wormhole, on a knockout stage, on the final lap, just before the finish line, and has charged up a doubled-up radius bomb, which goes off as they port, right in your face, 6 feet from the finish line. SO much salt...

Perhaps meld a turbo, enhanced grip and driving assist into a "catchup" style weapon, where you get cornering assistance, a decent speed boost and better grip on the road for a few seconds to help you catch up (effectively a triple turbo, but more controllable than it should be at ~850km/h) yes, people might use it to boost way ahead, but assassins can take care of that, and there's always a wall nearby to crash into...
"Tired are we, the few who battle endlessly, against the never ceasing sound, of inevitability..."

omegalucas

Postby omegalucas » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:38 am

Then again, I read the poll thread on pick-ups and I'm totally sold on Chris' old idea of the (radial?) teleport that can swap around cars.

shadyx49

Postby shadyx49 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:50 am

The wormhole should be emplemented but should stay optional as it is a major game changer, infact that powerup alone summarizes the epicness of grip, let me explain to you what it does; in Rollcage Stage 2 the basic powerup teleports you in front of the opponenent that is just ahead of you, the special powerup though teleports you right in fron of the 1st opponent of the race, after the user enters the wormhole it stays open for a couple of seconds in the track for whoever sees it can enter it and teleport right in fron of its user, so as you see there more to it than it appears to be, this is probably the most complex and relatively the most rewarding powerup, it seems to me like it is the ultimate game balancer, it doesn't matter if you come first in the race you are in constant risk of losing your place, now don't get me wrong this powerup isn't about skill but something crazier than that, that's why it should stay optional, now to further develop since this powerup is so rewarding, we can make it as risky and rare to have as that, something that is not hard to find in grip, for exemple you only find it in a hard shortcut marked with a special blue color or you get it after performing a certain manover or even collect a certain amount of energy powerups to build it up witch brings weapons the extra dimention that it used to have, I'm sure devs are brilliant enough to comeup with crazy ideas like this. I still remember the feeling of adrenaline that this tool gives throughout the whole race, it was so fun to have, I invite you to play Rollcage Stage 2 and see for yourself.

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:39 pm

big fan of the wormhole :) and the electricity/ice sheet weapon from RC1 (the one that affects traction/grip) - some equivalents in GRIP would be welcome :)

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”