[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
Teleport dodge! - GRIP Video Game Forum

Teleport dodge!

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Teleport dodge!

Postby 0Blueaura » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Teleport dodge:

Evasion power-up, makes your car temporary invincible to all kinds of threat and teleport it to either left or right (distance of teleport = size of a car) If impossible to teleport, makes the car temporary invincible and does not relocate. immunity and travel time: >2 seconds

From visual point of view - either makes car all dark with some golden glowing marks (animated texture) with a white blink when teleport, or makes the car completely invisible to other players and then comes back up in a separate location

From technical side - makes the car immune to physical forces (bouncing off a rocket blast, nevermore) and then use somekind of command to push a car to left or right while blinking in and out of existance making it feel like it actually did teleport and dodge.

i think its a cool idea but maybe overpowered!
Last edited by 0Blueaura on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Teleport dodge!

Postby Queadah » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:07 pm

+1, I'd go with the variation proposed by Prometheus on his initial thread at: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2790 called "phased-out".

Both ideas are similar in the immune state except that phasing out has no teleport part (thus can be considered a lvl3 shield of sorts if pickup stacking happens). Might also be easier to implement. Having both would look duplicate.

VooDooQky
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby VooDooQky » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:07 am

I'm okay with the invisibility (more like a ghost silhouette) part of the weapon so far until the player under the effect:

- cannot be locked on
- bullets fly through the car
- mines are not triggered
- debris can be driven over (noclip)
- collision with other cars are not happening (noclip again)
- if the player is leading, assasin switches target to 2nd in line temporarily
- Air control becomes more responsive regardless of the car stats

BUT! EMP still affects and negates the effect.

I do not agree with the teleport part cuz it seems like a very possible cause of clipping issues by teleporting into track elements, by relocating the cars body half or fully into it. Solving that problem might be more complex technically than the mentioned stuff above, however i'm not sure about the debris and car collision part. Plus even if the teleport could happen, i don't see how you would benefit from it better, since you might just get confused about your new position, and screw up because of that.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:17 am

I just thought of teleportation so it can "dodge" rocket, and look cool :D

from technical side it would make the car invisible to players and user, and use a command to push car to left or right "not teleport like RESET does", so it feels like it teleports, but in fact its just being pushed, so no clipping involved.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:06 pm

Mmh... Rob will tell then.

At least, +1000 to Voo's bullet points (except perhaps the last)!!

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:43 pm

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:54 pm

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:17 am

I like the idea of a cloak. It would give you more options when facing a rocket and other weapons. Ad some tactics. Be useful during races too. But only as a cloak rather than invulnerability. Don't want it to be op but rather a tool for a specific situation :geek:

atv_123

Postby atv_123 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:34 am

I 100% agree with the cloak idea. I think it would be really useful to not give up your location so you could sneakily take the lead without anyone noticing or trying to block you ;)

I also like the idea of missiles not being able to lock on as it would not only mask your visible signature, but also your heat signature as well (I am assuming that this is how the missiles track the cars in game. However, that being said, I think that if the car comes back out of this cloak before a missile has exploded and is still in range, it should be able to pick up the car then and find its target. This way, if you saw someone go cloaked, and you know how long it lasts, you can launch a missile tactically and potentially still hit your target when their cloak runs out.

This and I also think that the "cloak" should not be visually perfect, but create some distortion in the light traveling around it. This way, there is a chance that other players could catch a glimpse of the cloaked cars location (even if they can't do anything about it) so they can start planning what they will do about it. You would need a really good eye for detail to see it at these speeds but if you were really attentive, you just might catch it. Also, if there is a slight visibility to it, it would help on the player's screen with the cloaked car so they can still see the basic shape and not accidentally clip it on something that they didn't realize they would be hitting, thus ruining the race for them.

Just a couple of thoughts.

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:03 pm

https://youtu.be/7HvpLe-2ijk?t=90

I was imagining something similar to this for the visuals.

Since the effect should be only temporary (a few seconds, like 5-10 IMO) it wouldn't be too imbalanced, even with the invulnerabilty.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: while the effect is applied, the following weapons (mainly the offensive types) should have a restriction in usage: Gattler, Scorpion, Assasin, EMP

if said weapons get used under the "ghost" effect, the cloak instantly breaks down.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:12 pm

+1, definitely!

To avoid confusion, I don't think you should be invisible to other players but I overheard the majority of testers and Chris weren't too fond of such a pickup idea anyway.

No insistin', for the record only, I'm re-posting the link concerning "scientific plausibility" viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2790#p13485 and the fact it could be a lvl3 shield stacking viewtopic.php?f=5&t=682#p14237 (totally not confirmed to happen also).

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:02 pm

Cloak is interesting. The way I'd like to see it done, as some have mentioned, is:

-Car is invisible (or close to) but not invulnerable
-You cannot be targeted by missiles, but can still be hit by Raptor and mines
-if hit by a car or weapon, the cloak flickers like it's glitching out

An issue I have with cloak though is that it would have to make the rear thrust disappear, which is really weird. But not a big deal I guess
Game Director

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:29 am

Black thrust!
(anti-matter/blackmatter/your-guess-is-as-good-as-mine)

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:41 am

shouldn't we also be able to see the dust particles the cars tyres blow up?

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:48 am

Good point. Realistically, you should. But we could just disable them for the cloak for gameplay's sake
Game Director

TheOnLY
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby TheOnLY » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:16 pm

Well, if you go for an almost invisible car, you can make it invisible, but still leave the dust in. That way the car would be hidden in between a group of cars and it would be hard to see from far away, but easy to spot from close range.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:36 pm

The dust trail is pretty noticeable from both close and far. I think it would defeat the purpose of the cloak
Game Director

Ryu Makkuro

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:15 pm

I like the idea of the cloak, but it would had to remove the position from the "race leaderboard" as well, otherwise it wouldn't serve well as the "place stealer".

Anything that adds plain out invulnerability to anything and pretty much everything is a no-no. Those things always lead to some abusable gameplay that isn't exactly fun.

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Maybe rather than a powerup that makes your car shoot to one side, a control/button could be implemented that let's you rotate all the wheels in the same direction (four wheel steering) so your vehicle can 'strafe', so long as you hold the Strafe button. This could make tactical dodging more impressive.
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II for the PS1... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Interesting idea but the tires would clip into the car body and axles. Too much hassle to make that work
Game Director

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”