Existing topic on the EMP.
Thread containing complaints about the EMP and suggestions for alternate implementations.
Feel free to suggest alternate effects and to discuss existing suggestions
Suggestions so far:
- Malfunctioning and randomly activating brakes/handbrakes.
- Reversed input controls.
- Acceleration is held 100% and braking is disabled.
- Keep it the same (but tweak the bump/range/duration).
- Cars literally stopped in place for a few seconds.
- Reduce steering effectiveness.
- Randomly perform one of multiple effects.
- Inverting acceleration/braking
- Flipping the camera upside-down.
- Immediately/constantly spamming any and every weapon you pick up.
- Have the weapons backfire on their users.
Most recent/relevant dev feedback:
- Spoiler: show
- Chris_CE wrote:Here's my take on what to do with the EMP after seeing this thread, and discussing it on Skype:
- "EMP" is now changed to "Virus", a new pickup essentially taking the EMP's place. An electromagnetic pulse pickup will no longer be in the game
- Virus, as Kmac mentioned, still disables the player's shield but can also have one of a variety of effects on your car, such as:
-Inverting left and right steering controls
-Inverting acceleration and braking inputs
-locking the accelerator, with no braking allowed
-immediately forcing the player to use the pickups in their inventory (if none, the code will not refer to this)
-flipping the camera to disorient the player
-disables traction control, so the car slips and slides (similar to the freeze power-up from rollcage)
- All cars in the race are affected by the Virus, but what happens to them and the duration of it is determined by race position
- To let the player know what the virus is doing, there will be a HUD indicator for each type of effect, plus possibly a visual effect on the car. There will also be a lead-up time before the car is effected, so the player can prepare to react
- Virus has new particle effects, and gets rid of the dome thing from the EMP effects.
I agree with others saying the EMP is dull and annoying. The biggest problem with it is that it slows people down forcefully, when a Virus pickup would keep them at speed, but possibly cause they to crash or bump into things, effectively slowing them down without directly doing it.
Slowing cars down unnaturally also creates problems for parts of track that require speed, like on SkyTrack