[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 594: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 650: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1072: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5235: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3899)
Pick-up stacking - Page 3 - GRIP Video Game Forum

Pick-up stacking

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Ryu Makkuro

Re: Pick-up stacking

Postby Ryu Makkuro » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Stacking is a must for the game. You can give an option to disable that in the race menu, so those that don't like it won't use it. But it adds a lot of depth to the gameplay and makes it a lot more interesting.

As to the issue of the leader stacking... true, but the last place usually also will have an easier time stacking and since last place (when there are at least 6 players) gets Assassins almost insta-mode, stacking them up to a point where the 1st player will be blown into the outer space regardless of the level of his shield is essentially a perfect counter for that. I honestly think that stacking would help with the issue of 1st player running away, rather than making it worse.

Naturally the pickups will have to be balanced accordingly, so it's worth waiting when you have an opportunity, but not so much that you won't use it when you have someone in front of you waiting to be blown away. That said it shouldn't be as difficult to balance as some other things, namely...

... 3rd pickup slot. That is just a no-no, since pickup stealing is already an issue and the main reason why 1st player can actually run away. If you have 3 pickup slots, add to that stacking and you have potential of taking 6 pickups without dropping a single one. That's pretty much the amount of pickups most people get on average on a whole lap. With 2, you can only steal 4 pickups and the chances you'll even be able to steal them are lower, since you can only have 2 different pickups, not 3. So we have an exponential growth here, not linear.

So it's either 3rd pickup slot on all cars or pickups stacking. But with the current amount of pickups on the track aka barely having a single one when having another player nearby, 3rd pickup slot could only strengthen the "1st player running away" issue without providing any countermeasure. Currently pretty much the only time you really wish you had a 3rd pickup slot is when you're... 1st.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Queadah » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:55 am

kingbeandip
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How to Upgrade Pickups

Postby kingbeandip » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:11 pm

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:04 am

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Topics merged
Game Director

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: How to Upgrade Pickups

Postby Queadah » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:08 pm

kingbeandip

Re: How to Upgrade Pickups

Postby kingbeandip » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:06 pm

XT3

Postby XT3 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:44 am

STacking like the old Lego Racer game? I get it, I do like the idea that you could stack the powerups but in Lego racers you needed to pick up a upgrade power up in order to upgrade the power pick ups. Why not have the same kind of idea?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:16 am

playabot

Postby playabot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:17 pm

My only concern with the weapon stacking feature is that I don't want to see the function of the weapon become too different from its initial function. i.e. my reliable weapon now becomes one that I need to target (current implimentation of the force push weapon) or one that is less effective in this situation or one that has an annoying side effect that messes with its timing, like now I get a boost when I use this weapon as well as a shield, I'm about to get hit but a missile but can’t use the shield because I'm also going to be boosted into a ravine...

I would prefer a customisable weapon loadout be implimented with weapons that incrimentally get upgraded features (will make a new topic to go into this though...)

twisted

Postby twisted » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:52 am

I have an idea for mine stacking where at the last level, the player could launch a device that open in the air and drop multiple deploying mines on parachutes. It would be cool looking and create the ultimate minefield of destruction. :D

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:10 pm

Game Director

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:23 am

Last edited by Queadah on Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Similii
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Similii » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:44 pm

I agree with Queadah on this one, I know holding is at early state right now and need balancing but that's a bit too OP as Queadah said, or you could balance it by fuse holding and stacking. What I mean by that, is having two items in your slots, and holding the two buttons would allow you to have access to the level 2 of the pick-up you have
If you want to be grammar nazi to me, just do it, that will improve my english :3

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:45 pm

Stacking ftw!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

playabot

Postby playabot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:36 am

[quote="Queadah"]Standard disclaimer: there's no secret I'm

Queadah, these icons are awesome. I think you should have a shot at the disrupters icon... for me it’s not quite consistent with the others in the game. What do you think?

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:33 pm

it's the RAM raider that looks unfinished ^^
I'm... I dunno man, I feel like I'm too loud in these parts. I suggest too much.
Why not though. Disruptor is not my fav icon tbh (it's the machine gun! So much dank), so... yeah why not...

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:42 am

Disruptor and Ramraider icons are temporary. If you want to give them a shot, by all means ;)
Game Director

maniamaster
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Postby maniamaster » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:53 am

I personally adore the disruptor icon.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:48 pm

At least the fading on the small "waves" looks a bit odd. For an icon, it stands weirdly from the others

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”