Pick-up stacking

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
nakano

Pick-up stacking

Postby nakano » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:24 am

Not sure whether pick-up stacking was officially planned feature OR if upgrades are a way to enhance the cars in the Career mode, but still stacking is worth of thinking.

First if you have one weapon already, it's possible that it stacks or you get a second weapon. If you have both weapon slots reserved, one of those does stack if you pick up any weapon AND if the weapon has still room left for stacking. Rough ideas for weapon stacking:

Targeting Missiles:
* 1st: launches 2 missiles at the same time
* 2nd: ... 4 missiles ...
* 3rd: ... 6 missiles ...

Mines:
* 1st-2nd: 1 extra mine

Machine Gun:
* 1st-2nd: 1 extra barrel

Leader Rocket:
* 1st: Target the car currently in first.
* 2nd: As 1st + the second missile targets the car currently in second.

Driller missiles (if added later):
* 1st-2nd: 1 extra driller missiles
OR
* 1st-3rd: First rocket fires straight ahead, second at 35 angle left and third 35 angle right at a single shot.

Shield:
* 1st: Rear shield
* 2nd: Front shield
* 3rd: Turns activated rear and front shield into an offensive shield which can be used to ram opponents. (can be stacked later even if you have already activated one shield). Depending on how things are implemented, this feature could also be an upgrade in career mode. Binding this into a shield wouldn't necessarily need a new weapon type for similar effect, though.

Turbo boost: Non-stackable.

Sigrid
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: Pick-up stacking

Postby Sigrid » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:51 am

The concept of stacking weapons is nice, but it would feel totally overpowered, wouldn't it?

nakano

Postby nakano » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:07 am

It depends. I listed a few what Chris had listed in "Poll: What kinds of pick-ups would you like to see in Grip?". Maybe stacking weapons for extra shot is kind of overpowered. Thus I first thought that Machine Gun stacking would mean longer duration, but I kind of like the current duration. Stacking of extra targeting missiles doesn't sound too bad if everything is fired at once.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:13 am

The major problem of stacking is that it makes it a lot easier to deny pick-ups to those who are directly behind you.

If there is no stacking, you have to make the choice between firing them now so that you pick two new pick-ups, or let your opponent take them.
If there is stacking, this choice is irrelevant, since you can just stack and deny without losing any power-ups.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:13 am

What Potty said, you can just hoard pickups/deny them, same problem that pickup dumping can lead to.
also its really hard to balance as like you said 4 or 6 missile would make a single target fly to the moon or if its multiple enemys at once it would be way to easy to clean up in front of you or make tunnels hell with multiple mines layed down.

I'd rather have a single level pickup thats made for one specific purpose and you as a player have to work with what you got.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:44 pm

We did intend to have upgradable pickups (discussed in the forum a few times), but potty makes a really good point, in that it really caters to the players in front.

Apart from the shield (which will be upgradeable to have both front and back) I think stacking would be good in Arena mode more than racing.

And we already have variants of the missile implemented internally for testing. Level 1 is 1 missile, 2 is 2 and 3 is 3. Like I said, this would work well in Arena more than race
Game Director
GRIP

nakano

Postby nakano » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:38 pm

I agree with potterman28wxcv. Maybe limiting the stacking to shield is the best (if you pick up the second shield, then you can activate the front shield). Every mechanisms should probably work similarly in all modes, thus I would say so no weapon stacking in Arena either (well could be a variant - possible offline only).

Maybe the best place to keep "advanced weapons" (if kept) would be left for the offline Career mode. There you could upgrade your car with won money. For example, buying an upgrade to be able to shoot 1 more rocket (upgrades don't have to be seen on car) or then just be limited to "skin" upgrades.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:34 pm

Chris_CE wrote:Apart from the shield (which will be upgradeable to have both front and back) I think stacking would be good in Arena mode more than racing.

+1, Potty's argument makes perfect sense

Clone303

Postby Clone303 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:49 pm

no that's bad idea, they should not stack
Long life Rollcage again!

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:36 pm

Clone303 wrote:no that's bad idea, they should not stack

Why ? Can you further explain your opinion ?
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Clone303

Postby Clone303 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:28 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:

for lets say if someone is really luck and got alot of pickup and stack them then he can kill everyone if it's Rockets of cause, just rockets stack in both slots then you already really OP for what i have seen it only take 2 hit from rockets to die

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:51 pm

Clone303 wrote:
potterman28wxcv wrote:

for lets say if someone is really luck and got alot of pickup and stack them then he can kill everyone if it's Rockets of cause, just rockets stack in both slots then you already really OP for what i have seen it only take 2 hit from rockets to die

Ah you mean for Arena. Yeah, it would be deadly OP in Arena (or if the devs introduce car damage in race), no need to have it there

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

DrawingPlayful

Postby DrawingPlayful » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:04 am

Chris_CE wrote:We did intend to have upgradable pickups (discussed in the forum a few times), but potty makes a really good point, in that it really caters to the players in front.

Apart from the shield (which will be upgradeable to have both front and back) I think stacking would be good in Arena mode more than racing.

And we already have variants of the missile implemented internally for testing. Level 1 is 1 missile, 2 is 2 and 3 is 3. Like I said, this would work well in Arena more than race

What about stacking like in rollcage stage 2?
It was fun but still balanced in my opinion.
Only for it to work in Grip powerups would need to be more frequent than they are at the moment so the front line don't hoard everything

Clone303

Postby Clone303 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:19 pm

DrawingPlayful wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:We did intend to have upgradable pickups (discussed in the forum a few times), but potty makes a really good point, in that it really caters to the players in front.

What about stacking like in rollcage stage 2?
It was fun but still balanced in my opinion.
Only for it to work in Grip powerups would need to be more frequent than they are at the moment so the front line don't hoard everything

ohh stacking like the old Rollcage then i did think wrong for im wtih anything there has anything to do wtih the old Rollcage's so sure do it that way for that stacking was more like lvling the weapon power up

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: A perk system for GRIP

Postby Queadah » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:00 pm

And without further ado, Gentlemen, there goes:
Stacking several Scorpions is straight forward:
  • You can target up to 3 enemies simultaneously with the last evolution, or send 3 rockets to the only target you have in front of you
  • This includes environment ofc (if you have 3 racers and 2 destructible objects, racers have the priority)
The Assassin is more mean :twisted: :
  • You stack 2, you get a nuclear warhead that you launch in front of the lead racers
  • Up to a certain radius, all lead drivers get pushed back on the track (an arbitrary distance)
  • Screen gets the white flash treatment + brief atomic cloud + cam shock
  • ______________
  • Finally, the mother of all, you stack 3 Assassins
  • Orbital strike b*tches !!
  • sky changes color + dust/rock particle fly from the ground to the sky + sky beam + cam shake then...
  • One shot vaporizes the lead racer (if destruction enabled and the racer is in the open - tunnels save him)
  • Affects all but last racer (energy beam stops the cars - same result as the EMP)
  • All mines on a track get triggered and all pickups disappear from racers' slots (clean slate)
Whadyasay ? :lol:
Last edited by Queadah on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:45 am, edited 6 times in total.

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:55 pm

Queadah wrote:And without further ado, Gentlemen, there goes:

Moved the thread from Suggestions to Weapons (should have done so long ago), and moved the above post from Perk System to this thread where it is more adequate.

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Cool mock-ups Queadah ;)

We already have the 2 or 3 missile stack in the game. Just need to get the other pickups ready.

Your assassin idea is certainly interesting
Game Director
GRIP

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Oh my god is that an orbital strike for Assassin Lv. 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_P6WFxeYVY
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:27 pm

wantfastcars wrote:Oh my god is that an orbital strike for Assassin Lv. 3?

Affirm my good man ;)

Now to counter this badassness, I present to you:
Stacking the Aegis:
  • twice: you get the back and front shield
  • ______________
  • three times: the mother of all protection, the phase-out pickup
  • Described here https://cagedelement.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2790#p13485
  • ...this iteration of the aegis means the deadly blow of the Orbital strike can't kill you (if you're the leader)
  • ...yet the beam disrupts your protection away and stops you for a short while like all racers (except the last one)
  • Also, a nuclear blast from a warhead still sends you backwards (because of the energy), only you get to keep your phase-out state this time (immunity against mines/car collision/missiles)
  • Arguably, you're immune to the EMP
This way is balanced I believe :)

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:01 am

Please, don't copy the Ion cannon. :(
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”