General Sound Effects

Tune talk - what do you think of GRIP's music lineup?
Audio discussion - anything to do with the sound of the game
User avatar
yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Yes

General Sound Effects

Postby yellowquiet » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:52 pm

I was wondering what kind of sound effects should be used in the game.
I'd like to hear a siren before the race starts like they did in RC1&2 and grinding noises when the cars manage to touch the ground.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

User avatar
Tazeram
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:27 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby Tazeram » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:05 am

Yeah, i was wondering this too...

Looking at the Trailer, it seems they are re-using the original Rollcage vehicle sounds, which is awesome, but the 'Homing Rocket' and 'Machine Gun' seem to have welcomed updated sounds.

What is also new, is the 'Turbo Boost' sound and obtaining a hologram pickup sound, but with these two i miss the old Rollcage sounds. I'm not sure if 'Turbo Boost' has a FX sound upon use. I think i hear something subtle amidst the vehicle noises.

I wonder what sound FX they can re-use without copyright issues, and which ones they don't want to re-use to can't re-use.

User avatar
yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Yes

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:30 pm

I'm also wondering if there will be different engine noises. This was mentioned in a different thread but I would like to hear the standard engine noise of the first rollcage to low grumbles of a very large engine to the high pitched noise similar to a formula 1 car before they bastardized them by turbocharging. It would be interesting to see an electric car too. There is a league of electric race car called formula E and they sound like giant electric remote controlled cars. And it would be cool to hear a car that has a jet turbine as a engine.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

User avatar
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby Chris_CE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Tazeram wrote:Looking at the Trailer, it seems they are re-using the original Rollcage vehicle sounds, which is awesome, but the 'Homing Rocket' and 'Machine Gun' seem to have welcomed updated sounds.

What is also new, is the 'Turbo Boost' sound and obtaining a hologram pickup sound, but with these two i miss the old Rollcage sounds. I'm not sure if 'Turbo Boost' has a FX sound upon use. I think i hear something subtle amidst the vehicle noises.

I wonder what sound FX they can re-use without copyright issues, and which ones they don't want to re-use to can't re-use.

Hah... no no no no, that is not the original Rollcage vehicle sound. It's completely different. We don't want to get sued ;)

All the sound effects were made by myself, and I'm not sound designer, I just modified free samples, etc.

Once we get funding, we'll have a real sound designer so expect most of the sounds currently in the game to change
Game Director
GRIP

User avatar
Tazeram
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:27 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby Tazeram » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:12 am

Chris_CE wrote:Hah... no no no no, that is not the original Rollcage vehicle sound. It's completely different. We don't want to get sued ;)

All the sound effects were made by myself, and I'm not sound designer, I just modified free samples, etc.


Ah, my bad! It sounded similar... :P

I actually like the 'Machine Gun' and 'Homing Rocket' sound... it's what would be expected.

User avatar
TOSSMEH
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:31 am

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby TOSSMEH » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:21 pm

I'd like to see music-changing effects, music drops out a bit if you go flying through the air or maybe even stutters a bit if you slam particularly hard into a floor or into a wall or get hit by a missile, personally i think it adds impact to things when your music has to stop and say "GODDAMN" for a split-second.
Gripping Grip's Grip Greatly Grudgingly

User avatar
KazzyMac
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: North Lincolnshire, Ye Olde Englande
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby KazzyMac » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:23 pm

TOSSMEH wrote:I'd like to see music-changing effects, music drops out a bit if you go flying through the air or maybe even stutters a bit if you slam particularly hard into a floor or into a wall or get hit by a missile, personally i think it adds impact to things when your music has to stop and say "GODDAMN" for a split-second.


This.

Blur did this to an extent (distortion in the music when hit by weapons) and I can't really think of any other relatively-recent games that had audio that was 'dynamic' in the way of reacting to crashes/hits like that.
Image

Look at the road-holding on these babies. Clarkson would cream himself. :ugeek:

Broscar, your car skin is called Tropical. ; )


User avatar
RollingGuyMaster
Early Supporter 4
Early Supporter 4
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:41 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby RollingGuyMaster » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:17 pm

I dont know if i already said this or not.. but if the cars are going to be going near the sound barrier in speeds would it be cool if all the audio crackled and slowly faded to just a pitch?
Kinda like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n82Efr3M5Vs
And when you slow down the audio fades back.

User avatar
yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Yes

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby yellowquiet » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:02 am

I'm liking the sounds of the audio distortions and effects.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

Joda
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:29 am

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby Joda » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:46 am

Getting sued seems pretty unlikely. I can't speak for the original, but I worked on Stage 2. The assets were all created from SFX libraries and personal recordings that would be pretty easy to recreate or purchase, and really hard to make a case against.
That said, why would you want to use the original assets? The PS1 only had 512k to work with, so every car engine, gunshot, skid and impact all had to fit into that. Rose tinted specs might make you remember it as sounding better, but really it was pretty low fi. I'd expect the sfx to have the same level of modern day polish as the gfx. To be fair, a couple of meg of audio per vehicle is more in line with games like Grid and Need for Speed.
The other problem is it was 15 years ago. I'm not entirely sure I'd have the faintest idea where the CD-R with the audio on even is.



Chris_CE wrote:
Tazeram wrote:Looking at the Trailer, it seems they are re-using the original Rollcage vehicle sounds, which is awesome, but the 'Homing Rocket' and 'Machine Gun' seem to have welcomed updated sounds.

What is also new, is the 'Turbo Boost' sound and obtaining a hologram pickup sound, but with these two i miss the old Rollcage sounds. I'm not sure if 'Turbo Boost' has a FX sound upon use. I think i hear something subtle amidst the vehicle noises.

I wonder what sound FX they can re-use without copyright issues, and which ones they don't want to re-use to can't re-use.

Hah... no no no no, that is not the original Rollcage vehicle sound. It's completely different. We don't want to get sued ;)

All the sound effects were made by myself, and I'm not sound designer, I just modified free samples, etc.

Once we get funding, we'll have a real sound designer so expect most of the sounds currently in the game to change

User avatar
Tazeram
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:27 pm
Location: England
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby Tazeram » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:53 am

Joda wrote:I can't speak for the original, but I worked on Stage 2.


You did? Contact the developers. They worked on the original games too and would probably be happy to hear from you?...

Joda wrote:That said, why would you want to use the original assets?


Nostalgia is a strong emotion!

I'm not sure really realistic sounds would suit 'Grip' well, but i welcome weapon sounds packing more of a punch where suitable hehe. But then again, it is a futuristic game, so i guess it is up to the Sound Designer to come up with some really interesting futuristic sounds which suites the game, which have the freedom to occupy higher file sizes. :P

User avatar
yellowquiet
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Yes

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby yellowquiet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Tazeram wrote:I'm not sure really realistic sounds would suit 'Grip' well, but i welcome weapon sounds packing more of a punch where suitable hehe. But then again, it is a futuristic game, so i guess it is up to the Sound Designer to come up with some really interesting futuristic sounds which suites the game, which have the freedom to occupy higher file sizes. :P

I agree somewhat. I would like a formula sound for at least one car or something similar to WipEout 2048 engine sounds. The engine sounds for that sounds like a futuristic F1 car.
I didn't even know what was in the splatter pack before I bought it.

User avatar
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Michael (our Sound Designer) is excited about making sounds and music dynamic depending on the situation. So like TOSSMEH said, it coulld change when you're airborn or on the tail of someone or just took a hit from a missile.

But like everything else, it's inclusion depends on the amount of funding we have
Game Director
GRIP

User avatar
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby Chris_CE » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:20 pm

Joda wrote:Getting sued seems pretty unlikely. I can't speak for the original, but I worked on Stage 2. The assets were all created from SFX libraries and personal recordings that would be pretty easy to recreate or purchase, and really hard to make a case against.
That said, why would you want to use the original assets? The PS1 only had 512k to work with, so every car engine, gunshot, skid and impact all had to fit into that. Rose tinted specs might make you remember it as sounding better, but really it was pretty low fi. I'd expect the sfx to have the same level of modern day polish as the gfx. To be fair, a couple of meg of audio per vehicle is more in line with games like Grid and Need for Speed.
The other problem is it was 15 years ago. I'm not entirely sure I'd have the faintest idea where the CD-R with the audio on even is.

We're just trying to stay away from any assets or names attached to Rollcage or S2.
Don't know if your comment about wanting to use original assets is aimed at me, but I had and have no intention of using stuff from those games for GRIP. This is a new game with all-new content.

What was your role in Stage 2? I think Dave's got an idea as to who you are ;)

Welcome to the forums by the way!
Game Director
GRIP

User avatar
StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:54 pm
Location: Sweden, Karlstad
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby StickyBassline » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:11 pm

yellowquiet wrote:I'm also wondering if there will be different engine noises. This was mentioned in a different thread but I would like to hear the standard engine noise of the first rollcage to low grumbles of a very large engine to the high pitched noise similar to a formula 1 car before they bastardized them by turbocharging. It would be interesting to see an electric car too. There is a league of electric race car called formula E and they sound like giant electric remote controlled cars. And it would be cool to hear a car that has a jet turbine as a engine.


Made an account to post this suggestion, I absolutely love brutal engine sounds and it would fit so good for this game! It would definitely be a big plus in my book if we could at least get different alternatives when it comes to engine sounds :)
You're just a voice pal.

User avatar
Unreal.2K7
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby Unreal.2K7 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q94F-RV ... u.be&t=126
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pVUPtR ... tu.be&t=59

Right at the starting line. Mixed sound of jet engines and, petrol engines. I will scream.
Image
Oh yeah? I'm so boring that http://forum.cagedelement.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5
"Remember that if we weren't on early access, you wouldn't be playing this game until next summer (beta)"

User avatar
StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:54 pm
Location: Sweden, Karlstad
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby StickyBassline » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:22 pm

Unreal.2K7 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q94F-RVnVkg&feature=youtu.be&t=126
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pVUPtR ... tu.be&t=59

Right at the starting line. Mixed sound of jet engines and, petrol engines. I will scream.


Mixed sounds of that jet and this brutal engine https://youtu.be/hFnu_Lg0GI0?t=78

Almost the same size and shame too, I would scream as well.
You're just a voice pal.

User avatar
Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer
Posts: 2175
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby Chris_CE » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:26 pm

StickyBassline wrote:
yellowquiet wrote:I'm also wondering if there will be different engine noises. This was mentioned in a different thread but I would like to hear the standard engine noise of the first rollcage to low grumbles of a very large engine to the high pitched noise similar to a formula 1 car before they bastardized them by turbocharging. It would be interesting to see an electric car too. There is a league of electric race car called formula E and they sound like giant electric remote controlled cars. And it would be cool to hear a car that has a jet turbine as a engine.


Made an account to post this suggestion, I absolutely love brutal engine sounds and it would fit so good for this game! It would definitely be a big plus in my book if we could at least get different alternatives when it comes to engine sounds :)

Don't know how I missed this before..

YES, we want awesome, beastly engine sounds, and different ones from each car. Michael has some great ideas for this.

Also, I'm partial to the grumpert (wait for it to really accelerate): https://youtu.be/8Mmnzt20lTY ;)
Game Director
GRIP

User avatar
StickyBassline
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:54 pm
Location: Sweden, Karlstad
Contact:

Re: General Sound Effects

Postby StickyBassline » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:05 am

Chris_CE wrote: YES, we want awesome, beastly engine sounds, and different ones from each car. Michael has some great ideas for this.

Also, I'm partial to the grumpert (wait for it to really accelerate): https://youtu.be/8Mmnzt20lTY ;)


I'm so horny now, thanks devs! <3
You're just a voice pal.


Return to “Music & Sound”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron