New game mode suggestion - Chase

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
playabot

New game mode suggestion - Chase

Postby playabot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Two drivers line up on the starting line. On the countdown the first driver is given a head start, 5 seconds maybe, and then the chaser can come off the line.

The idea is that the leader can only pick up defensive weapons and the chaser can only pick up offensive weapons.

Its turn based so both drivers get a chance to either chase or run.

Points are awarded for time spent in the lead, top speed, any increase in the distance between the leader and chaser. The game mode ends if the chaser catches the leader or if the leader outruns the chaser (puts enough distance between himself and the chaser) and then roles revers. A winner is decided by comparing the points earned in a set number of races.

Catch up assist can maybe be removed so that we are looking at pure skill based driving. Weapons can also maybe switch to a skill mode during these races, so for example, shield needs to be timed with missile impact rather than being active at all times. Other tweaks may also become available (haven’t thought of any yet).

This would work well while we have a small player base and would lend itself well to split screen later on.

The game mode could be scaled for more players or a team based structure with one team chasing another. Or one vehicle chasing multiple foes.

Would take tuning but I think this would be a great addition.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Re: New game mode suggestion - Chase

Postby Chris_CE » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:28 pm

Pretty cool idea, and wouldn't take too much time to implement I think. Something of a mini game mode. Wouldn't make it in until final version though - and I'd like to see something like survival before that
Game Director
GRIP

Splotchie

Postby Splotchie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:29 am

I'd play it.
An odd choice for ship's cat...
Check out my original music at https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com, or anything else under Vertigo Fox!

playabot

Postby playabot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:51 pm

The mode could also be done without weapons entirely – may be a little uninteresting for all but the most competitive mates though

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Postby Queadah » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:16 am

No need for a separate mode for that mode then. Just disable pickups in "options" ;)

Return to “Game Modes”