Need suggestions for alternate EMP implementation

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Need suggestions for alternate EMP implementation

Postby wantfastcars » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:36 pm

I like the idea of the EMP killing active pickups, but not deleting out of inventory
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

playabot

Postby playabot » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:09 am

Would it be possible to make adjustments to the EMP’s area of effect in relation to track asset/terrain density?

I know game assets have no density but if for example a wall, or mountain or other solid object could dissipate the power of the weapon it might ad to things.

So, if I fire an EMP off in a tunnel it pushes through to the entrance and exit but does not penetrate the ceiling or floor. Likewise if I enter a tunnel as someone outside it launches the EMP, I will remain unaffected by it.

So basically – the EMP range and effectiveness is slowed by solid objects allowing players to avoid the impact by entering into or ‘hiding’ behind them.

The idea of the EMP affecting lights and powerps pads is pretty cool too - even if it is only momentary so +1

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:35 am

I think the EMP is a decent WIP weapon. It can be spammed a bit which needs to be looked at - maybe if it was made a bit less effective as mentioned above (slowed by walls and stuff) and only spawned for last place once a lap or second lap max. But all in all it has a clear purpose that is easily read by the player - it's easy to understand. It deserves its place in the game.

Anyway, we're getting pretty crazy suggestions so why not one or two more...

1) EMP could knock speed boost pads out making them ineffective for a while,
2) and when hovering signs and billboards are put in the game, why not have the EMP knock them out of the sky so they come crashing down on other racers...

If the weapon has an upgrade path as suggested, and becomes mod-able, maybe the player could choose its effects from some of those mentioned in this thread?

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:18 pm

We're looking to add another power-up that's less frustrating than the EMP that helps keep the pack together, so EMP would then be a short range disabler for specific situations. Like if someone's behind you and you're targeted by their missile, blast an EMP and shut down their systems, or blast someone just in front of you near the finish (big time troll)
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”