About the carkour mode

Discuss anything related to GRIP's proposed game modes
Mik1
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

About the carkour mode

Postby Mik1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:26 pm

I dont usually write long rants, but id like to try to get my thoughts out about carkour so bear with me.

So carkour kinda feels like a forgotten smaller minigame that hasnt been updated since it was introduced, but this makes sense because its such a lower priority mode compared to the main game so i would rather have the developers focus on the main gameplay first instead of bringing carkour up to date for now, but carkour is still part of the game so ive been thinking how it could be improved and brought up to date with rest of the game.

So personally i like the idea of carkour, im a big fan of hardcore platformers and carkour mixes platforming elements into the game but at its current state i dont like it that much.
The nightmare difficulty is a true challenge, but i feel its for the wrong reasons. Both of the levels feel like you are at the mercy how the physics react to your car (more on half tubes tho).
I got a video where i tried to highlight issues i had with half tubes specifically https://youtu.be/k8jwJZiEJV8 but summed up i feel like you lose control of your car at random, and there isnt enough room to regain control of your car untill the next jump so maybe if the wallride parts were slightly longer youd have a change to regain control of your car after the jump and readjust.

Another thing i found pretty weird is how you get the normal racing options of speed and picking a car on your own, in rc2 you had 1 car that was used for all the tracks so you didnt have to worry if your car choise is differend from the one the track was tested with. Some may prefer being able to pick any car for any track but i thought it would make it more "controlled" if the settings are locked to specific ones designed for the track.

Now that we have the jump feature this adds whole new possibilities for level design, and additionally itll serve as a tutorial/practise for using the jump mechanism. Also the current tracks could have the jump setting disabled unless you want to intentionally keep shortcuts you can access by jumping.

The difficulty in general, id like to see the hardest tracks being longer, but more consistent so it would be a longer challenge but it doesnt come down to mastering a few gimmicky jumps like on loop gap. I like the easier levels the way its short and simple as it is now.

And for my last suggestion... Again i understand the team is busy with the main game, but a carkour level editor would allow the community to make their own tracks for it since carkour tracks are a lot easier to make than main game racetracks. I dont know how much interest other people got for making carkour tracks, but there was a discussion about this in a differend topic here https://www.cagedelement.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3793&p=17532 where it could be possible to just have a basic version of the game for unreal engine that would allow making tracks in editor, id personally be happy with that instead of an easy to use ingame editor that would be a lot bigger investment to create.

This is just my take on it, i tried to keep it constructive critisism but if you agree/disagree id like to hear others thoughts on it too.

Queadah
Early Supporter 6
Early Supporter 6

Re: About the carkour mode

Postby Queadah » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:15 pm

I agree.

The whole Carkour concept needs more spice for the flavour. Something to set it appart.
Its "minigame" status should be assumed and expanded... when and if resource allows ;)

Costa

Postby Costa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:39 pm

i think its something that needs the lowest priority right now.

Chris_CE
Grip Developer
Grip Developer

Postby Chris_CE » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Very low priority. I think the only way Carkour gets attention is if we release a map editor and people make it a cult classic hit
Game Director
GRIP

DriftRacer14

Postby DriftRacer14 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:40 pm

I suggested an InGame (possibly [but preferrably not] DLC) Track Editor for Sky Tracks before
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3950
but a track editor mode for Carkour would be amazing as well.

In general I find Carkour, well, broken. In one level in particular the end goal is visible from where you are from the start as it's literally on a part of the track directly above the starting area, and for some reason I always collect the thing as I'm driving under it, giving me an insanely small time. We're talking less than five seconds, since the game 'thinks' the goal is RIGHT THERE lol.

I know Carkour isn't CarCORE, but it would be nice to see it at least fixed lol

Additionally there's a YouTube video of the old 'Construction Site/Playground' Carkour map where the guy playing was driving up one of the outer walls. He flew off the top and landed balanced perfectly vertical; thrusters on the ground, wheels JUST SHORT of getting traction because the car sticks out beyond the wheels in the front and back, it was a sad sight to see. The massive jet powered behemoth stuck perched on its thrusters, akin to a turtle stuck on its back... in reality the jet engines would/should have either blown up, or pushed the car to a point where it could get back on its wheels, but I digress...
OK, tell it to me straight... in Rollcage Stage II... was Winter Wonderland II even possible to Gold Medal...? :cry:

Retreating is Running Away. Falling Back, however, is simply Advancing in a Different Direction.

Return to “Game Modes”