Poll: What kinds of pick-ups would you like to see in Grip?

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here

What kind of additional weapons and power-ups would you like to see in Grip?

Energy rifle/rail gun - (line of energy blasts cars away harder than any other weapon. Tough to aim, though)
19%
Plasma cannon - (shoots orbs of energy that are slow and easy to avoid, but pack a big punch)
7%
Pulse Push - (a wave of energy shoots out in a sphere around your car, knocking any enemies in the radius away from you)
19%
EMP - (very temporarily disables the engines of cars in it's affected radius around you)
9%
Snare - (latches onto a car in front of you, either pulling them to you, or you to them, allowing you to slow them down or pass them)
10%
Orbital strike - (fires beams of death down from above ahead of your position. Cars can avoid them if observant)
14%
Spiral rockets - (shoots multiple rockets in a sprialing formation directly in front of the car. Do not have targeting abilities)
23%

Total votes: 463

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: Poll: What kinds of pick-ups would you like to see in Grip?

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:27 pm

Tazeram wrote:It doesn't really make much sense that EMP can cause the car to skid around and lose control. EMP shuts down electronics, it doesn't impact steering ability like you have ice on your wheels.

Or it could do a little bit of all three... i don't know... i just liked the idea of voiding the weapon slots somewhat... i'm not really sure what best suits EMP. Guess testing variations out would be a good idea. :P

Yeah it would take some testing, but i see no problem with having a weapon that temporarily shuts down steering and doesn't slow the car down, but doesn't allow it to accelerate. Plus there could be small forces caused by electrical shock that move the car around slightly.
Doesn't need to be realistic!

yellowquiet wrote:Random though but what about an upgrade that turns the machine gun into a minigun. Something like this. It wont have to be long as the regular machine gun but its a very short burst of a barrage of bullets

So you want the gun to sound like the biggest wet fart ever conceived? :D

The current machine gun lasts much too long. I just have it that way for cinematic recording purposes

Ria wrote:I never got the point of the chain gun in Rollcage 2. A machine gun is a weapon implemented in games for causing small bits of damage that sum up to a large whole if directed with skill. But small bits of damage make no sense in Rollcage, where the cars are indestructible. So instead the impacts cause the car to slow down and lose handling, which doesn't really make intuitive sense (unlike a car being lifted clean off the ground when hit with an explosive missle) and is fairly frustrating to be on the receiving end of. Explosions = fun. Frustration =/= fun.

I say scrap it altogether.

There are only so many weapons you can implement that throw your car into the air. Why have anything other than a missile then?
The current gun causes the opponents car to almost lose control. It's not a guaranteed thing like the rocket.
If you catch someone taking a turn and light em up, you have a better chance of sending them off course.
Plus the forces of the bullets as well as the overall amount and fire rate are all adjustable. Testing, testing, testing
Game Director
GRIP

nakano

Postby nakano » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:36 pm

Chris_CE wrote:
nakano wrote: - Snare. Sounds interesting, but how about shooting one side to the opponent car and then giving a change to shoot the other side somewhere else (like to wall), would make opponent car to go that direction. Might be difficult to implement, just an idea.

Ha, if you can pull this off while going 500 km/h, I'll put it in, just for you :P

Shouldn't be too difficult on those narrow tunnels :) It could work like this (I use term harpoon instead of snare):
- A harpoon is shot from the center of the car.
- You try to hit a car in front of you. The other half of the harpoon and rope is attached to an opponent car if you hit it.
- Then you may release the harpoon by shooting again from the center of the car. The latter half of harpoon hits some obstacle (wall, car, anything within certain pre-determined max. distance). This effects on what direction the opponent car gets a boost. If the other half happens to hit:
* An obstacle in front of the opponent's car, it gets a nice boost forward (you might have just helped him or then not as he crashes into a wall - depends a little on distance/effective range)
* An other car, the opponent crashes into other vehicle.
* Same car, no effect.
* An obstacle behind opponent's car, it gets a nice boost backwards (you succeed nicely!)

Other rules:
- You have a few seconds to shoot other half before the harpoon automatically unattach.
- If you accidentally hit an obstacle with the harpoon, better to shoot the other half before the harpoon effects on you. For example, if it gets stuck into the wall and you don't shoot the other half, you get a boost backwards when you pass the harpoon. However, you technically can shoot the first half of harpoon to a wall and the second half to an opponent car. The order is up to you.

Stage III

Postby Stage III » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:45 am

For the orbital stike there should be a limited range though. I im not so sonvinced of the idea of an EMP as one of the key points about RC is that you're always in motion. Whether driving or being blasted! The snare seems to have the same concept as the worm hole. The plasma canon idea I'm unsure but could be tested.

Jello_Snake
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby Jello_Snake » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Why no love for the snare item? Sounds awesome. Imagine snaring somebody on the ceiling when you're on the floor and you pull them down or they pull you up!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:29 pm

nakano wrote:Shouldn't be too difficult on those narrow tunnels :) It could work like this (I use term harpoon instead of snare):
- A harpoon is shot from the center of the car.
- You try to hit a car in front of you. The other half of the harpoon and rope is attached to an opponent car if you hit it.
- Then you may release the harpoon by shooting again from the center of the car. The latter half of harpoon hits some obstacle (wall, car, anything within certain pre-determined max. distance). This effects on what direction the opponent car gets a boost. If the other half happens to hit:
* An obstacle in front of the opponent's car, it gets a nice boost forward (you might have just helped him or then not as he crashes into a wall - depends a little on distance/effective range)
* An other car, the opponent crashes into other vehicle.
* Same car, no effect.
* An obstacle behind opponent's car, it gets a nice boost backwards (you succeed nicely!)

Other rules:
- You have a few seconds to shoot other half before the harpoon automatically unattach.
- If you accidentally hit an obstacle with the harpoon, better to shoot the other half before the harpoon effects on you. For example, if it gets stuck into the wall and you don't shoot the other half, you get a boost backwards when you pass the harpoon. However, you technically can shoot the first half of harpoon to a wall and the second half to an opponent car. The order is up to you.

Jello_Snake wrote:Why no love for the snare item? Sounds awesome. Imagine snaring somebody on the ceiling when you're on the floor and you pull them down or they pull you up!

Ha, all this sounds awesome but also incredibly difficult to get working properly. I think this could be a DLC type power-up if anything.
Something like this could cut pretty deep into development time and testing for balancing issues.

Like I said though, awesome.
Game Director
GRIP

hawe-me

Postby hawe-me » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:06 am

ANOTHER WEAPONS TO BE INCLUDED IN GRIP:

SMOKE SCREEN - an offensive weapon designed to confuse racers behind you. When you activate a Smoke Screen, a thick plume of smoke emanates from the rear of your vehicle, blinding racers who pass through it (user's hud & screen is hidden behind the grey clouds of smoke). The smoke remains on the track for several seconds. TIP: Ideal combination is activating a Smoke Screen and then place Mine. Upgraded version: Shock Screen which causes the same plus light electro shock to the engine.

OIL SLICK - Oil Slicks are weapons designed to hamper your opponent’s handling ability. When used, oil spews from the rear of your vehicle, creating a slippery streak on the ground behind you. Vehicles that drive over the oil lose traction and skid out of control, often into walls or other objects. TIP: place Oil sclick in turns. Upgraded version: Fire Oil Slick which causes the same plus medium to high damage (depends on how long the vehicle stays in fire).

SAUCER DRONE - Saucer Drones are offensive weapons with pretty decent stealth design. When the standard version of this weapon is launched, a saucer-shaped drone pops out from the rear of your vehicle. The drone then blindly races against traffic (half the speed of vehicles), following the ideal race line for the course. Any vehicle that rams into the Blind Drone is destroyed in the resulting explosion. Upgraded version: Homing Drone —hones in on vehicles (rather than simply following the ideal race line for the course).

(Inspired by JAK X Combat Racing (PS2 game) by Naughty Dog)
GRIP WISHLIST
:arrow: WEAPONS: Oil Slicker, Smoke Screen, Saucer Drone
:arrow: GAME MODES: Tournament/Cup Mode
:arrow: HUD SCREEN: Map, Racers Positions top 4
:arrow: VEHICLES: Characters-based or Teams (like Wipeout)

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:02 pm

I don't really see the use of those weapons considering the 'Quaker Mine' which is already in the game, which is a great weapon to use against opponents behind you. An Explosion just seem like a better idea than any 'Smoke Screen' or 'Oil Slick' personally.

mrjimp
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby mrjimp » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:58 am

Suggestion:
Flare - attracts any heat seeker missile that is close enough.

Chaff - makes any radar tracking missile loose its target and either
1: acquire another target not behind the chaff
2: turn into a dumb missile and just go straight ahead.

option: If chaff wears off before missile hits something and original targets is still trackable missile relocks on original target
alt option: Missile locks onto another target in sight.

The best game is when you can counter stuff other throw at you.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:31 am

Those weapons would be useless if you're not being targeted by a missile.
Also, the shield serves the same purpose, but it does an even better job at protecting you.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:41 pm

hawe-me wrote:ANOTHER WEAPONS TO BE INCLUDED IN GRIP:

SMOKE SCREEN - an offensive weapon designed to confuse racers behind you. When you activate a Smoke Screen, a thick plume of smoke emanates from the rear of your vehicle, blinding racers who pass through it (user's hud & screen is hidden behind the grey clouds of smoke). The smoke remains on the track for several seconds. TIP: Ideal combination is activating a Smoke Screen and then place Mine. Upgraded version: Shock Screen which causes the same plus light electro shock to the engine.

OIL SLICK - Oil Slicks are weapons designed to hamper your opponent’s handling ability. When used, oil spews from the rear of your vehicle, creating a slippery streak on the ground behind you. Vehicles that drive over the oil lose traction and skid out of control, often into walls or other objects. TIP: place Oil sclick in turns. Upgraded version: Fire Oil Slick which causes the same plus medium to high damage (depends on how long the vehicle stays in fire).

SAUCER DRONE - Saucer Drones are offensive weapons with pretty decent stealth design. When the standard version of this weapon is launched, a saucer-shaped drone pops out from the rear of your vehicle. The drone then blindly races against traffic (half the speed of vehicles), following the ideal race line for the course. Any vehicle that rams into the Blind Drone is destroyed in the resulting explosion. Upgraded version: Homing Drone —hones in on vehicles (rather than simply following the ideal race line for the course).

Combining smoke screen with mines is pretty cool, with racers just being able to vaguely see a mine through the thick smoke. It would be pretty balanced too, since whoever dropped the smoke is putting themselves in danger by allowing others to drop somewhat hidden mines.

I'm not a fan of oil slicks though. I'd say it's a frustrating mechanic more than anything

The drone is interesting because it launches behind you with momentum, but it would be hard to justify including it with the Quaker mine already implemented.

mrjimp wrote:Suggestion:

I like the idea of some kind of counter against the missile other than a shield.

Flares always look cool :D. Maybe each car could start the race with one set of flares they're able to use throughout the race, to keep things balanced. Only weapons that the flares can counter would be scorpion and assassin missiles
Game Director
GRIP

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:43 am

Chris_CE wrote:
mrjimp wrote:Suggestion:

I like the idea of some kind of counter against the missile other than a shield.

Flares always look cool :D. Maybe each car could start the race with one set of flares they're able to use throughout the race, to keep things balanced. Only weapons that the flares can counter would be scorpion and assassin missiles

You could save the flares for the last laps then. And this would become the optimal strategy very fast.

Or maybe, you start with 0 flare, but everytime you end a turn being first, you gain 1 flare.
It might be a bit too much arcade though
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Don't you think that'd put the focus on flares too much?
GRIP: That game about flares.

Tazeram

Postby Tazeram » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:49 am

Yeah, i don't think i would want to see Flares in the game unless it was a weapon.

Imagine having a shield, using it to free up a weapons space, and then using a Flare to evade an incoming homing missile, retaining your shield. Playing the super-defensive tactic! :P

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:59 pm

Yeah it would need to come down to testing
Game Director
GRIP

Zeres

Postby Zeres » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:06 am

DEPLOYABLE WALL - A small (destructable) wall that is placed in the map untill an opponent drives over it.

Imagine a small barrier that could be used in tricky corners, near shortcuts, or to create funnels toward other placed hazards in the map. This also creates some variety inside every lap, placing / being faced with these walls forces a quick problem-solving situation for the player (or a collision).
These walls/barriers can also be countered by using another powerup that is able to destroy environmental objects (because it would destroy to wall).

The collision with a wall would not dead-stop a player who drives into it but would substantially decrease his speed. This is a bit more of an instant rewards than (for example) an oil spill since, if there is no corner or forced steering, this becomes a lot less effective. Driving into a wall works no matter the conditions of the track at that position.

SpikeX

Postby SpikeX » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:55 am

Moo wrote:Most weapons said here have a lot of inspiration from RCSII, which is great. It had some really nice ideas. :)

About the weapon charging... Wouldn't that make weapon upgrades pointless? What's the point of upgrading your weaponry in credits when you can have a powerful variant in like a lap or so?

There should be a button to just like posts.. rather then sharing the same opinion ^^ also I can't choose the amount I want on the poll D:

Nebuchaddy

Postby Nebuchaddy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:43 am

I would love to see more "baesty" weapons.

At the time, being last or near it means you must pray for a ton of Boosts and missiles. I'd love to se power-ups that only appear if you are behind, and affect the WHOLE race.

Like, when I read the Orbital Strike thing, I thought "Why stop there?". What about an orbital laser that goes through most part of the track, thick enough to hit 2 or 3 cars, but not so much so an skilled driver could dodge it.

Maybe swarm missiles that target 3 or 4 cars at the same time.

The Warp and Teleport thing from past Rollcage are also awesome.

Something like an underground torpedo, like the normal missile, but going underground and hitting cars from the botton, making them fly.

I mean, you get the idea. One of the problems I have right now is that if you make 2 perfect laps, not crashing and driving well, you end up with a lot of advantage. I'd love to feel a lot more pressure when I'm first, knowing there are a lot of things that can hit from behind and F me up. You know, just, balancing the race with more than just the catch up assist.
I'm Spanish god dammit sorry for my effing grammar jeez.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Torpedo sounds kinda badass, but hard to counter, if possible at all.

Time Warp from rollcage is coming in the form of the EMP. EMP affects everyone in the race (more so the leaders)

Swarm of missiles will be possible with stacking later on, no doubt

Overall we need more balancing with the pickups. People trailing need to be shooting more assassin's. But the EMP should help in this regard as well

Zeres wrote:DEPLOYABLE WALL - A small (destructable) wall that is placed in the map untill an opponent drives over it.

Imagine a small barrier that could be used in tricky corners, near shortcuts, or to create funnels toward other placed hazards in the map. This also creates some variety inside every lap, placing / being faced with these walls forces a quick problem-solving situation for the player (or a collision).
These walls/barriers can also be countered by using another powerup that is able to destroy environmental objects (because it would destroy to wall).

The collision with a wall would not dead-stop a player who drives into it but would substantially decrease his speed. This is a bit more of an instant rewards than (for example) an oil spill since, if there is no corner or forced steering, this becomes a lot less effective. Driving into a wall works no matter the conditions of the track at that position.

Interesting idea here, but if we toned down the mine a bit it would be very similar
Game Director
GRIP

0Blueaura
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby 0Blueaura » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:15 am

Some type of rare pickup that kicks the car high in the air, higher than typical rocket.

I was thinking of a 5 or 6 small rockets which could make a firework show :D

idea comes from torpedoes in rollcage

these rockets should be small, deploy quickly, fly fast and be easily avoidable (it also could be a cool thing to add for those players that supported for more cash, 6 colored small rockets with effects like fireworks in touch)

Put player high in the air, but not make the car lose speed or fly out left or right, just make it "jump" straight.

also it should be a pickup for wide open areas, because it would make a mayhem in the tunnel, and a shield should absorb more than 3 rockets at least
Rollcage fan since 2002, Trackmania fan since 2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

hoybrown

Postby hoybrown » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:16 am

Playing rollcage redux everyday with guys at work and the game is as insanely fun as i remembered it to be. Please find a way to implement the time warp pick-up. So frustratingly brilliant!

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”