Poll: What kinds of pick-ups would you like to see in Grip?

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here

What kind of additional weapons and power-ups would you like to see in Grip?

Energy rifle/rail gun - (line of energy blasts cars away harder than any other weapon. Tough to aim, though)
19%
Plasma cannon - (shoots orbs of energy that are slow and easy to avoid, but pack a big punch)
7%
Pulse Push - (a wave of energy shoots out in a sphere around your car, knocking any enemies in the radius away from you)
19%
EMP - (very temporarily disables the engines of cars in it's affected radius around you)
9%
Snare - (latches onto a car in front of you, either pulling them to you, or you to them, allowing you to slow them down or pass them)
10%
Orbital strike - (fires beams of death down from above ahead of your position. Cars can avoid them if observant)
14%
Spiral rockets - (shoots multiple rockets in a sprialing formation directly in front of the car. Do not have targeting abilities)
23%

Total votes: 463

Tazeram

Re: Poll: What kinds of pick-ups would you like to see in Grip?

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:01 am

WROB3L wrote:i dont really like that idea. Shield will be op because of that.

I thought the idea was that the 1st level shield would be less useful because of that, because you either have to protect one side of your car or the other, where as normal shield protect your whole car automatically.

Either way, i think i'm a party pooper to mention i don't even like the idea of having upgradable weapons that much. :?

Chris_CE wrote:Mines (deployed behind the car - pack a nice punch) (already in the game)

When will we get a sneaky peak at what these look like and the punch they pack? :P

I don't think i can see them featured in the trailer...

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:30 am

Time warp can be possible, simply slow the game and buff the user car speed so it drives as fast is if he drive normal speed while time is slowed down
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:04 am

0Blueaura wrote:Time warp can be possible, simply slow the game [...]

This is what is hard to do with Unreal Engine. "slow the game" is not that obvious to do ! And I'm sure there are cleaner ways to do this.

In Rollcage, I think that time warp just slows every other vehicle but your own. You have then the impression that time is slowing down, but actually it's just your speed being toned down a lot.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:36 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:
0Blueaura wrote:Time warp can be possible, simply slow the game [...]

This is what is hard to do with Unreal Engine. "slow the game" is not that obvious to do ! And I'm sure there are cleaner ways to do this.

In Rollcage, I think that time warp just slows every other vehicle but your own. You have then the impression that time is slowing down, but actually it's just your speed being toned down a lot.

True, I get it wrong, and I think you're right, I remember when Time warping in RC, after it ends the wheels starts to spin on ground until they grab control, just like if the engine instantly got massive boost in power.

We could make something like time warp, but instead call it global electric shock (I even imagine how could this look, big electric shock/explosion from your car covering the whole ground around the planet and disapear in the blink of an eye which makes all the cars lose grip/lose speed/lose possibilty to use power-up or anything else)
Last edited by 0Blueaura on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:07 am

The way i see it, the introduction of the 'EMP' weapon would make the 'Time Warp' weapon unnecessary, as the EMP does a similar thing in a certain radius around you. It feels more mature of a weapon, because it is 'technology-based' and understandable.

I also think it would be less annoying than having your vision altered and "awooo awooo awooo" sound going on every time someone at the back of the pack needs to catch up! :lol:

EMP can be used by any player and requires more strategy.

If we're going to have catch-up on Pick-Up selection, then people at the back can just get Turbo more likely. Seems more convenient IMO.
Last edited by Tazeram on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Tazeram wrote:I also think it would be less annoying than having your vision altered and "awooo awooo awooo" sound going on every time someone at the back of the pack needs to catch up! :lol:

The EMP could be set up so that it broadcasts the "awooo awooo awooo" sound to every car's speakers 8-)
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:32 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:[The EMP could be set up so that it broadcasts the "awooo awooo awooo" sound to every car's speakers 8-)

Please no! :lol:

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:22 pm

Time warp right now is not an option with how UE4 is acting.

An alternative is an EMP, but one that's area of effect. The way it could effect cars is to make their engines sputter (turn off and on really quick) as well as have half the steering responsiveness or some percentage less
Game Director
GRIP

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:29 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Time warp right now is not an option with how UE4 is acting.

An alternative is an EMP, but one that's area of effect. The way it could effect cars is to make their engines sputter (turn off and on really quick) as well as have half the steering responsiveness or some percentage less

EMP hasn't preformed brilliantly in the polls, but i really like this idea. It could simultaneously take the rolls of 'Time Warp' and 'Ice Sheet' in Rollcage, but in a way which requires much more tactic (like all the weapons should be) and because it is a unique idea, brings original elements to Grip.

Ria

Postby Ria » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:42 am

OK, let's talk weapons!

What Rollcage is all about, is speed. Weapons should be oriented around speed - constructive speed and destructive speed. Whatever the weapons do, speed should be involved. Destructive effects should not, must not make my car slow to a halt, or freeze it in the air (like the stage 2 stasis beam) or do anything that breaks the adrenaline rush of going fast. My dream weapons for Grip would violently throw the car away in the direction of the impact (while inducing rotation and chaos, of course). Make the missiles a double-edge sword: Highly likely to make the opponent lose control, but has just the off chance to kick them over the finish line when used unwisely. Let the victim keep some momentum, so that a skilled player has a chance of recovering without even stopping.

Where I'm trying to go here: Remove the stuff that's not fun. The worst thing in Rollcage 1 and particularly 2, is having an unwanted weapon occupy a slot. Let me eject the weapon, maybe as a mine effect, or a minor explosion, instead having to watch the chain gun fire at nothing for 10 seconds before I can pick up another TURBO or ROCKET.

I voted for the driller missile, and that alone. The others seemed un-conductive to maintaining speed and fun. EMP disables the engine? No thanks! Let the EMP cause one of my weapons to fire at random instead. Kick me, throw me, blow me up, just don't slow me. That's why I hate Mario Kart.

There's a bunch of discussion on teleporting. For me it's simple: Keep the Wormhole from Rollcage 1. It was a brilliant weapon. Having it as a semi-physical object that homed in on the car ahead of you required a little skill, and made for some great fun. You coudl dodge it by driving up walls, causing it to explode behind you, giving you a little boost. If you got captured, you couldn't instantly fire a weapon, and the car ahead would keep control of your steering for a few seconds - effectively adding a whole layer of tactics. Occasionally, the wormhole would not work at all, just explode, giving you extra speed at the cost of control. Or you could shake it off by going slow and turning. Best of all was to fire a Wormhole and a Leader Seeker simultaneously - causing a massive explosion that lifted you up and threw you ahead.

By now it should be obvious I'm a hardcore Rollcage 1 fan, so let me just suggest something new: Two different types of shield. Kinetic shield (RC2 body-hugging graphics) protects you from impacts with other cars. Energy shield (RC1 bubble graphics) protects you from weapons. Using both causes them to annihilate and creates a massive explosion. Hitting an opponent using one, while you're using the other, creates a smaller blast, throwing you apart. Never mind Radius Bomb or Pulse Push or whatever. Just do this.

Also, allow more than two Leader Seekers to be in flight simultaneously.
While we're waiting for Grip: Some Rollcage Hijinks

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:03 am

I remember in Midnight Club there was a game mode with power-ups, such as steering wheel reversed etc.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:06 am

Ria wrote:OK, let's talk weapons!

What Rollcage is all about, is speed. Weapons should be oriented around speed - constructive speed and destructive speed. Whatever the weapons do, speed should be involved. Destructive effects should not, must not make my car slow to a halt, or freeze it in the air (like the stage 2 stasis beam) or do anything that breaks the adrenaline rush of going fast. My dream weapons for Grip would violently throw the car away in the direction of the impact (while inducing rotation and chaos, of course). Make the missiles a double-edge sword: Highly likely to make the opponent lose control, but has just the off chance to kick them over the finish line when used unwisely. Let the victim keep some momentum, so that a skilled player has a chance of recovering without even stopping.

Where I'm trying to go here: Remove the stuff that's not fun. The worst thing in Rollcage 1 and particularly 2, is having an unwanted weapon occupy a slot. Let me eject the weapon, maybe as a mine effect, or a minor explosion, instead having to watch the chain gun fire at nothing for 10 seconds before I can pick up another TURBO or ROCKET.

I voted for the driller missile, and that alone. The others seemed un-conductive to maintaining speed and fun. EMP disables the engine? No thanks! Let the EMP cause one of my weapons to fire at random instead. Kick me, throw me, blow me up, just don't slow me. That's why I hate Mario Kart.

There's a bunch of discussion on teleporting. For me it's simple: Keep the Wormhole from Rollcage 1. It was a brilliant weapon. Having it as a semi-physical object that homed in on the car ahead of you required a little skill, and made for some great fun. You coudl dodge it by driving up walls, causing it to explode behind you, giving you a little boost. If you got captured, you couldn't instantly fire a weapon, and the car ahead would keep control of your steering for a few seconds - effectively adding a whole layer of tactics. Occasionally, the wormhole would not work at all, just explode, giving you extra speed at the cost of control. Or you could shake it off by going slow and turning. Best of all was to fire a Wormhole and a Leader Seeker simultaneously - causing a massive explosion that lifted you up and threw you ahead.

It's true that the Michael Bay effect of weapons gives a particular gameplay where almost every weapon can be both harmful or useful in terms of speed.

Even though only the hardcore gamers will be able to profit effectively of such "explosion boosts", it's true that there is nothing in the world close to finishing a lap half flying in "yollo" mode :P

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

nakano

Postby nakano » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:08 pm

My favorites were:
- Pulse Push if implemented similarly to Blur.
- Spiral rockets. Driller Rockets from Rollcage is one of my favorite. Pretty useful for destroying the Leader Missile too if you don't have shield for protection.
- Snare. Sounds interesting, but how about shooting one side to the opponent car and then giving a change to shoot the other side somewhere else (like to wall), would make opponent car to go that direction. Might be difficult to implement, just an idea.

Didn't vote for EMP, but something similar to Ice Sheet might be helpful. Teasing opponents to make turning more challenging.
Note in Blur mines can also be launched forwards (forward+shoot), might be worth of considering. They also have down+shoot to use turbo boost to help with turning.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:51 am

Ria wrote:Let the EMP cause one of my weapons to fire at random instead. Kick me, throw me, blow me up, just don't slow me. That's why I hate Mario Kart.

I don't agree with your distaste of 'Pulse Push', but i have to say that this might be a really good idea! but also annoying! :lol:

EMP could void any cars in a certain radius of their weapons, emptying the slots. That way, you could get away knowing they won't be able to fire a weapon at you, and you could fire another weapon at them if you have a second slot weapon.

Obviously this would only work until they reached another Pick-Up hologram thingy...

Then again, i was wondering if slowing the car down somewhat was strong enough as a weapon, so perhaps EMP could do both. :?

It doesn't really make much sense that EMP can cause the car to skid around and lose control. EMP shuts down electronics, it doesn't impact steering ability like you have ice on your wheels.

Or it could do a little bit of all three... i don't know... i just liked the idea of voiding the weapon slots somewhat... i'm not really sure what best suits EMP. Guess testing variations out would be a good idea. :P
Last edited by Tazeram on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:30 pm

Random though but what about an upgrade that turns the machine gun into a minigun. Something like this. It wont have to be long as the regular machine gun but its a very short burst of a barrage of bullets
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:34 am

You know how the cars jump when You use double boost?

I would like to share This video

I think this is a lot better idea for double nitro (maybe we will have some triple or quadro turbos :lol:) rather then a emidieate gain of speed that makes the car lose control in air, unless, You want to make it lose control, but still the "engage" like that could be very awesome

Ria

Postby Ria » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:08 am

I never got the point of the chain gun in Rollcage 2. A machine gun is a weapon implemented in games for causing small bits of damage that sum up to a large whole if directed with skill. But small bits of damage make no sense in Rollcage, where the cars are indestructible. So instead the impacts cause the car to slow down and lose handling, which doesn't really make intuitive sense (unlike a car being lifted clean off the ground when hit with an explosive missle) and is fairly frustrating to be on the receiving end of. Explosions = fun. Frustration =/= fun.

I say scrap it altogether.
While we're waiting for Grip: Some Rollcage Hijinks

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:26 pm

No way! Chain Gun is definitely one of the better weapons. You can't just have every weapon cause some kind of explosion... Chain Gun was unique in the way it impacts steering / control of the car. It was a much cooler option than previous 'Ice Sheets' in Rollcage 1 making you lose control of the vehicle.

Besides, it is already one of the three weapons already programmed in the game. I'm sure they don't want to go back on that work! :?

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Tazeram wrote:No way! Chain Gun is definitely one of the better weapons. You can't just have every weapon cause some kind of explosion...

What about a chain rocket gun ? :twisted:

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:21 pm

Ria wrote:OK, let's talk weapons!

Well, you've got the keep in mind that we're not simply copying Rollcage over here, this is a separate IP and our own game that will have it's own charms.

I'm curious as to why you only voted for driller, since the Railgun is able to give opponents speed or increase placing by accident, and the pulse push works much like the missile the way it throws cars around.
Obviously what people want for weapons is very subjective and we can't please everyone.
I do however think that being able to drop pick-ups if you don't want them is a good idea, but I don't think you should get awarded for that by having them turn into a mine or something.

nakano wrote: - Snare. Sounds interesting, but how about shooting one side to the opponent car and then giving a change to shoot the other side somewhere else (like to wall), would make opponent car to go that direction. Might be difficult to implement, just an idea.

Ha, if you can pull this off while going 500 km/h, I'll put it in, just for you :P
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”