Weapon Suggestion: Ice Blast

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
bockadilla

Weapon Suggestion: Ice Blast

Postby bockadilla » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:39 pm

Just a suggestion for an ice gun weapon. It could either shoot the ground behind you, or aim ahead of other racers (not sure which would be better). It would create a smallish patch of icy road, with next to no grip, that would gradually disappear after a few seconds.

Thoughts?

SuperLucas335
Early Supporter 3
Early Supporter 3

Re: Weapon Suggestion: Ice Blast

Postby SuperLucas335 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:07 am

Interesting. How would this work if you shoot the roof? Shooting corners of tight bends would be OP, but I could see the weapon in the game! When the game is finally released there might be customs to add to your tyres that make them less slippery on ice. (hence Norvos is an ice world)
Maybe It could be an exclusive weapon to Norvos!

nellybergamo

Postby nellybergamo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:32 am

I'd love to see this replace the normal mine, because atm it has no counterplay if placed in a good position (and you dont happen to have a machinegun with you).
Now if driving into the mine didn't completely blow you halfway to the stars 9/10 times but freeze you and make you lose grip for 1-2 sec it could be outplayed with driving skill while still being deadly to anyone who doesn't plan ahead and just runs into it.

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:32 am

i like the idea but as Superlucas said, it could be very op in specific parts of a track and force other racers into walls and such.
but im all for trying it!

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:18 pm

I think toning down the mine is a good suggestion

How would this ice gun work on Norvos? :P
Game Director
GRIP

NecroWolf12
Early Supporter 2
Early Supporter 2

Postby NecroWolf12 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:45 am

It could be an oil slick instead of ice. Same effect, but it fits the aesthetic and logic of the game world a bit better
"Hollow the leader"

Yrch
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Yrch » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:59 pm

NecroWolf12 wrote:It could be an oil slick instead of ice. Same effect, but it fits the aesthetic and logic of the game world a bit better

first if all, oil slick is just a trope by now ;)
also ice seems more logical to dissapear after a while and is more futuristic than dumping some dead dinosaur stuff

bockadilla

Postby bockadilla » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:34 pm

SuperLucas335 wrote:Interesting. How would this work if you shoot the roof? Shooting corners of tight bends would be OP, but I could see the weapon in the game! When the game is finally released there might be customs to add to your tyres that make them less slippery on ice. (hence Norvos is an ice world)
Maybe It could be an exclusive weapon to Norvos!

I guess it would act the same on the roof, if it's after a jump like in Alhatra Wastes you'd just have to make sure you take the jump straight on so you don't slide into the wall when you land on the roof. It could also prevent you from maintaining your speed well. You would slow down a bit so if you were just not fast enough when going on the roof you could fall off again.

The custom tyres sound great, maybe there could be something similar to help with really bumpy, uneven road so you don't bounce around as much.

I guess on Norvos (if there is going to be icy bits of road) it wouldn't really affect the icy roads. But if there was a clear part of road the weapon would work as usual.

Cybruiser57Péter
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4

Postby Cybruiser57Péter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:26 am

Yrch wrote:
NecroWolf12 wrote:It could be an oil slick instead of ice. Same effect, but it fits the aesthetic and logic of the game world a bit better

first if all, oil slick is just a trope by now ;)
also ice seems more logical to dissapear after a while and is more futuristic than dumping some dead dinosaur stuff

True, but on Norvos (ice planet) the ice blast becomes useless so it's need an alternative.
Science WINS again!!!
Then they opened a portal to another dimension and kidnapping the locals.
The pissed locals are head enough and strike back.
and then... ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE :twisted:

Demigan

Postby Demigan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:58 am

Just make up some mumbo jumbo about a temporary frictionless surface (or lowered friction surface) through some kind of magic physics, this explains why it can be used on already iced planets etc.

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:52 am

Chris_CE wrote:How would this ice gun work on Norvos? :P

Snow <-> ice, different grip :p

tjgcrush
#1 Tester
#1 Tester

Postby tjgcrush » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:54 am

Broscar wrote:
Chris_CE wrote:How would this ice gun work on Norvos? :P

Snow <-> ice, different grip :p

why not some type of magnetic pulse that interferes with the cars wheels and spins it out of control
And with his chrome V8 toys
Immortan Joe created the WarBoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyRXvHmXxo

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:39 pm

Well, for the Norvos planet, when big ice fields come up, you could have some track specific powerups in line (like 4) before them, which push out studs from the tires, for normal grip. If someone misses them, you could say they sucked it. But it is another topic, ofc :D

https://youtu.be/v4Fh_BdoWEA?t=118

So, nowadays car maneuvering can become slippery because:

--Tires

- slippery substance comes in contact with the tyres, which is no matter in our case, since we have sandy terrains and in the future, we will have snowy terrains aswell.
- aged or burnt tread tires, which can no longer provide the required grip anymore (heat can fasten up the aging process), but still no use because of the aforementioned circumstances. On porous terrain nearly anything is just fine, until it have some traction maintaining profile on it.
- low or no pressure in tires which would make some sense in any terrain, and could be caused by a pickup which would be droppable spikes i guess. Could work with the car's self repair ability aswell, since we already have automatic pressure maintaining and "defect repairing on the run" wheels in our age

--Steering wheel malfunctioning (servo motors give up the fight for some reason, mostly because of electronic failure, or bad maintenance, but that couldn't be the case here)

-- Brake failures on random wheels

These could come in my head for the topic, and I think, the spike powerup would be the most reasonable choice here. And to have it work on ceilings aswell, it could come in some droppable, short fused time-bomb form with shrapnels in it, so the spikes could stick in any terrain in any angle.

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”