Which version of the menu theme do you prefer?

Tune talk - what do you think of GRIP's music lineup?
Audio discussion - anything to do with the sound of the game
finn183

Which version of the menu theme do you prefer?

Postby finn183 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:40 am

Personally, I love the first one. Really fits the feel of the game and the look of the menu.

VooDooQky

Re: Which version of the menu theme do you prefer?

Postby VooDooQky » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:02 pm

For me, the current one is more appealing.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:48 pm

I kinda know what you're saying finn183.
Even though I prefer and enjoy the second and current one, I feel like it's too windowy.

But it's early days, and GRIP's EA. Menus that do their job best imo are both functional and embedded in the game's lore (I'm thinking about Metro 2033 where the whole menu is an underground station).

The perfect menu doesn't pull you out of the game. It disguises settings and features using game assets (or new ones) to solidify or help create the story being told.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:48 pm

finn183 wrote:Personally, I love the first one. Really fits the feel of the game and the look of the menu.

What about:
Only game assets and textures were used
  • Settings menu is on the green panel (camera moves there upon selection)
  • Single event and multiplayer appear after camera moves to the planet on the background (map choice prettier - cam can flip flop, there's no way up or down looking at a planet)
  • Clicking campaign triggers a small cinematic of the car jumping into space
    (see space drop campaign idea https://cagedelement.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3595#p15176)
Garage like this:
  • Car stats visible on the green screen (more organic)
  • slight zoom on various car parts upon selection for choice, following the rotation movement
  • blue barrier at the end of the garage to allow atmosphere

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:30 pm

We spent a lot of time on the new menu. It's here to stay in it's current form, guys

The garage 3D background and stuff may change, but the overall theme is staying the same

But don't let that discourage the conversation :P
Game Director
GRIP

Broscar
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Broscar » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:31 am

I'm in love with the new menu. It elevated the game from 'some proof of concept trash' to 'yes, we are professionals'.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:25 am

Broscar wrote:I'm in love with the new menu. It elevated the game from 'some proof of concept trash' to 'yes, we are professionals'.

Yeah, I really can't see it any other way. The new menu is leagues more professional and impressive compared to the old one
Game Director
GRIP

WROB3L
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby WROB3L » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:41 am

Chris_CE wrote:
Broscar wrote:I'm in love with the new menu. It elevated the game from 'some proof of concept trash' to 'yes, we are professionals'.

Yeah, I really can't see it any other way. The new menu is leagues more professional and impressive compared to the old one

You guys could also implement queadahs idea, as i said in one of the posts, when you go into the garage there would be a really fast animation of camera going from the surface of the planet to the spaceship (E3 2015 No Man`s Sky style)
FOR THE RAZIELIM!

And with a pot of F*ckedUppery
Powerful Cthulhu created me :twisted:

One of the first players in Image 3rd or 4th. I dont remember xD

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

That's something we'd think about when the game is already finished
Game Director
GRIP

playabot

Postby playabot » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:17 am

I am a massive fan of the work done on the menus for the game but there are one or two things that I think could be changed to ad style and focus to the piece.

As it is, the imagery of the menu (background) is closely aligned to the terrain of one planet, Jahtrah, which, correct me if I’m wrong, is also indicative of standard UE4 assets (sky box, colouring and so on).

What I suggest is that the menu background be presented in a grey scale (somewhat reminiscent of the current load screen) with some points of interest given colour i.e. missile burn, explosion, jet engines. Background assets in the menu could also be adjusted slightly or be removed so that they are no longer indicative of Jahtrah and instead could relate to any one of the locations in the game or none. Text and options would retain their colour and a final pass of the options menu can clean things up – I’m sure this will need to happen when controller support is added.

In this way, thematically (and hopefully cheaply $$), the menu becomes more broadly a representation of the game in its entirety rather than representing one planet - as one planet is no longer distinct in the image.

It has also been suggested that rather than the vehicle selection screen appearing track side – it could appear inside the hanger of a space craft above the planet. I am also in support of this as the illusion then is that we are in orbit of that location. This would also assist with the issue of ‘scale’ as the vehicles can be re-framed inside the hanger. At present your vehicle sits alongside large bricks, rubble, and oil drums and this does nothing to ad to the sense of scale I know the devs are pursuing.
Last edited by playabot on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:42 pm

playabot wrote:As it is, the imagery of the menu (background) is closely aligned to the terrain of one planet, Jahtrah, which, correct me if I’m wrong, is also indicative of standard UE4 assets (sky box, colouring and so on).

[...]

In this way, thematically (and hopefully cheaply $$), the menu becomes more broadly a representation of the game in its entirety rather than representing one planet - as one planet is no longer distinct in the image.

It has also been suggested that rather than the vehicle selection screen appearing track side – it could appear inside the hanger of a space craft above the planet. I am also in support of this as the illusion then is that we are in orbit of that (generic/all inclusive) location. This would also assist with the issue of ‘scale’ as the vehicles can be re-framed inside the hanger. At present your vehicle sits alongside large bricks, rubble, and oil drums and this does nothing to ad to the sense of scale I know the devs are pursuing.

+999... 8-)

VooDooQky

Postby VooDooQky » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Could have them wheels spinning slowly too^^

playabot

Postby playabot » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:03 am

Any chance the vehicles on the menu screen can be randomised - So that different vehicle models appear in frame from time to time? Or could it be customised by the player??

To expand on the vehicle select idea - this could be a large space in the cargo bay of a space craft. It would have a black shiny floor... like a certain other racing game a lot of us are fond of... Vehicles could be parked in this bay in different sections for each team.

So initially the player will cycle by team grouping with all vehicles in frame i.e. rogue, warlander, jugglenut.

Then select a team and the camera zooms in infront of one of the vehicles i.e. zooms in to frame the vehicle from a first person perspective, showing off their scale.

Then select a vehicel and the camera slides to the angle that we are used to now only the vehicle will be rotatable by the player (possibly rotate and zoom).

Jeunepuissance

Postby Jeunepuissance » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:43 am

The one in the current version is my favorite, the slow tempo of it frustrates me just enough to get started!
Plus it makes me eager to hear some faster music, it is very good.

However, I don't know if it is a good or a bad thing but I like less the next part of the actual song. The bad part might be that I feel like going elsewhere sometimes doing something else, the good part being that since I'm not that eager to hear it, I'll select everything super fast in the menu and go racing right away!

I get the same feeling listening to it in the menu than when the countdown starts to appear: "3, 2, 1" etc...

It is very good in my opinion.

Return to “Music & Sound”