Poll: What kinds of pick-ups would you like to see in Grip?

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here

What kind of additional weapons and power-ups would you like to see in Grip?

Energy rifle/rail gun - (line of energy blasts cars away harder than any other weapon. Tough to aim, though)
19%
Plasma cannon - (shoots orbs of energy that are slow and easy to avoid, but pack a big punch)
7%
Pulse Push - (a wave of energy shoots out in a sphere around your car, knocking any enemies in the radius away from you)
19%
EMP - (very temporarily disables the engines of cars in it's affected radius around you)
9%
Snare - (latches onto a car in front of you, either pulling them to you, or you to them, allowing you to slow them down or pass them)
10%
Orbital strike - (fires beams of death down from above ahead of your position. Cars can avoid them if observant)
14%
Spiral rockets - (shoots multiple rockets in a sprialing formation directly in front of the car. Do not have targeting abilities)
23%

Total votes: 463

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Poll: What kinds of pick-ups would you like to see in Grip?

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:28 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Confirmed weapons that will be in the game are:

Targeting Missiles (1-3 deployed, depending on upgrade) (already in the game)

Mines (deployed behind the car - pack a nice punch) (already in the game)

Machine Gun (single or double barrel, depending on upgrade) (already in the game)

Leader Rocket (targets the car currently in first)

Confirmed Power-ups are:

Shield (rear and front facing, depending on upgrades) (already in the game)

Turbo boost (mega speed boost) (already in the game)

I didn't put time warp as a poll option because it's unsure if it's possible within Unreal engine (moving normal speed while everything else is slow). We'd like to implement it, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Game Director
GRIP

SuperSomariDX

Re: Poll: What kinds of pick-ups would you like to see in Grip?

Postby SuperSomariDX » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:06 pm

Any plans to bring back that Launch ring powerup from Stage 2?

I loved using that. Maybe Put a puslating color changing glow around your vehicle that can bump other vehicles out of the way upon collision, while the upgraded variant can be the rings, or you can have a little fun and make them spinning stars that increase the range and knockback of the effect.
Last edited by SuperSomariDX on Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollCaged and ReStaged.

One insane ride that will force you to Grip onto your seat.

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:31 pm

There should be an option for: All of them. :X

However, I'll pick the four that the ideas of I'm the most fond of, and explain why (though my interpretation of them may be wrong).

1 -- Pulse Rush, because it sounds like it's something between a Barge (from Blur) and the close-range shockwave weapon from Stage II and the car could do with at least one 'personal space' attack to deter any wannabe rammers :P
2 -- Orbital Strike. It depends if this attacks directly in front of the car or attacks first place though? You'd have to explain, but it sounds like a strategic/skill variant of a leader missile that's dodgable but at the least going to slow down whoever's ahead of you. Sounds like Shocks from Blur too, I love dodging those.
3 - Spiral Rockets. If they're anything remotely like a driller missile, yes plz. We need at least one anti-leader missile weapon :P
4 - Plasma Cannon. Because I imagine this thing not really throwing a car in the air, more just flipping it over into a tumble. That sort of crap is fun as hell to see.

What I've noticed though is that 3 and 4 could technically do the same thing, so they may be interchangeable (a medium-velocity, straight-firing weapon that tears through everything?) Which is why I thought about giving them different properties but like I said it's just my interpretation of them, thinking about whether one weapon would have the same uses/utilities as another, seeing whether they may be worth using or not.

And as you can tell I took some inspiration from Blur. Brilliant little game. Terribly underappreciated, just like Rollcage/Stage II were. I like all the other weapons too and I can see them being utilised, but the poll says to pick 4 so I did. :P

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Dups

Postby Dups » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Just wanted to add here that when it comes to video games and their contents players would rather experience quality over quantity. I'll reference Rollcages here: RC1 doesn't have many weapns, yet they're a good and possible to master, while RC2 has tons of weapons and most of them are crap.
Also, this is a fast-paced game. Since forever developers tricked themselves into thinking that us, consumers, are literally retarded, so they make everything slow and easy (look: Rollcage 2). The timings of the weapons are very important, they can't last too long (look: u know what), nor be too short to make a difference.

Targeting Missiles
The way this weapon was handled in Rollcage 2 was horrendous. I am not a huge fan of the randomness factor that was added in the game that made the missiles go drunk, left and right as well as stacking. Deploying more than one is super overpowered in my opinion, it completely eliminates the chance of missing the targeted object/opponent, cuz if 1 aint hittin da other 7 will mrite. This weapon is a huge deal, it needs to be balance properly. Tons of games have a weapon like that, and hardly any managed to get it properly balanced.
Boosting! http://i.imgur.com/O79eaf3.png

Then again, balance is a hugely important thing. Don't make rail gun last for too long.
/╲/\( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\

Dups: who is codemonkey
Dups: dont know the guy
potterman28wxcv: yeah i don't know if i can trust him
potterman28wxcv: he says he is an old ATD dev
potterman28wxcv: like wtf is ATD ?
Dups: attention to dicks?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:33 pm

I completely agree with Dups ; each powerup needs to be balanced. But only game experience will tell I guess.. It's hard to get the proper balance at once! A proper beta testing phase could for sure help a lot to balance.

SuperSomariDX wrote:Any plans to bring back that Launch ring powerup from Stage 2?

I loved used that. Maybe Put a puslating color changing glow around your vehicle that can bump other vehicles out of the way upon collision, while the upgraded variant can be the rings, or you can have a little fun and make them spinning stars that increase the range and knockback of the effect.

This was easily the most broken powerup in Rollcage Stage 2. You could do a 3-second lap with this thing ; and as a leader, you had to constantly keep a weapon with you in case somebody teleports in front of you. And that's without mentioning the Boom Teleport technique (Teleport + rightly timed bubble explosion) ! Or even Teleport + Freeze.. Just be sure to do it when you have a shield, wait to have the upgraded version of Teleport, be at least third, wait for the race to be near the end, and it's a free win.

No, really, i would not be a fan at all of teleporting forward. Or, if you do implement something like that, put a maximum range on it ; or maybe do a kind of remix between the Rollcage 1 launch ring and the one of Rollcage Stage 2 : you teleport in front of your opponent only if you managed to hit him with the ring thing first (the delay would make you be able to anticipate it ; not like Rollcage Stage 2 where the guy just pops in front of you and f*ck you up).
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:19 pm

I'm down for all the powerups (and hope to see the Target Missile make its return in some form if possible), but I'm not sure about the following ones:

Pulse Push
"A wave of energy shoots out in a sphere around your car, knocking any enemies in the radius away from you."

I'm not sure what to expect from this. Will cars hit be launched? Will they lose control entirely, just like the Freeze powerup in Rollcage? Will they be knocked to the sides? It sounds awesome, but...I'm not sure. I need more context on this one.

EMP
"Very temporarily disables the engines of cars in it's affected radius around you."

I find this one a bit lame, as players can still continue to drive and only slow down. If players have enough speed or a Turbo powerup (if that one will exist in Grip in some form) they can easily negate this effect. And making them stop entirely (brake) would achieve the same effect as launching others by hitting them with - for example - the Spiral Rockets, minus that opponents don't get launched.

Small update: I remembered the Time Slow effect from Rollcage did exactly this, though everyone got massively slowed instead of losing drive or braking.
And the Dutch said: "Wees zuinig", and thus, somewhat later, we had the moneyz.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:23 am

I think that every weapon from stage2 should be in grip but a bit changed

Torben wrote:Pulse Push
"A wave of energy shoots out in a sphere around your car, knocking any enemies in the radius away from you."

I'm not sure what to expect from this. Will cars hit be launched? Will they lose control entirely, just like the Freeze powerup in Rollcage? Will they be knocked to the sides? It sounds awesome, but...I'm not sure. I need more context on this one.

Pulse push is a weapon from stage 2 its working like small atomic bomb xD it should be in grip as i said earlier, every weapon from stage 2 should be in this game
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:27 am

WROB3L wrote:Pulse push is a weapon from stage 2 its working like small atomic bomb xD it should be in grip as i said earlier, every weapon from stage 2 should be in this game

Ah ok, I understand. Explosion, sent flying.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:19 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:-Rant about the wormhole being stupid in RC2-

I agree, but SuperSomariDX wrote about RC2's Tazer Ram. It's like this shield around your car and if you bump into any other racer, they get thrown into the air.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:22 pm

@Torben YUP just like this https://youtu.be/g2gnC1DcG2o?t=57s :D It looks amazing in that fmv. i wonder if this could be made in grip (You know, windshield closing, and ball of energy forming then BOOM)
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:39 am

Pulse Push is essentially a burst like an explosion (except more interesting looking) that sends nearby cars flying away from you. Not too much force though or it would be overpowered.

As for missiles/rockets. Rob and I are exploring the option of having them stack if you grab the same pick-up more than once. We've done it for the missile and machine gun.
It's more a test, and the missile won't act exactly like it does now, so time will tell if it works.

Everything that's worth balancing will be balanced and everything that isn't, or can't be, will be left out. So yeah, quality over quantity.

@WROB3L: We can't just copy everything from another game :P That leads to really bad times ahead.
We'd also like to have some weapons or power-ups in Grip that are unlike anything in the RC games.
Game Director
GRIP

Stinkinmushroom
Grip Contributor
Grip Contributor

Postby Stinkinmushroom » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:28 am

Glad to see Pulse Push with so much votes, I think that can be awesome

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:58 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:-Rant about the wormhole being stupid in RC2-

Broscar wrote:I agree, but SuperSomariDX wrote about RC2's Tazer Ram. It's like this shield around your car and if you bump into any other racer, they get thrown into the air.

That might be why I didn't get the knockback stuff.. Nevermind !
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 pm

You made the shield as a two piece suit. Interesting. I was thinking about this combined with the homing missiles: are they still going to hit you from the front? Because that would make for a nice twist to your strategy: protect your back asap or wait for another shield to protect you from the next Homer? It will also make the Homer more effective at catching the leader.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Torben
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby Torben » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:17 am

I have a silly idea for a pick-up that's like Snare, but doesn't affect your car.

Cars in the area (or everyone except the user) get(s) hit by lighting, somehow making them magnetic. This effect lasts for a few seconds, but it causes cars to be somewhat pulled to each other if they are in a certain radius. This means that making corners will be more difficult, but also that you are more likely to bump into each other and lose time. It doesn't affect your driving speed unless you are directly behind or in front of someone else.

It's not really the best powerup and it can get really annoying, but I don't remember any other game having exactly this kind of powerup (if Rollcage has, then I missed it).

I'm not sure how difficult this is to produce in Unreal, considering it affects multiple factors of gravity, angle and position.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:26 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Mines (deployed behind the car - pack a nice punch) (already in the game)

Just make sure collecting mines as a weapon are not that frequent. We don't want mines scattered around the track like wildfire! :lol:

Torben wrote:Pulse Push

I'm not sure what to expect from this.

Is this not the same weapon as in Rollcage Stage 2?

That was one of the best weapons in the game!

That... and the Tazeram! ;)

Torben wrote:I remembered the Time Slow effect from Rollcage did exactly this, though everyone got massively slowed instead of losing drive or braking.

The slow time effect was cool, but a little out of place. It was a bit... magic... how they could do that, where as the other weapons were based on futuristic offensive technology.

I think an EMP would be far more fitting way to slow people near you than the timey-wimey weapon.

I know that the Timey-Wimey thing was most frequentl collected and used if you were far behind, but that is your own fault hehe. I think EMP should be a weapon you can collect at any position you're in.

potterman28wxcv wrote:No, really, i would not be a fan at all of teleporting forward.

Yeah, i agree. Both the Timey-Wimey thing and the Teleport Wormhole should not be in the game. They were both out of place with their magic abilities, and also they were both often annoying to the gameplay. Getting 2nd place right at the last stretch, because someone teleported in front of you at the finish line, when they were miles behind you before, was the worst feeling!

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:10 pm

Torben wrote:I have a silly idea for a pick-up that's like Snare, but doesn't affect your car.

Cars in the area (or everyone except the user) get(s) hit by lighting, somehow making them magnetic. This effect lasts for a few seconds, but it causes cars to be somewhat pulled to each other if they are in a certain radius. This means that making corners will be more difficult, but also that you are more likely to bump into each other and lose time. It doesn't affect your driving speed unless you are directly behind or in front of someone else.

That sounds crazy enough. I think it would disturb too much the physics indeed, and it would be very hard to manage since it would depend on everyone's positions (i mean, it would be hard to know when to fire it, as it would be hard to know how to deal with it once it's fired).

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:56 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:I think it would disturb too much the physics indeed, and it would be very hard to manage since it would depend on everyone's positions.

Yeah, i don't think weapons should be too elaborate.

When Rollcage Stage 2 introduced the Tazeram and Radius Bomb, these were very useful weapons to the game, where people could really have fun using them on their nearby opponents tactfully.

A weapon which impacts all vehicles doesn't require tactics in the same way, and i don't think it is really a fair weapon. If you're behind, you're behind! :P

LustVanGoth
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby LustVanGoth » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:51 pm

To be honest i would like to see all the weapons from RC 2 leveling the weapons give up more options in this weapons like in RC 2 will be nice :)
Mówił trochę w każdym europejskim języku, i w każdym języku najchętniej milczał.

Moo

Postby Moo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:08 pm

LustVanGoth wrote:To be honest i would like to see all the weapons from RC 2 leveling the weapons give up more options in this weapons like in RC 2 will be nice :)

Most weapons said here have a lot of inspiration from RCSII, which is great. It had some really nice ideas. :)

About the weapon charging... Wouldn't that make weapon upgrades pointless? What's the point of upgrading your weaponry in credits when you can have a powerful variant in like a lap or so?
sus

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”