Not really a weapon or powerup, but I thought we'd all compile ideas here to make it better.
I'm listing ideas I saw or had that I think are worth it:
- nitro doesn't auto recharge until it is depleted completely
This could indeed avoid spamming it incessantly, your stock recharge to its fullest when fully used 1st.
I agree spamming it currently takes the focus away from the race.. Also, I keep myself constantly checking the gauge, I always feel the urge to use the boost when it's full to avoid wasting boost resources. It distracts me a lot from the race.
However, I think your solution would be very counter intuitive. Sometimes it will auto recharge, sometimes it won't.. And it will encourage people to use their boost even if they don't want to, because if they don't do it they won't gain any.
Queadah wrote:nitro recharges on weapon hit
I'd reckon an amount based on "ultimate mode" points. This way with a gattler, each bullet ups your stock.
max nitro is position dependent
- Only problem with that is when you're too far behind
- when in 1st, you wouldn't hit anyone... except when backward shooting (unless we make it so it doesn't count)
I'm not fond of the idea. Whenever someone shoots you, the shooter would get extra boost ? That would be even more punishing for the victim than it is now.
The idea I like best viewtopic.php?f=21&p=18359#p18358
I flipped this every which way, and I think it makes the nitro precisely a catchup item.
Kewl. I like the new ability in spirit: an active catch up assist. Though,One scenario:
- player in last
- crawls back to 1st with full nitro gauge
- ends in 1st with it:
- UI feedback confusion ("how is the feature telling me it's gradually more helping when in last?")
- race packing potentially less effective
- nitro main use = in medium to short burst (as it requires straights/no obst)
- = leaders don't care about lower recharge rate (to a degree) since nitro is used in bursts, effectively keeping their available nitro full
- = nitro purpose self-defeated
effectiveness of nitro depending on place seems mitigated for the same reason.
- Shouldn't nitro quality remain consistent since there's no feedback telling the player how and when his nitro is getting "adjusted"?
- However nitro quantity can be altered, as a cap on nitro based on place can be presented to the player (UI feedback)
- player in last
- crawls back to 1st
- nitro gauge gets smaller (cut) with every place gained (and vice versa - more nitro when in last)
- = catch up purpose achieved WITHOUT any tweaks in varying rates and effectiveness (impossible to materialize to the player) = less balancing nightmare
Alternatively, the gauge could be scaled (instead of cut - quantity not affected) to let players know their nitro is affected based on place.
Put a cap on max nitro: the more you are on the lead, the less you have available nitro (smaller bar).
I disagree about leaders always having their bar full. Especially since they have a lower recharge rate, it will deplete more often than the others.
I really don't see where the problem is
As for making Nitro Boost gain same for everyone, but having the leader able to store a larger quantity, I don't know what's the point of it. In my opinion being able to store a larger quantity isn't going to help anyone - in the end you're supposed to use the Nitro often enough so that your Nitro bar is never full. In the few single player races i've played, my nitro bar was never (or almost) full.
- nitro recharges the same rate for everyone
Works with the cap idea above since leaders have less nitro to go with anyway
- nitro has the same effectiveness for everyone
Also works with the cap idea
It already has the same effectiveness for everyone (if i understand correctly)
Same rate for everyone i don't know. I don't see what's the harm in having those in the back recharge their bar faster. It should help them join the pack.
Queadah wrote:[*]nitro UI doesn't blink when full
It's a distraction. I work everyday with complex UI and blinking stuff are punctual reminders. Blinking red for warnings.
It worked best to have the full gauge be steady green imo.
The only gripe I have with the UI is that it's not noticeable enough. I would just delete the "reset" bar (i don't really see the use of it, since you already have the "red box" feedback), and replace it by the boost bar. It's easier to look on the top than having to look bottom right.
Queadah wrote:I'm not a fan of using nitro only in one go/that it should all go with one press of the button.
Choosing to use it in small bursts should be possible, like right now.
On the contrary, I'd like to have it all go with one button press. It would act a bit like Rollcage Stage 2's boost - helping you to accelerate over a short period of time.
On a side note, right now I don't think the Boost is helping beginners at all - a bit like Catchup, it encourages them to go faster, only to crash at the next turn. On the hands of an experienced player, it will help him though.
Also right now all my focus is drained by the management of the Turbo bar. I never know how much I have left and i have to let my eyes off the road to see it, but also there's the fact that at times i will use Boost even if i don't want to, because i don't want boost to be wasted.
I think it would be more interesting if you would gain an acceleration/speed advantage as long as your nitro bar is full
. It would encourage keeping it full, thus discouraging spamming it - and that way, people would only use the boost when they really need it (not just to increase their "boost efficiency")
Another idea would be to have it work like a mini-Firestorm on single-press, something like what Ignition had : https://youtu.be/f2lajsZt4Hg?t=1m8s
(it's the yellow bar on the right - whenever it's full, you have a "tick" sound that lets you know it's full, and you press a single button one time to release it. In GRIP, it could give you an effect of a mini-Firestorm)