Basic incapacitation model?

From turbos to missiles, discuss Grip's pick-ups here
Demigan

Basic incapacitation model?

Postby Demigan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:10 am

Now the title may not be the best, but it is what I would like to discuss and something that may be added somewhere before people come up with weapon idea's.

The game will feature weapons that will do any number of things to other racers. From bullets that cause you to spin out of control to missiles that make you fly off the track. Each ability has a different ease of use, power and length of time it incapacitates someone. Now imagine if one weapon was way, way too good, like a weapon that causes other racers to lose grip entirely and have trouble staying on roofs or making turns... for a whole minute. Now that is an extreme example, but it does give us the question: How much time should the average weapon cost your enemy? How do you want to implement it?

Now why am I posting this? I'm looking back at RC2 where you had the Stasis beam for instance. The idea wasn't even that bad, you charge up and fire a beam that follows the environment untill it hits a wall or too steep angle, passing through any vehicle on it's path. But then came the headache: Any vehicle hit would be launched into the air and frozen for several seconds. Unlike the triple-twisting-missile weapon this thing was fast and basically travelled across any part of the map in less than a second, so once you had your aim right it was a straight hit. Combine that with all your enemies lifted in the air out of your way as well as frozen into the air and it was basically an astronomically more powerful weapon than most others available which just tossed you around a bit.

So, what is the general concensus? I think that Grip should avoid things like Stasis altogether, it's about racing, not about looking when your vehicle comes out of stasis. The missiles seem fun things from what I've seen, with RC's slower missile speed they add that moment of dread/joy watching your missile move for your enemy, hoping like hell he doesn't reach that corner in time to have it ram the environment, if you do get hit you just fly through the air for a second, land and instantly start racing again.
Most weapons should be similar: Either you are tossed around for a second (rockets, missiles, mines, possible "launch rings" etc), or your control becomes compromised somewhat (machine guns, tire-freeze weapons, viruses? etc).

potterman28wxcv
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: Basic incapacitation model?

Postby potterman28wxcv » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:06 pm

In short, weapons should not stop the flow of the game that much.
Which is a problem specific to the more general "weapon balancing" problem

This kind of stuff (weapon "freeze" duration, severity of punishment, etc..) can all be modified along Early Access.

If the devs implement some day a "RC2 statis beam like" weapon, and if it's too OP, they will get feedback on the forum for sure.
That's what happened with the 1.0.2 version of mines. They were way too powerful, so they nerfed it.
Because I'm even more boring than Broscar -> Rules of the GRIP forum
Check out the sign-ups for the Rollcage Neo-mode Tournament 2017, starting 15th April !

And with a rusty wrench
God created the french

Admin of the Image

Demigan

Re: Basic incapacitation model?

Postby Demigan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:56 am

potterman28wxcv wrote:In short, weapons should not stop the flow of the game that much.
Which is a problem specific to the more general "weapon balancing" problem

This kind of stuff (weapon "freeze" duration, severity of punishment, etc..) can all be modified along Early Access.

If the devs implement some day a "RC2 statis beam like" weapon, and if it's too OP, they will get feedback on the forum for sure.
That's what happened with the 1.0.2 version of mines. They were way too powerful, so they nerfed it.

Trial and error, got it. I'll see about buying the early access one of these weeks.

Return to “Weapons and Power-ups”