Poll: What kinds of pick-ups would you like to see in Grip?

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here

What kind of additional weapons and power-ups would you like to see in Grip?

Energy rifle/rail gun - (line of energy blasts cars away harder than any other weapon. Tough to aim, though)
19%
Plasma cannon - (shoots orbs of energy that are slow and easy to avoid, but pack a big punch)
7%
Pulse Push - (a wave of energy shoots out in a sphere around your car, knocking any enemies in the radius away from you)
19%
EMP - (very temporarily disables the engines of cars in it's affected radius around you)
9%
Snare - (latches onto a car in front of you, either pulling them to you, or you to them, allowing you to slow them down or pass them)
10%
Orbital strike - (fires beams of death down from above ahead of your position. Cars can avoid them if observant)
14%
Spiral rockets - (shoots multiple rockets in a sprialing formation directly in front of the car. Do not have targeting abilities)
23%

Total votes: 463

Tazeram

Re: Poll: What kinds of pick-ups would you like to see in Grip?

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:32 pm

So are we going to have the equivalent of the 'Tazer Ram' and 'Radius Bomb' or nah? Because they were probably my favourite two weapons.

I see the option of 'Pulse Push' in the poll, and maybe it could be made to look more like a Pulse, giving it a unique identity, but i see no indication of the Tazer Ram! :(

Also, i think Plasma Cannon and Energy Rifle seem too similar. One or the other. Or an amalgamation between the two.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:47 pm

Man, you guys write a lot. Ha

Well, I'll tell ya, I like the idea of some sort of power-up in addition to the shield that helps avoid getting hit by projectiles.
Invisibility doesn't make all that much sense since you're still in the world but invisible. Collision still exists. It's kinda neat, but I think there are better options.

I was just thinking... what about a small teleport (wait) that sends you forward, back, right or left - depending on your input. I mean it only teleports you a couple car widths/lengths to the side or forward/backward. This is to avoid projectiles from the front and back, but also allows for more strategy because if you teleport to where an opponent is, they get sent to where you were, or get thrown off course or something.

This gets rid of the automatic nature of the old teleport and adds a lot more skill. You can ambush nearby opponents with this power-up. And when you're passing someone or staying right in front of them you gotta be on alert.
Plus this is another way of avoiding the leader missile in that you can not only teleport away, but teleport backwards, puttin the guy behind you in first.

There could also be a delay of .2 seconds or something attached to it as a nerf
Game Director
GRIP

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:42 am

Sounds cool! Afterall, if it's just a few car widths in radius it's not much more unavoidable than a targeted rocket. But i'd like it best if, when teleporting over another player, it was position swapping rather than send the other flying away, as it would be like ad additional rocket + boost. Way too op in that case. With that mechanics you can still be re-rickrolled by the guy you teleported if he had the same powerup.
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:03 am

Chris_CE wrote:I was just thinking... what about a small teleport (wait) that sends you forward, back, right or left - depending on your input. I mean it only teleports you a couple car widths/lengths to the side or forward/backward. This is to avoid projectiles from the front and back, but also allows for more strategy because if you teleport to where an opponent is, they get sent to where you were, or get thrown off course or something.

This gets rid of the automatic nature of the old teleport and adds a lot more skill. You can ambush nearby opponents with this power-up. And when you're passing someone or staying right in front of them you gotta be on alert.
Plus this is another way of avoiding the leader missile in that you can not only teleport away, but teleport backwards, puttin the guy behind you in first.

There could also be a delay of .2 seconds or something attached to it as a nerf

I don't really like the idea, mostly because of the extra input to give. For keyboard players it should not be much of an issue, but assuming you are racing when you fire it, gamepad players may find some trouble finding extra keys to bind to it.

Or you could replace the "fire" buttons temporarily by directions to fire the teleporter on.

As for the usability and fairness of this weapon, I guess beta testers would have to test it to have a proper idea.
I'm not very convinced, but I'm not against it neither.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:56 am

"Just teleporting" is kinda lame.
Teleporting forwards is just a mini-turbo (which can you pretty up a lot, which is fun, but in the end it's just a weaker turbo).
Teleporting backwards is useless in pretty much all cases (you don't need a teleport to evade leader missiles like that. Just ask Altair/t_n_o ;p).
Teleporting sideways gains you nothing.

Teleporting to evade weaponry could work.
Too small (distance-wise) a teleport forwards/backwards means it's useless against the minigun (continuous fire), Pulse Push (area of effect), etc and only useful for evading drillers/homing missiles.
Too big a teleport and I imagine it'll create some iffy gameplay (slamming you into a wall).
Teleporting sideways could work in open spaces, but in tunnels you're left to the mercy of the area of effect weapons again.

Teleporting to swap places would be wicked. Just imagine driving straight towards a wall/pillar/building and swapping with one of your opponents at the last millisecond.
My face when.
Big, big potential. I'm loving it already, but it needs some more fleshing out. Input, like potty mentioned, but also behaviour in tunnels and such.

I have a suggestion: the ability to fire some weapons (e.g. the driller) backwards. How does that sound?

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:05 am

Like any teleport though, it can be abused right before the finish line, and people would start saving them for the last lap and it'll become frustrating eventually. I propose about having that weapon disabled in the last 5-10 seconds before the finishline. Afterall it shouldn't be prevented completely, but at least if you are the one it's used on, it should give you the possibility to counteract, while a simple teleport like rc2 was unavoidable and basically stealing the position.
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:17 am

You're right in that regard, Unreal, but keep in mind that the teleport in RC2 was waaaaay overpowered. This one, if properly balanced, will be no stronger than saving up a homing missile in the last lap and using that against the person in front of you.

harrisonosirrah

Postby harrisonosirrah » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:26 am

Broscar wrote:Teleporting to swap places would be wicked. Just imagine driving straight towards a wall/pillar/building and swapping with one of your opponents at the last millisecond.
My face when.

Lol, made my morning.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:28 am

Broscar wrote:I have a suggestion: the ability to fire some weapons (e.g. the driller) backwards. How does that sound?

Big yes - In Rollcage I miss so much the ability to fire a driller backwards.

Remember unreal_2k7 when I used to kick you with a backward-driller in Rollcage Stage 2 ? :P
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:52 pm

8/10 would do again.

I don't like firing backwards..

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:09 pm

Broscar wrote:Teleporting sideways gains you nothing.

Teleporting to evade weaponry could work.

Just contradicted yourself Bro

The way you've described teleporting sounds automatic, and I'm not really feeling that. the way I described it takes some skill to line up your car with an adjacent car to swap.
So yeah, if you're barreling towards a wall and there's a racer next to you, if you make the right move, you'll put them facefirst into some brick and you'll be along your merry way.

If it's automatic there's not a whole lot of skill involved and it could be called for a nerf pretty quick

Broscar wrote:I have a suggestion: the ability to fire some weapons (e.g. the driller) backwards. How does that sound?

I thought about reverse machine guns.
Weapons that shoot backwards would make sense because of the back and front shield system.

Speaking of which, maybe the 1st level shield could be toggled from front to back, so depending on the situation, you can have it protect your ass or your face. And then switch it back n forth. Ass to face, ass to face. :P
Game Director
GRIP

Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:02 am

Oh, i like if it's going to be like a few car widths in four directions on the two axis parallel to the ground. If you have to line up like if you want to fire a driller, then that's cool!

RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:05 pm

How about a powerup where you get sucked to the ground better giving you better traction for a second?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:52 am

RollingGuyMaster wrote:How about a powerup where you get sucked to the ground better giving you better traction for a second?

Already being discussed here : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35&p=755#p755

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Justify
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Justify » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:06 pm

I want that beam from rollcage 2, that freezes your car above the ground in place for a few seconds. Hard to aim but it is just awesome.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:14 pm

Ah, I dunno. I feel like anything that slows the car down or brings it to a halt thats not a missile or mine or something won't sit well with the players in general
Game Director
GRIP

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:53 am

Yeah, if there is going to be a freeze-type weapon, it should be a freeze beam which makes you lose control of your car by losing friction to your tyres. :P

KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby KazzyMac » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:12 am

Tazeram wrote:Yeah, if there is going to be a freeze-type weapon, it should be a freeze beam which makes you lose control of your car by losing friction to your tyres. :P

Like that one ice-weapon in RCII that compared to the Ice Sheet from Rollcage was a complete and utter step backwards?

Ice sheet is way better :/

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:18 am

KazzyMac wrote:Like that one ice-weapon in RCII

No, more like the Stasis Beam, but instead making the vehicle either lose grip and skid, similar to the Ice weapons in RC1 or RC2, or instead, prevent your ability to steer the car due to frozen wheels, so that the vehicle travels straight forward for a short time, which will often result with them going off track or hitting something.

Either way, i put emphasis on the beam! Seems much cooler and more practical than either of the Ice weapons in Rollcage. Technically, they always looked more like lightning weapons anyways.

This weapon i propose would be more like some kind of Ice beam / Spray.

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:38 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Speaking of which, maybe the 1st level shield could be toggled from front to back, so depending on the situation, you can have it protect your ass or your face. And then switch it back n forth. Ass to face, ass to face. :P

YOU KINKY BASTARD! XD i dont really like that idea. Shield will be op because of that. Just Sayin
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”