Power up idea. Hacking Device/Virus

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Power up idea. Hacking Device/Virus

Postby WROB3L » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:43 pm

So i just got the idea, maybe instead of emp (or it could be a new power up) we could have a hacking device.
It could send a virus to an os of the car and just overload the breaks of the opponents car. For example, you`re racing like always and then the screen would get distorted maybe a voice could say "virus detected" (or whatever) and the wheels would just stop for a little bit.
It could be a pretty fun experience (for the first time at least xD)
Last edited by WROB3L on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Power up idea.

Postby potterman28wxcv » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:38 pm

WROB3L wrote:So i just got the idea, maybe instead of emp (or it could be a new power up) we could have a hacking device.
It could send a virus to an os of the car and just overload the breaks of the opponents car. For example, you`re racing like always and then the screen would get distorted maybe a voice could say "virus detected" (or whatever) and the wheels would just stop for a little bit.

Moved this to Weapons and Power-ups, since it's not specific to the already-existing power-ups.

How different is this from the slow-down by the EMP ? The result would be the same - your wheels stop, you slow down.
Ok, you would maybe slow-down more abruptly than with the EMP, but the idea is the same, unless there is something different that I'm missing ?
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:29 pm

potterman28wxcv wrote:
WROB3L wrote:So i just got the idea, maybe instead of emp (or it could be a new power up) we could have a hacking device.

Moved this to Weapons and Power-ups, since it's not specific to the already-existing power-ups.

How different is this from the slow-down by the EMP ? The result would be the same - your wheels stop, you slow down.
Ok, you would maybe slow-down more abruptly than with the EMP, but the idea is the same, unless there is something different that I'm missing ?

EMP would just shutdown the vehicle it would not brake or accelerate at all (if you look at it from realistic angle). Virus could f-up the breaking system.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

wantfastcars
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby wantfastcars » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:02 pm

Possibly have it function similar to the Disruptor from WipEout Pure, flipping left and right for a short duration?
Desktop: i5-3570k @ 4.6GHz, RX 480 8GB, 32GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Pro
Laptop: i7-4720HQ @ 2.6GHz, GTX970m 6GB, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 10 Home
Currently Playing: Gravity Rush 2, GRIP, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- | http://i.imgur.com/FuDx2Un.jpg

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:27 pm

I think the EMP would also fit as a counter "Assassin".
(http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=348&start=20#p6903)
Timed at the moment you hear the continuous "bip" before impact, it would trigger the missile (behind you)/render it inert.

This way you re-balance the game, provided you get as many chances to get an EMP (being 1st or 2nd) than getting an Assassin (while being in the last positions)

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:26 pm

If a virus-like weapon were to be implemented, I'd prefer wantfastcars' (WipEout's) implementation of it.
Flip left/right steering.

yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Power up idea. Hacking Device/Virus

Postby yellowquiet » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:17 am

+1 to broscar and wantfastcars
I think the EMP should shut down the car and the virus should mess with the car such as making it wiggle and lose control or fire the weapons on its on randomly.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:03 pm

i think one powerup to mess with the players ability control is enough, 2 could pretty much kill the fun when getting hit from them within a short timeframe,

Xirahii

Postby Xirahii » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:30 pm

Broscar wrote:If a virus-like weapon were to be implemented, I'd prefer wantfastcars' (WipEout's) implementation of it.

Since this is such a fast-paced racing game and precision of control is crucial, the devs should pay careful attention to how they utilize audio and visual feedback to the player when they get hit by this.

A distinct rhythmic flashing of the vehicle's lights (the system rebooting/restoring itself) and electrical "zaps" that signal that the effect will end in 2-3 seconds or so? It'll give you enough time to prepare to resume normal steering. Most of the power up's punishment should be when you initially get hit in the face with it, after all. Not when it ends (unless you're woefully inattentive).

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:50 am

Yrch wrote:i think one powerup to mess with the players ability control is enough, 2 could pretty much kill the fun when getting hit from them within a short timeframe,

or maybe the EMP can counter the virus, something like this:
"A" car is on the lead, "B" car behind him he has a virus, "C" car is the third and he has an EMP and "D" car is the fourth he also has a virus.
"B" fire the virus and hit "A" he is controls are messed up.
"C" drive close to "A" and use his EMP completely override the virus effects.
"D" use the virus on "A" but it has no effect because "A" still effected by the EMP.
Broscar wrote:If a virus-like weapon were to be implemented, I'd prefer wantfastcars' (WipEout's) implementation of it.

Not just that, but also randomly give fake feedbacks (like randomly switching the position counter number and the speedometer), fire one your power-up if had one or car suddenly the car slows down, then accelerat.
Last edited by Cybruiser57Péter on Sat May 21, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Demigan

Postby Demigan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:14 pm

Maybe instead of activating people's breaks, you can force them to use all the powerups they have.
This makes it safe(r) to pass them by, and if they have speed powerups or similar you could cause them to use them at terrible times.

Prometheus

[Suggestion] Hack

Postby Prometheus » Sat May 07, 2016 2:48 pm

The concept is simple - you hack another players vehicle. The possible implementations vary a lot though. I've put a few ideas below.

Possible targets
1 - Nearest
2 - Targeted
3 - 1st position
4 - Closest behind / targetting

Possible effects
A - Reverses targets controls for a short time (Probably just left/right).
B - Creates visual disruption effect making it harder to race/aim.
C - Steals powerup/s
D - Sets them to a (slower than average) autopilot
E - Forces them to immediately use all viable powerups (wasting their missiles, throwing them off-course etc)
F - Cuts their engines for a couple of seconds

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Re: [Suggestion] Hack

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Sat May 07, 2016 3:22 pm

We already had one Hacking Device/Virus post.
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Prometheus

Re: [Suggestion] Hack

Postby Prometheus » Sun May 08, 2016 3:21 pm

Sorry for duplicating!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri May 13, 2016 10:07 am

Merged
Game Director
GRIP

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Fri May 13, 2016 10:47 am

Cybruiser57Péter wrote:Not just that, but also randomly give fake feedbacks (like randomly switching the position counter number and the speedometer), fire one your power-up if had one or car suddenly the car slows down, then accelerat.

Sorry for digging this one up. BUT DAYUM THATS A GOOD IDEA, it could mindf*ck the player that got it, like changing the lap counter and stuff... That would be awesome.
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Sat May 21, 2016 11:41 am

Holy cow, I'm so sad I missed that. What a great idea, Cybruiser :O
Imagine the dots of the position tracker at the top left going up and down randomly, your speedometer suddenly sticking on "-42" / "1337" or the devs can even make it do extremely silly stuff like having all of your opponent's vehicles flipped so it looks like everyone is driving backwards at crazy speeds.

agcue
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby agcue » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:05 am

virus sounds cool :)

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Broscar wrote:Holy cow, I'm so sad I missed that. What a great idea, Cybruiser :O
Imagine the dots of the position tracker at the top left going up and down randomly, your speedometer suddenly sticking on "-42" / "1337" or the devs can even make it do extremely silly stuff like having all of your opponent's vehicles flipped so it looks like everyone is driving backwards at crazy speeds.

Distortion effects or cutting pieces of the screen and putting them in different spots. Sounds interesting

The EMP in my opinion either needs a big overhaul or has to be replaced by a better pickup (like virus or other)
Game Director
GRIP

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”